Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Justified text in e-books?
Prefer not Justified (left aligned only) 20 43.48%
Prefer Justified (full justification) 21 45.65%
Don't care 5 10.87%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Justified, but I wish devices would do a better job of (including) spacing of letters instead of having huge canyons between words.
One thing ADE needs to do better is manage the spaces between words better then it does.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #32
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Hyphenation, when done carefully, can be an effective way to make justification work more smoothly, but you do have to be wary of using the defaults....
The thing is, if you as the author/publisher adds hyphenation, it's there regardless of what font the end user picks, unless the formatting engine is a lot more sophisticated than I think. One of the books I've been reading recently (admittedly free Amazon/MobiPocket) has hyphens scattered throughout, and it really breaks up the flow of the story. Ah, well... Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

I constantly find myself wanting to edit my ebooks, just so when I read them again, they'll be perfect. Then, reality checks in and I start to wonder if I'll live long enough to read all the ones I have already. (shrugs)
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #33
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
You're right SampleAndy, it's not practical for the author/publisher to apply hyphenation in ebooks (though we can control it in our print editions). However, as/if/when ebooks become more sophisticated then hyphenation may be one of those options we (as readers) get to use and control; even just small adjustments can make a big difference to how much hyphenation breaks up the text.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote