Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Newbie question about the Kindle bookstore

I am looking at buying a DX soon but as I dont have a Kindle I am not able to log into the "manage your Kindle" section so have some "newbie" questions.

Are you able to put books on a wish list that you can buy later as I cant see a link on the page where the books are? Sony has this feature ( which I love) and just wanted to know if Kindle has the same. I wont be using the Whispernet as I am O/S ( but have US card and address) and didn't know if a wish list is available or only via the Kindle unit (if that makes sense). My other question is that i read somewhere about no folders which may be address soon. How do you file your books away (with out using a 3rd party application) and how do you know which ones you have read or not read?

Thanks

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinter View Post
Are you able to put books on a wish list that you can buy later as I cant see a link on the page where the books are?
Nope, but you can get a sample, and when you are ready to buy it you just click on the book and purchase it.

Quote:
My other question is that i read somewhere about no folders which may be address soon. How do you file your books away (with out using a 3rd party application) and how do you know which ones you have read or not read?
Personally, I just delete the ones that I have read after I am done reading it. That work's perfectly fine for me. Or, you can just sort "by date" and the ones you have opened most recently will be on the top. Or, you can look at the progression bar (line of dots) to see how much you have read.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
kg4ojj
kg4ojj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
You could always download & install "Kindle for PC" and give your shopping experience a try. I just purchased the Kindle DX but had access to the Kindle for PC version a few weeks prior. I found several free e-books and "browsed" the Kindle Store for others. I never did submit any to a Wish List, but (like with other items in Amazon) I bet you could.

You're correct. NO folders, today. In the US, I've "archived" books that I have bought and read (already). They stay in your Amazon account, but show up on my Kindle DX as items in an archived "folder."

I'm having a difficult time with organization, as many of my "books" are actually technical papers (~150 of them) in PDF. Folders would be great.

BTW, a few years ago I got the opportunity to come 'down under' and visited Julian Rocks at Bryon Bay with some SCUBA friends. Not exactly southern NSW, but I did visit the state....

Jay
kg4ojj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks. Tried that. Penalised once again for having a Mac

not able to download to the PC. But you have helped answer my questions so that is good and thanks for that. Hope you enjoyed your trip down here.

Natalie
Old 11-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
You can, indeed, put Kindle books on a wish list although it's a bit of a trick. When you find a book that you like, click on the rating/review stars. On that page you will find a button for adding the book to your wish list.

Many of us use Calibre for keeping track of our books. This gives us a central "library" to capture ebooks as we find them, whether from a bookstore, a special offering directly from the author, the library or from here at Mobileread. Calibre also allows conversion of ebooks from one format to .mobi which works on the Kindle, and Calibre allows you to tag and sort your ebooks however you wish. I only keep a couple of hundred ebooks on my Kindle at any given time and delete them from my Kindle when I have read them. Calibre is my central repository for my total ebook collection.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
nwinter
Zealot

I tried Calibre ages ago but could not work it out ( I am but a simple person) . So is it possible to read Kindle books on my Sony and Sony books on the Kindle if I convert them to .mobi?

If so I may have to sit and revisit how to get it to work.

Natalie
Old 11-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Amazon's Universal Wishlist Button will add Kindle books to your wishlist (as well as anything from any store on the net) with the click of a button on your browser.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
So is it possible to read Kindle books on my Sony and Sony books on the Kindle if I convert them to .mobi?
Sony LRX ebooks can't be converted, but Sony is about to switch to ePub. We assume the DRM on Sony ePub will be circumventable (like other Adobe ePubs), and if so Calibre can convert DRM-free ePubs to MOBI for the Kindle.

Similarly, if you own a Kindle 1/2/DX then the DRM on AZW ebooks can be circumvented and the resulting DRM-free MOBI (AZW is essentially the same as MOBI) can be converted by Calibre to ePub for your Sony. Note that some Kindle ebooks are in the TOPAZ format, that is locked to the Kindles. These tend to be ebooks that are exclusive to the Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote