Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Backlight alternatives

I vaguely remember having a light that clipped onto the headboard of my bed when I was a kid. It plugged into the wall socket so no battery issues. And it would seem to be both convenient and a sufficient light source. The looks... well, that might be a problem. Don't know if that would bother a spouse or not either.

What do you guys think? Is that a reasonable alternative, and are there any that don't look really out of place on a headboard?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
I'm looking for something that won't bother my wife so a headboard clipon is out.

I have in order in for the $9.99 Flex-Neck Reading Light that was posted about (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7745). I'll let people know what I think when my reader and light arrive.

http://www.biggerandbrighter.com/mm5...ry_Code=clipon

Last edited by Greg G; 09-30-2006 at 12:43 PM.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Whatever you choose, LED lights should be a prerequisite to make sure you don't accidentally burn yourself or your Reader.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:07 AM   #4
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
For the trekkies under us:

The "Borg" earlight

Find it here

It uses two CR2016 button cells and lasts 18 hours. Price $12,00

Here is another one:

Find it here

This one uses one AAA battery so that's a big advantage over the Ear Light that uses two button cells. It lasts 25 hours. Price $24,95.

You can find the "same" light under a different name at Curcuit City but instead of $24,95 they charge you $2,99. It looks the same but it could be that it's a cheaper imitation.

This one looks good also:

Find it here

It also has button cells but this one uses CR2032 and I can get them for free on my work. It lasts 36 hours. Price $12,95.

It's clear you can get a lot of these ear lights on the internet and I think it could be better instead of trying to clip something to your Reader. I will go for this type of light. I only need to decide which one. I'm also planning into modifying it so it is possible to dim the light.

Last edited by diabloNL; 10-01-2006 at 09:43 AM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

I ordered the I-Sight from Radtech. And if it doesn't work with reading I have many other uses for it.
Advert
Old 10-01-2006, 01:11 PM   #6
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
For the trekkies under us:

The "Borg" earlight
Ahh, but is it possible to get them in red? ;-)
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm planning to have ago at making my own LightWedge type light. I'll let y'all know how it comes out -- I'm not sure when I'll get around to it, though....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:38 PM   #8
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle
Ahh, but is it possible to get them in red? ;-)
No, but you can get the I-Sight in green.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I'm planning to have ago at making my own LightWedge type light. I'll let y'all know how it comes out -- I'm not sure when I'll get around to it, though....
I also thought about the LightWedge but I will wait and see if they will develop one for the Reader.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Honestly, they might get one done before I manage to cobble a homemade obscenity together.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:09 PM   #11
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
Did anybody think about using lightwedge (http://www.lightwedge.com/)? I don't have sony reader yet; so I don't know how it will fit with the reader. Anyone have any idea?
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #12
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
I also notice the lightwedge which can distribute the light onto the page but it is no appropriate size for Sony Reader or iLiad now.
I DIYed 'The "Borg" earlight' diabloNL post with a ligher LED.
It needs 2 CR2016 3V battery.
I perfer the type with one AAA battery like my Jabra BT110 bluetooth headset.

I also DIYed a lightwedge-like frontlight module for my EBK reader.
However, it was not good near the LED.

I hope the new EBK with white display would be good for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11_347.jpg
Views:	959
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1728   Click image for larger version

Name:	headset light.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1851  

Last edited by segatang; 10-17-2006 at 06:06 AM.
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #13
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
Thanks for the link to the I-Sight -- I ordered one as well. Reading in the dark, here I come
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:31 PM   #14
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Another Light
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beambag.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	1738  
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #15
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I like that bean bag light, Slava. It certainly wouldn't have to be moved for page turns with the Sony Reader page turns. And I guess it would work with std rehargeable batteries just fine. Kind of pricey, but a nice alternative!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote