Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #31
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter
Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Christmas doesn't apply with ebooks. The rush comes in January, AFTER everyone receives ebook readers as Christmas gifts.
Spacejock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #32
Carriebear
Polar Bear
Carriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook Color (rooted), iPod Touch (jailbroken)
As someone who finally got access to Pottermore last week, I can say that I'm quite glad that both the open registration and access to the Pottermore store have been delayed. Number one, I don't think Ms. Rowling is the head of some sort of conspiracy to muck over Potter fans (Potterheads :P), and I've seen firsthand how the developers of the site are struggling to deal with the influx of users. They sent out 1 million welcome emails; as of right now, just over half of that are accessing the site regularly, and the site crashes practically hourly. One aspect of the site - wizarding duels - was so popular it could not handle the traffic, and it's been down since the 2nd day of access. The reason the opening of the site to all has been delayed (and following that, access will be restricted) is because the team is dedicated to providing the best experience. It isn't fair to open the store on the Pottermore site when not everyone has access to it, and when the servers can't handle the process.

I don't want a half-baked website. I want a website that works, and if I have to wait for it, and the store, well, it's worth it, to me. Better to have a site done right, that takes a while to get it right, than to have a rushed one that shows neither the site design team, Sony, or Ms. Rowling give a flip about their fans.
Carriebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #33
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I think this explains why the Black Sony reader with the HP coupon has disappeared from the websites selling it.

eBay started in 1995 and steadily grew in users and listings. I started using it in 1999. Four years later they were still having outages where snipe bidders missed out on bidding at the last second and sellers were stuck having to sell items at really low bids.

I was whining too when I found out I couldn't get the ebooks in the next few days but I too would rather have it done right than mucked up and tick off a whole bunch of fans with a half-assed effort that was crashing on the hour. I would find that far more annoying.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:16 AM   #34
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
who cares about Harry Potter! The boy nerd!
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #35
Carriebear
Polar Bear
Carriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook Color (rooted), iPod Touch (jailbroken)
Troll in the dungeon?
Carriebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 06:19 AM   #36
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Wouldn't it make sense that they'd want to sell as many physical books as they can over the holidays, and then, like Spacejock says, wait for the fresh new e-reader owners to make their e-book purchases in January?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:27 AM   #37
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I understand wanting to make Pottermore.com rock solid. But pushing the sales of the ebooks to "first half of 2012"? Really? As vague as that?
Couldn't agree more with this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Well, I've waited this long I guess a few more months won't kill me.
The first half of 2012 is between January first and June 30th. So, a few more months could be almost a year...

I'm also one of those that don't understand why the sale of the books have to be postponed for at least 4 months, simply because the website can't handle the load...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #38
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Couldn't agree more with this...

The first half of 2012 is between January first and June 30th. So, a few more months could be almost a year...

I'm also one of those that don't understand why the sale of the books have to be postponed for at least 4 months, simply because the website can't handle the load...
Perhaps they want people to come for the books, but stay for the website.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #39
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriebear View Post
Troll in the dungeon?
Clearly!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #40
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacejock View Post
Christmas doesn't apply with ebooks. The rush comes in January, AFTER everyone receives ebook readers as Christmas gifts.
Good point!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's interesting, though, that MobileRead's two busiest times ever have come on Christmas day for the last two years in succession.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #42
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I would hazard a guess that there are a few chewed nails at Sony right about now.

Whatever the product, service or enterprise, if it is publicised as coming out Sep-Oct, it is aiming for the Christmas market, and they are, to a point, banking on just that.
And if it's delayed, whatever the reasons that might be given about the release never being aimed at that market - they liespeak....

And it is not just crucial to get it out simply "before" Christmas - it needs to be in good lead-time for people to plan on it as a present or treat.

I bet midnight oil is being burnt somewhere, at a fair old rate.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #43
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Yeah, everyone I know that has got ebook readers, they did their heaviest buying, the day they got their reader, or the day after. Lately, a few friends got readers for their birthdays, and everyone else that wasn't chipping in on the reader itself, were getting giftcards for books. That way right away, the person had the reader, and the ability to get books to use on the reader. Even if they didn't get giftcards, they wanted something right away to use with their newreader. After they've had it a few weeks, they've already got plenty of books to read on it, plus some of the novelty has worn off.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #44
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I also don't understand why the *website* and the *ebooks* need to be so intertwined. Release the ebooks to all the usual retail distributors -- Apple, Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Fictionwise, everybody else -- then take the time to do whatever it is this "interactive" website needs to accomplish, for those who care.

I'm sure there are many who would be happy just to buy the books and don't feel the need for a special website just to accomplish that. Harry Potter is not that bloody special. Geez, what's next, registration on a special website required to buy the next Harry Dresden, or Sookie Stackhouse, or whatever? Enough already. Just sell the books.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #45
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Part of it is control. By only selling through pottermore, they get 100% control, and don't have to share the cut with any extra parties.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote