Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-13-2015, 05:05 AM   #1
zzot
zzot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Install hacks on a jailbroken Kindle that got updated to 5.6.1.0.6?

Hi there,

I have a Kindle Paperwhite 2 that got auto-updated to the latest version of the firmware (5.6.1.0.6). The Kindle is jailbroken (I jailbroke it a long time ago when it was still possible to do it via software) and this is actually the second time an auto-update wipes all my hacks away. Last time I managed to reinstall them all via KUAL but I'm now very afraid to brick the Kindle. Do you think it's safe to reinstall them? (Mostly, I just want to remove those ugly screensavers).

Bonus question: is there a way to stop the auto-updates? I use the Wi-Fi a lot because I use the Kindle to read articles sent via Readability and sometimes I forget to turn the airplane mode back on and the damn thing auto-update itself.

Thanks thanks thanks!

(And please excuse me if I made mistakes, english is not my first language)
zzot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:42 AM   #2
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Yes, backdoor lock should stop the auto updates.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:04 AM   #3
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I've been using backdoor lock for a while now without mishap.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:47 AM   #4
Dexmaster
Connoisseur
Dexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle PW5 (11th gen, 6.8in)
If it's 5.6.x, then just use KUAL and MobileRead Package Installer to install everything you'll need installed.
Additionally install Rescue Pack and Coward's Rescue Pack (after RP). (So even if you'll have any software problems you'll recover from them easily enough)

To block all further updates just install and activate BackDoorLock. (also you can create "update.bin.tmp.partial" folder when you simply connect it to via USB, but it's only additional precaution, and probably not needed anymore if you have BackDoorLock activated)

P.S. If you have problems finding any package, it almost always can be found on Snapshots of NiLuJe's hacks or on a List of KUAL Extensions.

Last edited by Dexmaster; 03-13-2015 at 06:50 AM.
Dexmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:05 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexmaster View Post
- - - -
You can create "update.bin.tmp.partial" folder when you simply connect it to via USB, but it's only additional precaution.
- - - -
The series 5.6.x firmware can defeat that way of OTA update blocking.

The most recently released version of Backdoor Lock is the only protection that still works under 5.6.x
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.6.1.0.6, kindle, pw2