Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bleach View Post
Finish my next short story, it's still in the draft ages and hasn't been fully written yet. Hopefully, I'll have a creative surge and finish the draft soon. That's my first goal, once it's finished and published I can take it from there.
Good Luck Alex!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #47
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I've got a couple of old bats you can borrow if needed, I'll want them back though.
I've got an old bat of my own, thanks, though she wouldn't thank me for calling her that .
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #48
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm in two minds, when I get back to it, whether or not to read everything I have written so far before I continue (I've been away from it for 6 months or so). I'm afraid if I don't, I will drop thread strands and not resolve them, but I'm also afraid if I do then I'll end up spending all my time editing what I've already written rather than writing new stuff.

Would be interested in the views of anyone who has experienced something similar?
I would go back and do an first rough edit pass - but that is just me. By the time you done that you will be "back" in the story and know what you need to know.

Works for me at least...
Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #49
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've got an old bat of my own, thanks, though she wouldn't thank me for calling her that .
Ah well, maybe should the need arise I'll borrow your bat.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #50
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I would go back and do an first rough edit pass - but that is just me. By the time you done that you will be "back" in the story and know what you need to know.

Works for me at least...
I think that if I reread what I've done so far, I won't be able to avoid the temptation to edit, so that will probably happen anyway. Though I want to avoid using it as another reason to procrastinate .
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #51
kennyc

Quote:
I think that if I reread what I've done so far, I won't be able to avoid the temptation to edit, so that will probably happen anyway. Though I want to avoid using it as another reason to procrastinate .
Use the bat to avoid the temptation!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #52
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Use the bat to avoid the temptation!
I think I've come up with a way of avoiding editing - I have converted it to ePub and copied it over to my Kindle. That way, by not reading it via my editing software (Scrivener), there is less temptation to fiddle. Though I'll probably make notations if I spot anything that does need changing...
Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #53
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Editing is not procrastination - it is changing your work flow order. You will have to edit no matter what. I still say, re-read and edit. That is what I do.

But what ever works best for you is what works best for you.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #54
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Sounds like the sort of thing a lot of people, including both myself and my wife, would want to read.

Go for it.

Graham
Thanks for the support. It was easy to write the goal but now I've started and it is like wrestling an oily octopus.

I was going to just transcribe but I started by correcting a few things now it has become an entire rewrite already.

This is going to be more arduous than the actual trip.

If only the dogs would be quiet. Oh well, I started at least.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #55
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post

This is going to be more arduous than the actual trip.

Yep!

Damn Dogs!

You can do it though, one step at a time...
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #56
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I followed those links Kenny and found a book I would like to read. Thing is with my limited time I am afraid that I will use the reading as an excuse to not start the writing.

I am one of the trustees of a retreat centre just outside Johannesburg. They offer weekend retreats focussed on writing every now and again. I think I must attend one in the near future
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #57
kennyc

Yes, that's a trap I've found myself in many time, particularly those really good instructional books that dissect other stories or articles. In fact I continue to battle that....maybe we all do.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #58
kennyc

Woo-Hoo! Just completed a full 1000 words this morning. I've been close most days but this is the first 2013 day I fully and completely hit the target.

Now if I can continue to do that EVERY day!

Last edited by kennyc; 01-09-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #59
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen

Well done. This is very tough stuff.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #60
kennyc

Thanks Martin I've been hitting 200-800 most days and very sporadic so this felt much better.
Closed Thread