Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2023, 01:32 PM   #1
Georgie W
Connoisseur
Georgie W began at the beginning.

Device: KT4 5.13.6
Kindle display - change to number of items per page

Background - I've got a jail-broken Kindle KT4 (10th Gen) on f/w 5.13.6. I keep it permanently on Airplane mode & I've got the OTA binaries loaded. I send a copy of every sideloaded book to Amazon as well, so that I've got a cloud backup, but never bother downloading them, ofc, since I don't go on line.

Couple of days ago (how I have no idea) it took itself off airplane mode & (annoyingly) downloaded all the waiting books BUT also
a) somehow made every book show the GoodReads pop-up "About This Book" whenever I open a book.
b) reduce the number of items per page shown in list mode from 8 down to 7.

The f/w hasn't altered - still 5.13.6 (thank goodness & the OTA binaries). Any thoughts about what's altered and how I could alter it back?

Thanks.
Georgie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:39 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Amazon isn't a backup, it's a shop.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2023, 03:14 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie W View Post
Background - I've got a jail-broken Kindle KT4 (10th Gen) on f/w 5.13.6. I keep it permanently on Airplane mode & I've got the OTA binaries loaded. I send a copy of every sideloaded book to Amazon as well, so that I've got a cloud backup, but never bother downloading them, ofc, since I don't go on line.

Couple of days ago (how I have no idea) it took itself off airplane mode & (annoyingly) downloaded all the waiting books BUT also
a) somehow made every book show the GoodReads pop-up "About This Book" whenever I open a book.

The f/w hasn't altered - still 5.13.6 (thank goodness & the OTA binaries). Any thoughts about what's altered and how I could alter it back?

Thanks.
amazon can turn various features on and off.

From time to time someone figures out how to change some particular feature and makes a post, but it never gets written up in an organised way.

Your best option is probably to downgrade to some 5.11.x or 5.10.x firmware.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 01:46 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:

Thanks.
You can, at least, turn off About This Book display. I think even with your firmware version you can go to Aa->More and turn it off there.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 03:18 PM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Amazon isn't a backup, it's a shop.
They offer free cloud storage of personal documents. So it is a store and a backup
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2023, 05:18 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
They offer free cloud storage of personal documents. So it is a store and a backup
You can easily be locked out by Amazon or have no Internet. It's not a backup because do you know their security & backup of that?

The Cloud is marketing of someone else's computer/server.

It's a copy, not a backup. Using Send to Kindle service it's not even a true copy but a conversion.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 04:37 PM   #7
Georgie W
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You can easily be locked out by Amazon or have no Internet. It's not a backup because do you know their security & backup of that?

The Cloud is marketing of someone else's computer/server.

It's a copy, not a backup. Using Send to Kindle service it's not even a true copy but a conversion.
Agreed on all points. I have 3 (three) external hard drives that I back up to, one of which I keep in the car. No, I don't know why I need that many either. So Amazon using Calibre's one-click send-by-email feature is a back up of positively last resort.
Old 02-27-2023, 04:39 PM   #8
Georgie W
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You can, at least, turn off About This Book display. I think even with your firmware version you can go to Aa->More and turn it off there.
Yes! Thank you - that worked.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:04 AM   #9
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Agreed on all points. I have 3 (three) external hard drives that I back up to, one of which I keep in the car.
Have you tried to restore from it? A mixture of vibration, frequent extreme heat and cold, and big magnetized things on all sides would make me a bit worried about using cars as a storage medium. (Though modern HDDs are almost invulnerable to external magnetic fields in any case: the drive medium is almost impossible to magnetize, thus almost impossible to disturb.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
display, goodreads, kindle