Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-15-2015, 07:04 AM   #1
pjfarr
pjfarr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Random spaces between letters in Calibre eBook viewer

I have a strange issue with the book viewer that comes with Calibre.

Many books I view have random spaces between letters of some words (see samples below). The books look fine when viewed on my tablet reader (Aldiko) and on my PC using Adobe Digital Editions. The Calibre reader is the only one that does this, and it's happened with every release.

If I highlight a block of effected text and then right-click "Inspect", the spaces are actually in the source code too (see sample). However, opening the book in the editor the spaces are not there in the source code nor do they appear in the preview window of the editor.

Anybody else have this prob or know what to do about it?

Thanks for any input...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	134858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	134859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	134860  

Last edited by pjfarr; 02-15-2015 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Better clarity
pjfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:24 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Attach a book that shows this issue. It is most likely soft-hyphens.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
pjfarr
pjfarr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi kovid

Thanks for your reply.

You mentioned soft hyphens and I remembered seeing a setting for hyphens under the "Miscellaneous" options. It was checked so I unchecked it and the problem was resolved (after restarting the book viewer). I can't believe it was that simple! I saw that option a long time ago but since it was random spaces not hyphens I didn't make the connection.

I see that you're the creator of Calibre so let me say #1 I really appreciate you taking the time to address my issue and #2 I love Calibre and appreciate the time and skill you put into making it the BEST of its kind. Thanks very much!
pjfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote