Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-14-2014, 04:02 AM   #991
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
I have updated the first post and the AppleScript.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #992
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Out of curiosity, is the media-type "text/x-oeb1-document" found in a resource record within the MOBI when generating the content.opf file for a MOBI-only (non-KF8) kindlebook, or is it hardcoded in the KindleUnpack code? If the latter, is there a compelling reason for keeping it that way and not updating to an "application/xhtml+xml" media-type? I realize the markup file being produced isn't really xhtml, but "text/x-oeb1-document" is deprecated in the latest 2.x OPF package we appear to be building. Is kindlegen even still accepting these unpacked old-style mobi-markup files as input anymore?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #993
KevinH
Guru
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi Doug,

In the mobi_opf.py in the part that builds the manifest for the opf, there is this media-map that determines things. The KF8 part unpacks to .xhtml file extensions while the older mobi part unpacks to .html so so gets that strange media-type.

Code:
media_map = {
                '.jpg'  : 'image/jpeg',
                '.jpeg' : 'image/jpeg',
                '.png'  : 'image/png',
                '.gif'  : 'image/gif',
                '.svg'  : 'image/svg+xml',
                '.xhtml': 'application/xhtml+xml',
                '.html' : 'text/x-oeb1-document', # for mobi7
                '.pdf'  : 'application/pdf', # for azw4(print replica textbook)
                '.ttf'  : 'application/x-font-ttf',
                '.otf'  : 'application/x-font-opentype', # replaced?
                #'.otf' : 'application/vnd.ms-opentype', # [OpenType] OpenType fonts
                #'.woff' : 'application/font-woff', # [WOFF] WOFF fonts
                #'.smil' : 'application/smil+xml', # [MediaOverlays301] EPUB Media Overlay documents
                #'.pls' : 'application/pls+xml', # [PLS] Text-to-Speech (TTS) Pronunciation lexicons
                '.otf'  : 'application/x-font-opentype', # replaced?
                #'.mp3'  : 'audio/mpeg',
                #'.mp4'  : 'audio/mp4',
                #'.js'   : 'text/javascript', # not supported in K8
                '.css'  : 'text/css'
                }

So it would be easy to change in KindleUnpack. That said, I passed a content.opf from an old mobi through kindlegen 2.9 and it generated a lot of warnings and built a KF8 part that would never pass any epub check.

So it looks like even Kindlegen is requiring a valid epub as input otherwise it generates junk for the KF8 part. I thought that unpacking an old mobi and then passing it back through kindlegen might be as easy way to convert from html 3 to true xhtml. No such luck.

I frankly think we should use the old mobiml2xhtml.py codebase (actually its newer cousin from your KindleImport) and try and create at least a basic, valid epub-like structure from the old mobi part. Kindlegen seems to be much more adept at taking valid epub xhtml and making old html 3 than doing the reverse.

If others agree, I would be happy to incorporate it into the next KindleUnpack release.

Take care,

Kevin
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #994
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd be OK with that. I do think we need to retain the ability to produce/examine the mobiml file, though: if only for testing and for seeing what mobiml code is actually being produced by certain xhtml/epub input.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #995
tkeo
Connoisseur
tkeo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite, Kobo Aura HD
Hi,

I have no reason to oppose to implement a new feature.
But I'd like to ask what is mobiml?

Thanks,
tkeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #996
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeo View Post
Hi,

I have no reason to oppose to implement a new feature.
But I'd like to ask what is mobiml?

Thanks,
Sorry. It's just a shorcut to what I (and others) would call the mobi markup language. It's what's in the *.html file in the Mobi 7 folder. The (nearly) raw output of the mobi-only portion of a kindlebook (image references and the like are rebuilt). Very similar to HTML 3 with a few additions (and plenty of garbage).

There's currently some work going on in another project to upgrade a semi-retired mobiml2html script to take that mobi markup and spit out something as close to xhtml as possible (while maintaining the formatting of the original book). It's made more difficult by the sheer amount of junk that can sometimes be found in that mobi markup (inline elements that cross block-level element boundaries, improperly nested and/or mismatched tags, as well as opf and ncx markup in the headers and bodies). Not to mention tags that are invalid/deprecated in xhtml.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-17-2014 at 09:08 AM.