Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
cates
cates began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Adding Table of Contents to ePub problems...

Let me preface by saying that I have Googled this, read forums, and have read the manual/user guide.

Apparently I'm an idiot.

My problem is this-
I cannot get a Table of Contents to work in a particular ePub I have. I downloaded it with a ToC but every link in the table links to page 2 (which is just the title page).

Anyone needing the file directly to help me can find it here.

Below is a sample of the code in the ToC from the htm file within the ePub.

Code:
class="calibre9">CONTENTS</blockquote>

<a href="20thCenturyGhosts_split_000.htm#intro">Introduction by Christopher Golden</a>

<p class="calibre2"><a href="20thCenturyGhosts_split_000.htm#best">Best New Horror</a>

</p><p class="calibre2"><a href="20thCenturyGhosts_split_000.htm#20th">20th Century Ghost</a>

</p><p class="calibre2"><a href="20thCenturyGhosts_split_000.htm#pop">Pop Art</a>

(etc...)

</p><p class="calibre2"/><div class="calibre3" style="text-align:center"><b class="calibre10">* * *<a name="#intro" id="#intro"></a>

</b><p class="calibre2"><big class="calibre11">Introduction</big></p></div>

<p class="calibre2">Modern horror is not often subtle. Most of those who practice the art of the unsettling far too often go for the jugular, forgetting that the best predators are stealthy. Nothing wrong with going for the jugular, of course, but writers of genuine skill and talent have more than one trick in their bags.
cates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Your problem is that you ar directing everything to the front page:
[CODE]</p><p class="calibre2"><a href="20thCenturyGhosts_split_000.htm#20th">20th Century Ghost</a>
[/CODE that only contains 1 line

Example: the intro is on ...split_001
You will Hear... on...split002
You need to edit that part only, to indicate which file to use
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
cates
cates began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Your problem is that you ar directing everything to the front page:
[CODE]</p><p class="calibre2"><a href="20thCenturyGhosts_split_000.htm#20th">20th Century Ghost</a>
[/CODE that only contains 1 line

Example: the intro is on ...split_001
You will Hear... on...split002
You need to edit that part only, to indicate which file to use
I did as you said and changed the links to the appropriate pages in which they were located but nothing changed. So I went into the folder (after changing it to a zip file and then extracting it) and opened "toc.ncx" in notepad. I changed the same thing as above in this file and then re-added it, re-zipped it, and threw it in Calibre and converted it to ePub. This yielded partial success... Now when I open the ePub file to view and select a chapter in the table of contents instead of being brought to page 2 I am brought to the very beginning of whichever file the chapter is on.

For example, clicking the first story brings me to "Table of Contents..." clicking the third story brings me to "Table of Contents..." but clicking the fourth story (You Will Hear...) brings me to "You Will Hear..." but only because it is the first story on the second file. Clicking the fifth story brings me (or leaves me) at "You Will Hear" (the top of the page it is on).

Thanks for the help and if you have any idea how to address this I'd appreciate it. But I'm still glad of the progress so far.
cates is offline   Reply With Quote