Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Tigro
Tigro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Frozen page numbers

Be greeted, friends.

I have Kindle 4 (non-touch) with the latest firmware update and have lately come across a problem. I converted an .rtf file to .mobi using Calibre and though the file itself works properly, it gives wrong page numbers - page 1 lasts for 5 actual page turns, page 2 for some other amount and so forth. I tried converting a .pdf with the same content but it changed nothing. I also tried another .rtf with the same content, which produced a slightly different effect - there were no page numbers at all until I moved the .apnx file from the ~filename.sdr folder to the main folder of the specific book. After that - exact same problem. Tried creating .apnx'es with the APNX plugin but the same thing happens. How can I fix this?
Tigro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
Tigro

Tried just now and Amazon-bought books suffer from the same thing. I tried plenty of free Kindle books and every single ones has the problem even though it didn't use to. I tried restarting but no success...
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
The number of pages as dictated by the APNX file are not the same thing as the number of screens. In other words, turning the page on your Kindle does not equate with turning the page in a paper book. The page number transitions are linked to specific places in the book, so how many screen changes equal a page turn depends on font size and other factors.

Amazon originally introduced the page number feature because many people wanted a metric that was equivalent to what they were used to - paper books. The books from Amazon that have this use the print version of the book to determine where the page transitions go. Depending on the print version used, the amount of text per page can vary significantly from the amount of text displayed on your Kindle's screen.

When you use calibre, the APNX created is an approximation of this same function, with the difference being that it is not tied to an actual print version like Amazon's are. It's sort of a compromise for those who want page numbers.

I hope this made sense. I'm on my second cup of coffee.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
Tigro

Thank you very much. The confusion came from my belief that Kindle somehow "rescans" the book every time we change font size which causes a book of actual lenght, say, 250 pages become 125 pages when I select a tiny font or a 1000 one if I select a big one instead of just referring with the page numbers to the "real" book That's how iPad works with the books (iBooks app, specifically) and as I'd been using it as my reading device before getting a Kindle, I considered it a "proper" way to do things. Seeing my Kindle doesn't do such thing led me to the conclusion that something had to be broken.