Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 06:22 AM   #1
jaunty
jaunty began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
International Web Browsing

Hi. Not yet discovered how to search all threads, so starting a new one to ask an urgent question. Sorry if that is wrong....

I have a Kindle 3 WiFi, and am delighted with it. The "Experimental" browser seems adequate in the UK (on WiFi, of course) although not impressive.

I am thinking of buying a second-hand 3G one, either a Kindle 2 International or a DX International. Can anyone tell me how these will browse in the UK, and also abroad particularly in France. I think I read somewhere that the DX will only browse to Wikipedia in the UK; can that be right? I understand that Amazon are "paying" for the 3G connection time/volume and therefore may have limited the access, but I cannot find on Amazon what those limits are, if any. But then they wouldn't want to tell you that before you buy one, would they?

Anyone any relevant browsing experience, please?
jaunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you buy a Kindle in the UK, you will get full web browsing throughout Western Europe. I've used mine in France, Belgium, and the Netherlands.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 01:34 AM   #3
vili
vili began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I have Kindle 2 International (from the US store), and since the update late last spring which removed all restrictions, browsing the internet has worked pretty much everywhere I have been to: Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, Finland, Poland, UK, Ireland... is what I can remember using it in. I assume that it now works almost everywhere.

As far as I understand, the browsing experience in Kindle 3 is improved, so if you get a Kindle 2, you can expect something that is worse than what you are accustomed to with Kindle 3. It is not a brilliant or particularly speedy way of browsing the web, but it works for basic emails and information gathering while on the move.
vili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:45 AM   #4
Jacina
Jacina began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I think the ability to browse is heavily dependent on the country you register your Amazon account to.
Jacina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:53 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacina View Post
I think the ability to browse is heavily dependent on the country you register your Amazon account to.
Yes, it is. I was answering the question as asked, which was about a Kindle registered in the UK.
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 05:04 AM   #6
vili

Mine, I think, is registered to Hungary.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
jonahemery
jonahemery began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
For the first time today I tried using the browser over 3G. It totally locked up and had to do a hard restart. I'm running the 3.03 pre-release.

Even after I rebooted it displayed the top web browser bar over everything, even an e-Book. It went away shortly after. Weird huh?

With Amazon now selling millions of these things I hope we can expect special Kindle versions of websites.
jonahemery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:42 AM   #8
vili

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahemery View Post
For the first time today I tried using the browser over 3G. It totally locked up and had to do a hard restart. I'm running the 3.03 pre-release.

Even after I rebooted it displayed the top web browser bar over everything, even an e-Book. It went away shortly after. Weird huh?

With Amazon now selling millions of these things I hope we can expect special Kindle versions of websites.
This sometimes happens to me as well, on Kindle 2.

Google Reader optimised for Kindle would be great.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
My Kindle 2 International is bought in UK, deregistered and registered again in Bulgaria. No problems browsing in Bulgaria, UK and South Africa. I am very pleased.

Quote:
Access Type [ ? ]
(Browser, mobile, POP3, etc.) Location (IP address) [ ? ] Date/Time
(Displayed in your time zone)
Unknown United States (whispernet.com:8.18.145.243) Oct 24 (5 days ago)
As you can see - no problems reading my GMail. I am not in the USA - this is because of the Amazon's proxies.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
avidworm
Enthusiast
avidworm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
French Amazon account registration 3G workaround?

Seems if you have a French Amazon account registration Kindle 3 won't allow you to use 3G to browse.

I bought my Kindle3 from America as a present for my wife who has a French Amazon account. Is it possible to workaround this (apart from registering account in UK or USA?)

thanks
avidworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:41 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidworm View Post
Seems if you have a French Amazon account registration Kindle 3 won't allow you to use 3G to browse.

I bought my Kindle3 from America as a present for my wife who has a French Amazon account. Is it possible to workaround this (apart from registering account in UK or USA?)

thanks
Unfortunately not. Internet availability depends solely upon your Kindle's "home" location - ie, where it's registered to.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:49 AM   #12
jaunty
jaunty began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Harry, is that "where it's registered to" as in, if you de-register and register it to an Amazon account in another country it changes access condition? Or "where it's registered to" as in once Amazon have sent it to a purchaser in one country it is fixed forever to that country's access rules, please?
jaunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:57 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunty View Post
Harry, is that "where it's registered to" as in, if you de-register and register it to an Amazon account in another country it changes access condition? Or "where it's registered to" as in once Amazon have sent it to a purchaser in one country it is fixed forever to that country's access rules, please?
If you deregister and then re-register in another country, it can change access, yes. If, however, you claim to be somewhere that you're not, Amazon will soon cotton on and ask you to provide proof that you are where you say you are.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #14
tsarnik
tsarnik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G+wifi
I have successfully used my UK kindle 3g in Egypt (Cairo and Alexandria), Abu Dhabi, Thailand (Phuket and Bangkok) for internet browsing. OK so it's a bit slow and basic but ideal for checking news, emails etc whilst on the go.
tsarnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #15
avidworm
Enthusiast
avidworm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately not. Internet availability depends solely upon your Kindle's "home" location - ie, where it's registered to.
actually seems all i needed to do was set home location in "manage kindle" settings on your amazon account? not tried it with my wife's french account but seem possible in theory no?
avidworm is offline   Reply With Quote