Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Page forward button cracking

I'm thinking about upgrading to a nook from a Sony 505, but am afraid to do so because of the button cracking that seems to be occurring on nooks. I tested a nook today at B&N today and their demo unit had a crack in the plastic by the forward button. There are a couple of threads on their board about this. Any nook users here having this problem?
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Not yet. Though I see no real reason to upgrade to a nook if your happy with your 505. Unless you need to download books via the nook or are unhappy with the way that the 505 displays ePub files. In my opinion the nook does a really good job displaying ePub files from Sony.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
JoelMBenge
JoelMBenge began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
I think the button cracking is happening in very few units. though you always should keep in mind when there are complaints online, it's disproportionale from the number of those that are working. Only because people with problems complain and those with working products are usually too busy using them to post online.

I rarely jude a product by demo units as well because you know people are rough with them, pushing them as far as they can go. They're probably mishandled by people who don't know that you need to be firm, but not rough.

Though, if you're happy, I would suggest sticking with the SONY until the nook has more time in the market place and we see what other issues crop up and how they're fixed.

As for me, I didn't have an eReader to begin with and have started taking the train into Washington D.C. and needed something, so I took the plunge.
JoelMBenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
I haven't noticed any cracking in the plastic shell covering the button. But I have noticed that when I press the button head it seems to feel funny or weak. I now press the button with a more side ways motion pushing on the edge.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
jeankap
EReading Gadget Maven
jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: All of 'em.
No problems here... Demo models always get the worst beatings, so I don't think those are a good reference model for the likelihood this happening.

Also, I have to admit I'm really becoming bored by all the people who are actively looking for stuff to hate on about the nook. It's like a new social thing. You're cool if you can join the product bashing.

I have a Sony 700 and 300, too, and have already had to put the casing back to rights on the 700, but I'm not inclined to blog to the world about how iffy the 700 is as a product because of that...

Play with the units you can get your hands on, and get the one that does it for you. I love my Sony 300, and it was well worth the $. My main criteria for the 300 was size and weight. My main criteria for the nook was completely different (namely, a rather large eReader library that I can't read on the Sony).
jeankap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
I upgraded to a nook from a PRS-505, and have been very happy so far. I was in the middle of reading an ePub on my Sony when I got my nook, and finished it on my nook, and was very pleased with the reading experience. So far, no button cracking or other physical issues with my nook, and I've had good success with the 1.1.1 software. Battery life is definitely worse, but I figure that is a fair trade for not having to use the Sony Reader Library software anymore. Plus, ebook price and selection is significantly better through B&N.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahintz View Post
I upgraded to a nook from a PRS-505, and have been very happy so far. I was in the middle of reading an ePub on my Sony when I got my nook, and finished it on my nook, and was very pleased with the reading experience. So far, no button cracking or other physical issues with my nook, and I've had good success with the 1.1.1 software. Battery life is definitely worse, but I figure that is a fair trade for not having to use the Sony Reader Library software anymore. Plus, ebook price and selection is significantly better through B&N.
To be honest, I don't think of that as an upgrade. More like a sidegrade.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

I canceled my order for my Nook last night. I'm sticking with my tried and true 505.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
dieterpops
Addict

I caved and purchased a Nook after selling my PRS-505. The one thing I have to say is that the screen is brighter on the Nook. This combined with the ability to change fonts on the fly is very nice. Still getting used to the touchscreen, which I've been using to turn pages.

I was able to load all of my purchased Sony content onto the Nook and have had no problems checking out library books. So far so good. Zero software problems at all.

Also, for those that like covers, there are a large selection from B&N. They've tapped into the ability for people to customize their readers through a large choice of covers.

Things I don't like: battery life is a bit worse, very tolerable, but not as good as the 2+ weeks I used to get with my 505. It's heavier.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I just got mine yesterday and after playing with it for a whole...day...I have to agree on it being brighter and heavier. Getting the sony epubs onto my nook was a little frustrating, mainly because ADE and OSX don't play nice just yet. I had to boot into parallells and load the nook onto the virtual machine to transfer, once I figured this out though everything was a breeze.

I do have to say I like the way ePubs are rendered on the nook a lot better as well. I hate that little number that follows me down the page on my sony. =)
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
Nonforma
Nonforma began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Just picked up mine in-store yesterday as well. The normal B&N I go to didn't have any in stock even though the online tool said they did, the next closest store had it but I think I was the first to buy one.

I noticed on the demo units in both stores the cracks. I'm taking care not to press too hard but hopefully this doesn't become an issue.
Nonforma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:12 AM   #12
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonforma View Post
I noticed on the demo units in both stores the cracks. I'm taking care not to press too hard but hopefully this doesn't become an issue.
I think it's important to press on the button, not below or above. Some people say, the buttons are hard to press, but this is only true if you press below or above the buttons...

But anyway, take a look at newly released demonstration cell phone in any consumer electronics retailer. They all show damages which are barely comprehensible...

Bye,

Dominik
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
minase
minase began at the beginning.

I received my nook on Xmas and used it extensively. I have the button crack on my right next page button, but if anything it makes it easier to use.
minase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #14
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonforma View Post
Just picked up mine in-store yesterday as well. The normal B&N I go to didn't have any in stock even though the online tool said they did, the next closest store had it but I think I was the first to buy one.

The store I purchased my Nook from also had cracks around the buttons (of the demos). But, as someone stated above all demos take a good beating. what I like about the Nook is the option to use the button or use the touchscreen. I usually use the touchscreen just to remove the wear from the buttons.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #15
dieterpops
Addict

Returning the nook. Screen is great. Battery life is not good compared to Sony.Touch screen controls are not at intuitive or effective as others. Have had some software issues too. Going to paper until someone comes out with a touch version with the sensors on teh back of the ink screen. I undertand E-Ink is working on this.