Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 08-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Post Dickens, Charles: Bleak House (Illustrated). v7. 21 Apr 2011

Description from Amazon:

As the interminable case of Jarndyce and Jarndyce grinds its way through the Court of Chancery, it draws together a disparate group of people: Ada and Richard Clare, whose inheritance is gradually being devoured by legal costs; Esther Summerson, a ward of court, whose parentage is a source of deepening mystery; the menacing lawyer Tulkinghorn; the determined sleuth Inspector Bucket; and even Jo, the destitute little crossing-sweeper. A savage, but often comic, indictment of a society that is rotten to the core, Bleak House is one of Dickens's most ambitious novels, with a range that extends from the drawing rooms of the aristocracy to the poorest of London slums.

Speaking on a personal level, I have to say that this is my favorite novel, by my favourite author. The first chapter's description of a foggy London has come to epitomise Victorian London for many. The characterisation is magnificent; the plots and sub-plots fascinating and complex. This is no easy read, but a novel which can be read and re-read for a lifetime, with each re-reading revealing new depths to it (which I guess is as good a definition of "great literature" as any).

This is a new version of the book, with the 40 original illustrations by "Phiz" and much better formatting than the previous versions, with dashes preserved.

Enjoy!

EDIT: v6, 22 Dec 07

Replaced words in capitals with italics, where appropriate, to match printed book. Uploaded v6.

EDIT: v7, 21 Apr 11

Thoroughly proof-read against the "Oxford Illustrated Dickens" edition. Many errors fixed, and a huge amount of missing punctuation (in the order of 20,000 items) added and corrected. All the illustrations have been re-scanned and are now of much better quality than before. Various things such as letters have been replaced with graphical versions, which look much better. I would now regard this as a "finished" version; if you find any remaining errors, now matter how small, please let me know. Uploaded v7.

Previous download count: 1221
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Bleak House.mobi (9.79 MB, 2676 views)

Last edited by HarryT; 04-21-2011 at 07:05 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Replaced words in capitals with italics (where appropriate), as in the printed book.

Finally figured out how to create "proper" MobiPocket books using the "MobiGen" tool. This has numerous advantages, such as proper "metadata" in the file (author's name, title, etc), full-sized pictures and cover image, and menu links to table of contents.

This is my first attempt at creating a book like this; comments are, of course, very welcome.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
Stephanos
Connoisseur
Stephanos doesn't litterStephanos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
The Dickens books look great. Thanks for you work. Unfortunately, now that you are using the official "MobiGen" tool instead of Book Designer one can no longer unpack the files using the ABC Palm Converter in order to recompile the files to read in another format, such as .imp (for the EB-1150). Perhaps something could be worked out so that those who cannot use the Mobi or Sony formats can still enjoy the fruits of your labor on their particular reader?
Stephanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanos View Post
The Dickens books look great. Thanks for you work. Unfortunately, now that you are using the official "MobiGen" tool instead of Book Designer one can no longer unpack the files using the ABC Palm Converter in order to recompile the files to read in another format, such as .imp (for the EB-1150). Perhaps something could be worked out so that those who cannot use the Mobi or Sony formats can still enjoy the fruits of your labor on their particular reader?
My mobi2html which is part of Mobiperl (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17718) can explode MobiPocket files and I just tested if on Bleak House and I got an HTML file with working links and images.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
Stephanos
Connoisseur
Stephanos doesn't litterStephanos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
tompe, that's great to learn. Thanks for developing these scripts. Any chance you can include a Windows executable of mobi2html in the .rar you have on your website?
Stephanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will inlcude it in the windows rar-file relatively soon when I have tested a bit more. I have to reboot my computer to do it and I do not want to do that too often.

In Bleak House, how was the anchor points generated? In the file you get a reference with "filepos=XXXXXXXX" and that points to a position which have an "<a>". For Bleak House it was "<a>" at each position and what I wondered was if that was something I could trust for books done this way?

Sooner or later I will fix the program so it does not make this assumption but if it already works for a lot of file can wait a bit with that.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:07 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

All the internal links were done using Book Designer. That seems to use standard HTML syntax for anchors and links.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All the internal links were done using Book Designer. That seems to use standard HTML syntax for anchors and links.
OK, good to know. I changed my program to assume that the anchor starts with "<a" instead and I think that will work in nearly every case. Book designer probably generated "<a name="something"> and mobigen replaced that with "<a>". But it did not have to replace it because it will work as well just keeping the name attribute. Now my solution handle both cases.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thoroughly proof-read against the "Oxford Illustrated Dickens" edition. Many errors fixed, and a huge amount of missing punctuation (in the order of 20,000 items) added and corrected. All the illustrations have been re-scanned and are now of much better quality than before. Various things such as letters have been replaced with graphical versions, which look much better. I would now regard this as a "finished" version; if you find any remaining errors, now matter how small, please let me know. Uploaded v7.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
I'm a late arrival, but thanks.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:19 AM   #11
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Thank you, HarryT. Your work is much appreciated.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote