Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #1
tanteoma
Enthusiast
tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Can I "Visit" Calibre On One Computer From Calibre On Another Computer?

I have one main computer sitting in my study that's on 24x7 and many laptops scattered around the house on the same wifi network. There are 30000ish books on the main computer, I would like to read a tiny fraction of them on the laptops without having to taking up too much of their puny little computing power and without losing my way in a giant database. So the calibre on the laptops usually only holds 20-30 books I'm interested in reading. Plus, I just recently discovered the little beauty, calibre's own ebook viewer, and started to really like reading on it after tweaking the stylesheet a bit.

In order to get books from the main computer when I'm working on laptops, I either visit the calibre content server via a browser on the laptop or I remote control the main computer and use the "save to disk" function from there.

But I'm wondering, question 1, is there a way to do it from inside Calibre? Like with Stanza? That way, I don't need to re-import books into the Calibre on my laptops.

Question 2, is there a way to synchronize the bookmarks or where I am in a book so I can move from laptop to laptop while reading the same book?

Both are long shots, I know. I'm pretty happy with the calibre functions I discovered already and it's not really any hardship to re-import a few books or to remember the page/percentage number.

Last edited by tanteoma; 06-06-2012 at 03:12 AM.
tanteoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
whichgrep
whichgrep began at the beginning.

Device: none
I haven't tried it, but I do remember skipping over this :

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/server.html

Looks like you'll need a tame nerd to set it up, though

Or you could share the directory or disk from your main computer onto your home network, and have calibre on the laptops map that drive to a folder...
whichgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
tanteoma
Enthusiast
tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

You're right, I'll have to capture a nerd to understand what's written on that link. I wonder where their natural habitat is around here and whether they respond to carrots.

Mmmh, my directories are all already shared but I never thought about accessing the calibre libraries on the main computer that way. I wonder whether it'll be very, very slow, but that's definitely worth a try! Thank you!
Old 06-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanteoma View Post
You're right, I'll have to capture a nerd to understand what's written on that link. I wonder where their natural habitat is around here and whether they respond to carrots.

Mmmh, my directories are all already shared but I never thought about accessing the calibre libraries on the main computer that way. I wonder whether it'll be very, very slow, but that's definitely worth a try! Thank you!
Don't bother. It's just a way to integrate the Calibre content server into an existing web server. As you're already using the CS directly, it doesn't give you anything you don't already have.

Sharing your main Calibre library directory over the net and pointing your local Calibre at that directory will work, but you'll have to make sure that there is no other copy of Calibre active when you do, or Bad Things will happen.

A client-server Calibre setup (which is what you want) is on the roadmap for after the Great Database Backend Rewrite, Kovid said when someone else asked for this functionality recently.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
tanteoma
Enthusiast

Thank you for the info. I feel really bad to demand more features of poor little Calibre when it already does so much more than I thought I wanted.
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #6
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Sharing your main Calibre library directory over the net and pointing your local Calibre at that directory will work, but you'll have to make sure that there is no other copy of Calibre active when you do, or Bad Things will happen.
Just a small caveat, it's okay to run the calibre server (from the command line app) simultaneously with actual calibre, so for example you can keep a server up 24/7 for mobile clients using OPDS or for remote access via the web while still running one instance of calibre on a PC.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote