Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
transforming powerpoint for a sony reader?

Hello all,

i've been really interested on getting some powerpint presentations on the reader, but of course, it is not compatible. Now, does enybody know a way to transform a powerpoint presentation to a format readable by the sony reader? (excluding the animations of course).

I was thinking some way to transform the presententatiosn sheets into images (enough resolution to be viewable but keeping the file size low) and then placing them in a format compatible with the reader, such as .lrf, but the images would have to be sideways to take advantage of the whole screen.

Anybody has any ideas besides doing the process manually for each page?
gonzule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Can you try converting them to a pdf?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'd go with the PDF approach myself ... I'd expect the text to be mostly large enough to see ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:40 AM   #4
Zabuton
Zabuton began at the beginning.

Device: BB8800/Sony PRS-505
I use the free PDFCreator as a virtual printer (Can print entire file to a pdf file). Previously I use pdflrfwin to convert to lrf but this is not necessary anymore.
Zabuton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
gonzule

yeah, i tried converting it to a PDF but the powerpoint sheet is placed horizontaly inside the PDF sheet. When i oppened the PDF document inside Acrobat Reader the sldes were horizontal, but they showed as vertical slides inside the reader.

-------------------------------------------
|.....................pdf...........................|
|.................................................. ..|
|------------------------------------------|
|...........powerpoint sheet..............|
--------------------------------------------

I'll give it another try and post my results here, i think the PDF virtual printer is the best choice.
Advert
Old 08-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
See Section III of the attached document.

Sony Reader Guide for creating optimized PDF content.

III. Creating PDFs from Presentations
Create presentations with optimized dimensions and layout in Microsoft® PowerPoint and OpenOffice.org Impress / Generate PDFs with appropriate settings using Adobe PDF or PDF Creator printer
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A guide for creating PDFs for the Sony Reader.pdf (1.01 MB, 766 views)
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:49 AM   #7
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Okay, here's something to try, I think it works rather well.

Create your powerpoint file, making sure there is something of an artificial border around the slides (either a thin black rectangle or a background image or something). Then choose File > Save as and select jpg. Choose where you want to save it, and it will then ask you if you want to save all slides as .jpg > yes you do.

Now add all exported jpg files to a big zip archive, and rename the archive to somefile.cbz

Now use Calibre's comic2lrf with the "disable landscape image split" or -l option to convert the cbz file into a pretty Sony lrf file.

I found this works rather well - the reason you want a border around your slideshow is that comiclrf will do border detection and if there isn't any it will crop your images as close as possible which can give strange results.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:25 AM   #8
gonzule

wow, thanks for the results, i'll give them a try this weekends
Old 08-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Zabuton
Zabuton began at the beginning.

Device: BB8800/Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzule View Post
yeah, i tried converting it to a PDF but the powerpoint sheet is placed horizontaly inside the PDF sheet. When i oppened the PDF document inside Acrobat Reader the sldes were horizontal, but they showed as vertical slides inside the reader.

-------------------------------------------
|.....................pdf...........................|
|...........powerpoint sheet..............|
--------------------------------------------

I'll give it another try and post my results here, i think the PDF virtual printer is the best choice.
Pdflrfwin has the option for rotation. Use -90 and it displays sideways but taking up the entire screen. Disable "join pages" so each ppt slide takes up a single screen.
Zabuton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
whiskymac
Scottish Member
whiskymac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Dell Axim 51v
I haven't got my Reader yet, Waterstones should ship it next week. However I will be interested in transfering some of my many PowerPoints on to it if possible. One method I have in mind is to save the PPT as .jpg files as Acidzebra suggests but without the borders. Then I'll load up Irfanview and batch process the .jpg's to rotate by 90 degrees. Finally I'll use a PDF writer, I have distiller, to generate the PDF file. I hope this works, I'll updae you once I receive my shinny new gadget.
whiskymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Sound's like it ought to work, whiskymac. Congrats on your new toy, and welcome to the forum.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!