Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Calibre noob with, perhaps, an old question

I've searched the forum and I think the answer is that this is not an easy (possible?) thing to do in Calibre, but I'll ask just in case I misread things.

I've recently tried an e-book conversion from PDF to epub and what was, I pressume, headers and footers in the PDF (book title, author, page numbers) has all been incorporated into the body text making it pretty annoying to read.

Are there Calibre settings that eliminate or at least minimize this, or is a manual edit the only way to fix it?
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:30 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
AFAIK calibre won't do it
Exporting form Adobe to html or rtf usually removes headers and page numbers
Probably some freeware that will do this as well.
I have had a few files that I converted with Calibre to rtf and then removed headers using word but won't work on a lot of them
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre can remove header/footers, but you have to set up a regex expression to identify them which most people find very hard to get just right.

The next version of the PDF conversion engine in Calibre is going to have logic to try and auto-recognise headers and footers embedded in a document.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Calibre can remove header/footers, but you have to set up a regex expression to identify them which most people find very hard to get just right.

The next version of the PDF conversion engine in Calibre is going to have logic to try and auto-recognise headers and footers embedded in a document.
Thanks, that's good news.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
I've stumbled across this as well, and have also stubbed my toes on regex. My preferred (but labour intensive) procedure is:
- export pdf as txt;
- manually remove headers & footers in editor of your choice (I use Note Tab Light) - the search function can be useful here;
- apply standard sequence of search & replace to remove hard line endings etc.

From there on you can either play with Sigil or try dropping it into Calibre (I play with Sigil)

Hope this helps a little
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert