Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
bmwr1200c
Enthusiast
bmwr1200c began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
HTML to ePub conversion time

I was converting financial reports usually they are around 100 pages. I downloaded the html file from SEC.gov and I put 3 files to covert to ePub and it took more than 7 mins to do that. Is it normal?

I was running with on Pentium 4, 2.5 ghz and 3Gb ram machine running ubuntu and also did the same on 2011 Macbook pro with 2.2 Ghz, quadcore and 4 gb RAM

Both machines took ~90% cpu usage.

The files I converted are the First 3 files from link below.
http://sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?...clude&count=40

The time was almost the same. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
bmwr1200c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwr1200c View Post
I was converting financial reports usually they are around 100 pages. I downloaded the html file from SEC.gov and I put 3 files to covert to ePub and it took more than 7 mins to do that. Is it normal?

I was running with on Pentium 4, 2.5 ghz and 3Gb ram machine running ubuntu and also did the same on 2011 Macbook pro with 2.2 Ghz, quadcore and 4 gb RAM

The files I converted are the First 3 files from link below.
http://sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?...clude&count=40

The time was almost the same. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
There is no Normal

Normal would assume that all documents were created the same.
We know that is not true...

7Mins is a relatively short time compared to some really worse cases (12 to 24 hours).
~2 is typical on my P4 3.2MHz 1.5G RAM XP SP3
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwr1200c View Post

I am not surprised they took about the same time to complete. I may be wrong but I believe it is one job => one core so I think the above is not exactly accurate, each machine probably maxed out one core. Your quad core should still have had 3 cores free.

While most conversions take 30 seconds to 3 minutes the max for me has been 6 hours.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote