Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #16
ChefDude
PRS505 owner
ChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to behold

Device: Sony PRS-350, 505
An update for you all.

I bought a PRS 350, after spending 30 minutes playing with it in store. I wanted to ensure it was an 'upgrade' from my 505.

It's brilliant. It's a great deal faster (this is mostly a user experience thing rather than benchmarks) indexing and page turning. the screen is lovely.

and the page turning? just the merest swipe is needed, so I am very happy.

ps, and thanks for not thinking i am loopy!

Last edited by ChefDude; 04-19-2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typo
ChefDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #17
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Congratulations!
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #18
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Great choice! You'll love it to bits. We all do
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #19
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Chef --

I bought my 650 as soon as it came out last autumn. I had purchased my first e-reader, a 505, only a few months earlier. The first one was perfectly good, but I was frustrated by the library book conflict issue; I gave it as an early Xmas gift to a friend who reads lots of public domain classics, and so is happy to have dozens of them in a device the size of one trade paperback.

I use the audio and storage card features (those audio files can be large!), but could easily do without them -- given its price, the 350 makes an outstanding gift idea!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #20
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
given its price, the 350 makes an outstanding gift idea!

I plan on stocking up on it when they ever get cheap or thrown out for a new release. As I am now not able to imagine what could be made better that will make me upgrade to the new generation and never look back, I am sure I want to have a spare one just in case and one as a gift.
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #21
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
I plan on stocking up on it when they ever get cheap or thrown out for a new release. As I am now not able to imagine what could be made better that will make me upgrade to the new generation and never look back, I am sure I want to have a spare one just in case and one as a gift.
I did buy an extra last month just to have a spare (didn't do that with my other readers). I too wonder how they would improve on the 350. I'm sure they will come up with something.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #22
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
As I am now not able to imagine what could be made better that will make me upgrade...
I remember saying that about my older PRS-505. It is still a great device but my 650 has it beat.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #23
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
I did buy an extra last month just to have a spare (didn't do that with my other readers). I too wonder how they would improve on the 350. I'm sure they will come up with something.
Now here is a clever girl! Wish they weren't so expensive here (179€)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
I remember saying that about my older PRS-505. It is still a great device but my 650 has it beat.
So, what is your best guess? Wifi is the obvious one. I vote for a bendable screen, something like laminated plastic. Have you watched the e-ink video? They do weird things to the screen and it holds up...

http://www.eink.com/rugged.html
Old 04-20-2011, 04:03 AM   #24
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
You can also swipe up or down to turn the page. Depending on how I'm holding the reader, that's sometimes an easier motion than side to side.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:39 AM   #25
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
So, what is your best guess? Wifi is the obvious one. I vote for a bendable screen, something like laminated plastic. Have you watched the e-ink video? They do weird things to the screen and it holds up...
I'm voting for:

1) A5 dual-screen, (2-page spread; 2 books open; book + reference notes; single A4 PDF page spread across both screens; etc)

2) Solar powered battery charging = no more running out of juice.

3) WiFi

4) Full-colour

5) and all for less than the current PRS-350 (OK, maybe this one's pushing it!)
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:11 AM   #26
ChefDude
PRS505 owner
ChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to behold

Device: Sony PRS-350, 505
It was never one of my initial requirements, but the 350 fits in my suit jacket pocket. a massive boon for when i travel for work.

i'm sure a4/a5 readers have their place, but the 350 is the absolute definition of convenient ebook reading.

ChefDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:57 AM   #27
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I never use the swipe thing to turn pages on my 650. I don't want to see finger stains on the screen and I'm sensitive to that. So I only use the button.
And of course I use the pen when needed. But never my fingers :-)
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:19 AM   #28
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I use the buttons and swipe probably around 50/50. I don't use my fingers much to point on the screen or swipe. I keep q-tips scattered around to use for that. Just a very gently touch (not even actually touch the screen sometimes, the sensors pick up anyway) and the page is turned.

(I bought a pack of nice purple q-tips for pennies to match the reader. One have to think of ones appearence, right?! Actually, the 350 is so much hotter than I am, so if it was human it probably wouldn't be seen in public with me. )
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote