Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
readit
Enthusiast
readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.

Device: Binatone ReadMeClassic 6",TravelmateC110 10.4",HTC Wizard WinMobile
Cheap ASDA E-Readers.from 50 pound

Here two ASDA eReaders, for 50 and 75:

View Quest Mediabox

Elonex E-Reader

Both with different specs; good price, eh?

I like the introduction text with the hint to the kindle price and the referral to Gutenberg:

Start building your eBook library with our amazing £52 reader
With sales of eBooks soaring we’ve introduced a great new eBook reader – the View Quest Mediabox – that at just £52 is less than half the price of Amazon’s lowest cost Kindle and packed with loads more features.

Unlike more expensive options like the Kindle, the View Quest Mediabox also plays movies and music on its 5-inch-wide colour screen.

The great thing about an eBook reader is that you don’t have to spend any more money to get your hands on a complete library of classic literature.

You can find thousands of free out-of-copyright eBooks online at sites such as Project Gutenberg and download them on to your reader. And whenever you want to buy newer titles, the reader is compatible with a wide range of content formats available.

Last edited by readit; 02-21-2011 at 04:46 PM.
readit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
readit
Enthusiast
readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.

Thanks to Neil I found it in the first place:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Pssst, Readit. Your local ASDA supermarket is peddling a reader for fifty quid. Back lit, and I don't know what formats it supports, but it's maybe worth checking out. Hoots. Neil
This week I went to ASDA, with a DataChip full of books to test it, and with £52 ...but...it wasnt there...and they have not heard of it (or the bigger model) so far ...one more "online" offer, they don't want in the stores, cause they had a 110 quid Tablet for sale

Not much guys from UK here I suppose, so not much experience possible...
Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
readit
Enthusiast

Found someone in here, who has this device.
It was last summer when she asked, so she might not be around anymore:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie View Post
ive got a view quest book reader and im wanting to get music on it , but cnt find how its done , can any one help me, when i click on music on ebook it jus says no music. ive just learned how to get books on it , so it might take me a while sorting out the music part lol . ps my email is sfluffyduck@aol.com if any one can help me, sorry if ive posted this in wrong post im new here and it will take me a while to find my way round the sites tammie
Old 03-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
The Elonex is available from Waterstones... it's actually pretty good for a pocket LCD device... 4GB internal storage and SDHC card slot, reads various formats as well as playing video and audio...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I saw another new device on offer in the UK last week (can't remember where now) for £29.99. I suspect all these cheapos are backlit and I've still to work out what formats they might handle. No doubt, though, the really cheap -- or even free -- ebook reader will be out there before long. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
sushigal007
sushigal007 began at the beginning.

Device: ViewQuest Media Box
I've got the £52 one if you're still wanting information on it. I'd never used an ebook reader before, so I don't know if I should be expecting better, but for a first time user, it's pretty good. It supports epub (but doesn't seem to like them with pictures), txt, html, lrc, pdb and pdb, as well as playing music and video.
sushigal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
readit
Enthusiast

Nice, at least some people in here are interested in a topic about "not spending more than necessary".

There WAS actually an e-ink device sold for £39, someone posted it back in Feb ( forum link) , and no response at all from others.

Well, some just have the money and don't care about "a hundred" more or less,eh?

Anyway, with makro group (metro imperium!) having made the approach, let's see which big sellers follow and when the "kidlemania" comes to an end
Old 07-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by readit View Post
Nice, at least some people in here are interested in a topic about "not spending more than necessary".

There WAS actually an e-ink device sold for £39, someone posted it back in Feb ( forum link) , and no response at all from others.:
It looks as though that £39 eInk reader only supported TXT and HTML files. The specs quoted by Makro were incorrect and were for a model currently being sold at M&S for £139.

The version at Makro is also at Argos for £90 - see the comments about the specs here:

http://reviews.argos.co.uk/1493-en_g...05/reviews.htm

Quote:
Well, some just have the money and don't care about "a hundred" more or less,eh?:
Some are doubtless fortunate to have more money, but I suspect that there are very few who don't care about the price.

Quote:
Anyway, with makro group (metro imperium!) having made the approach, let's see which big sellers follow and when the "kidlemania" comes to an end
Prices have been coming down steadily over the last couple of years, and as more features do creep into the lower end machines it will bring down the prices still further. 'Kindlemania' or not, you are still getting a lot more for your £110 Kindle or £130 Sony than you get from the budget end of the market. Such as the new Pearl screens or the ability to read books purchased from the major retailers without having to break the DRM (or, as with this cheap Binatone out the box, lose the formatting of the book).

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 07-06-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote