Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
gris
Connoisseur
gris began at the beginning.

Device: m92, sonyt2,
mobipocket.com support dead?

can someone help me?

maybe this topic is already known, and I ask it again all over. Sorry for that!

My question is, i've bought a software that uses a key and an account on mobipocket.com. I bought it used! When i want to activate it, it says it has already been used, and i should contact with support, if I am the owner of the cd.

I am the owner and I want to contact the support, but the support and contact page of mobipocket says: The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred.

Does this site come back in a near future?
Do I have a chance to reactivate the key for my purpose?

sorry for possible grammar mistakes in my english!

tank you for helping!

bye bye
gris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
This may answer your question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobipocket

Amazon bought them and it's basically just a shell of what it used to be. Notice that there are no paid books on their website anymore, only a few freebies, and almost nothing in any of the categories, all saying:

Sorry, no results were found.

and

Alert me when new titles are added.
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The answer is, your software is no good since it relies on the now dead Mobipocket.com to get it working. You've paid for it and you won't be able to use it. The DRM is useless and because of this, so is the software. Might as well just toss the media in the trash for all it's worth.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The answer is, your software is no good since it relies on the now dead Mobipocket.com to get it working.
That's incorrect. Even though the website is pretty much dead, it's still possible to activate Mobipocket books with Mobipocket Reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gris View Post
My question is, i've bought a software that uses a key and an account on mobipocket.com. I bought it used!
Unlike other software products, Mobipocket books can only be registered once. I.e., it's not possible to sell used Mobipocket books or dictionaries on a CD. You should ask the seller for a refund, because s/he was most likely aware of this issue.

Last edited by Doitsu; 04-26-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
That's incorrect. Even though the website is pretty much dead, it's still possible to activate Mobipocket books with Mobipocket Reader.

Unlike other software products, Mobipocket books can only be registered once. I.e., it's not possible to sell used Mobipocket books or dictionaries on a CD. You should ask the seller for a refund, because s/he was most likely aware of this issue.
Doitsu:

Yeah, except MBP Reader isn't even available on the old site, either; you have to go hither and yon all over the internet to find it, and it's on some (to me) questionable sites where I wouldn't download it, myself. I don't know why they took Reader down and not Creator, but they did. FWIW.

And, yes, I'd be shocked if the seller didn't know of the issue. Almost anyone in the ebook world knows that the Mobipocket site has been dead or nearly dead for at least 3 years, closer to 4.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yeah, except MBP Reader isn't even available on the old site, either; you have to go hither and yon all over the internet to find it, and it's on some (to me) questionable sites where I wouldn't download it, myself.
Thanks to archive.org you can still download it. (You'll have to wait a couple of seconds for the download to start.)

Since the OP is apparently from Germany, s/he most likely bought a used "PONS Großwörterbuch für PDA, Smartphone und PC" hard cover dictionary with a free dictionary CD that included a Mobipocket Reader installer.
(PONS changed their dictionary software a couple of years ago and current editions of these dictionaries no longer include .mobi files.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I don't know why they took Reader down and not Creator, but they did.
IMHO, it doesn't make sense either.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
gris
Connoisseur
gris began at the beginning.

Device: m92, sonyt2,
yes it is that pons wörterbuch/dicitionary for pda etc..

so when the used version will not get to work again, it should be possible to buy a new one and to get it to work, right?

I have another dictionary of pons for mobipocket and it is registered on me, and this works still well as far as i tried. It is registered on me and I can still download it and use it. So the site cannot be completely down.

Last edited by gris; 04-26-2013 at 03:04 PM.
gris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Thanks to archive.org you can still download it. (You'll have to wait a couple of seconds for the download to start.)

Since the OP is apparently from Germany, s/he most likely bought a used "PONS Großwörterbuch für PDA, Smartphone und PC" hard cover dictionary with a free dictionary CD that included a Mobipocket Reader installer.
(PONS changed their dictionary software a couple of years ago and current editions of these dictionaries no longer include .mobi files.)

IMHO, it doesn't make sense either.
Ah, thanks, Doitsu!

For reminding me about archive.org. I am always over there for other things, but I never thought to look for MR there. There is a person that...inhabits, I'll say...the KDP boards who flogs a "how to make your Kindle book" Amazon book that uses MR, not MBPC, to "make" the Kindlebook, and people have asked where to find MR. I shall now know where to tell them to find it. (Not that I think it's a great book-making plan, mind you, but....)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gris View Post
so when the used version will not get to work again, it should be possible to buy a new one and to get it to work, right?
As long as you get the correct edition, yes. Note that PONS currently offers two versions of their Großwörterbuch dictionaries with dictionary CDs. One version comes with dictionary software by Paragon, which will only work on PCs and Macs and the other version comes with Mobipocket Reader. (The description of the Mobipocket edition usually mentions support for Symbian and Palm OS and the title ends in "Wörterbuch für PDA, Smartphone und PC.")
For example, the current editions of the French and English PONS Großwörterbuch dictionaries come with the Paragon software, which won't work on mobile devices, however, the Spanish dictionary CD doesn't appear to have been updated to the Paragon software.
I.e., if you're interested in French or English PONS Mobipocket dictionaries, you'll have to search for unused editions published around 2007-2010.