Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #91
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
The monkey post was directed at me from what I see in regard to Apple Stock Pricing, nothing to do with you.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #92
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Given the conversation just before your comment, what would you think your implied?
I didn't read your posts - tl;dr. I was talking to Kenny.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #93
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Profit margin.
Apple likely makes 10x as much as Google on their minitab.
Good news if you're an Apple stockholder.
(Unless you bought at US$700.)
So you think it's a good thing Apple is ripping people off?

I just find it stupid when the Nexus is cheaper has double the ram, a lot more pixels on a smaller screen, and double the cpu of the mini.
I think I'm definitely going to get myself one although I am also looking at the surface now that's a real premium looking device but I'm not that keen on the new windows look.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #94
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm gonna call it "When the Apple Drops"

and we're not talking Times Square!
...and I so liked "Sad, Shocked and Mad"
Old 10-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #95
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I didn't say that.
I'm not an Apple stockholder, after all.
As for ripping people off: "it's only a ripoff if the mark complains."
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #96
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
...and I so liked "Sad, Shocked and Mad"

That's Peter Gabriel's fault.

Last edited by kennyc; 10-24-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #97
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
That's Peter Gabriel's fault.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #98
kennyc

Ha! The ad that popped up at the end was for a Nexus 7.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #99
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Ha! The ad that popped up at the end was for a Nexus 7.

Good, then I'm not off-topic
Old 10-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #100
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastanley View Post
I think I will pass.
Me too.

Clearly a case of selling the sizzle, not the steak.

I think I'll stick with my Nexus 7, thanks anyways.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #101
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
quick, someone give me a reality check.
After sleeping on my comments, I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts on the iPad Mini.. I kinda wish I had not returned my Tablets... I think I will re-evaluate the situation.. Yes, I'm kinda FICKLE sometimes..and crazy as well..
More Later,
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #102
bugjd
bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, paperwhite, iPhone 4s, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post

I just find it stupid when the Nexus is cheaper has double the ram, a lot more pixels on a smaller screen, and double the cpu of the mini.
I think I'm definitely going to get myself one although I am also looking at the surface now that's a real premium looking device but I'm not that keen on the new windows look.
does the Nexus have iOS? this is the thing, it's not "stupid" to prefer one ecosystem over the other. if the experience in each tablet was exactly the same, then you consider more specs at a cheaper cost. but of course the experience is not the same, and some people prefer one type of experience to the other. it's hard to consider it "ripping people off" when people are glad to pay the premium for the experience. seems like people want to believe Apple consumers are just completely oblivious of all other options and will pay whatever Apple wants for any new device regardless of what the device is or how it compares to similar products in the market. and again, maybe it's because i've used so many types of products over the years that i've never developed any kind of brand loyalty, but it's just clear to me how Apple sells a different type of experience, one that is not dependent on specs alone, and how many people might prefer to stick with that experience across multiple devices. that hardly seems "stupid" to me.
bugjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #103
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugjd View Post
it's hard to consider it "ripping people off" when people are glad to pay the premium for the experience.
Regardless of whether the consumers are happy to pay, if a device is overpriced then it can fairly be described as a rip off.

Even if a justification can be made for $329, for example, for the entry level model, is it not a rip off to charge another $100 for the privilege of having 16 GB more flash memory?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #104
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Refreshes are all part of life, technology is always changing. As soon as we purchase an item, we know it will be obsolete in less than a year. Isn't there a Nexxus refresh coming next week, some models will be obsolete? Why slam only Apple?

Not to carry on any longer, I will be ordering the Mini. Why do I like Apple products? Because they work, no hassle. Much more than I can say for the Android tablet I have. I don't want to have to tweak my tablet and hope something works. I want a clean, easy, and enjoyable experience. I want to feel the aluminum in my hands, not plastic and to feel the beauty in the design. Apple is the whole experience, not just here's a piece of hardware.

I understand the 1024x768 resolution. It reproduces the most natural reading experience and provides the best balance in portrait mode. 4:3 ratio creates a feeling more like of a tablet of paper. Apple prepared this to provide an excellent reading experience.

This iPad Mini will barely weigh more than the ereaders we are using. That is pretty amazing to me.

Do I need it? No. But now I can take the Mini places that I've been afraid to take my retina iPad.

MrDoug, if I lived close enough, I'd be proud to stand in line with you.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #105
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
So, quik ? trying not to go off subject.. what are your folks opinions of the best (optimale) tablet for reading books, magazines and newspapers.. Nexus7, Kindle Fire, Fire HD or iPad? (mini should be comparable to the iPad) only smaller..
Thanks in advance...
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote