Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Stupid computer question

My question is regarding general computer maintenance, not e-books, so I thought I'd ask here. I'm reletively ignorant, so try to keep a straight face and use small words if you decided to reply

I finally tried to "defragment" my little laptop, which I've never done before and I've had the thing 2-3 years. First I had to clean off a bunch of junk files because it was apparently too full to do the operation. Then I did the "analyze", was advised that I should "defragment this volume", and hit "defragment". It churned around and came up with it's little graphic with the cute little colored lines and said it was done, but couldn't defragment some files. I hit "analyze" again, and it said that I "should defragment this volume". So I did. I've gone through this cycle several times, and it rearranges the little lines and the white spaces do get a titch bigger each time, and there are more blue bars (contiguous files) each time. But it ALWAYS says I need to defragment the damn thing when I analyze it.

Do I just need to keep at it to catch up somehow from not doing it for years? Is there anything I need to do with the report that it generates (which is pretty much gibberish to me).

ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Try this Link

I´ve never seen windows defragmenting only half the drive, are you using your computer while it defragments? that might cause it to stop in the middle of the process.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Boot your laptop into safe mode (how to do this depends on your version of windows - google is your friend) - which turns off all but essential processes - and then defrag. If you have networking, or any other process automatically running in the background, it will interrupt and restart your defrag until it gives up without finishing.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Boot your laptop into safe mode (how to do this depends on your version of windows - google is your friend) - which turns off all but essential processes - and then defrag. If you have networking, or any other process automatically running in the background, it will interrupt and restart your defrag until it gives up without finishing.

remember the op said please use small words ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
remember the op said please use small words ....

Sorry - I couldn't resist.

Seriously - will rewrite if necessary - give a shout!
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Just as a note:

1. Windows never totally defragments everything. Some files cannot be, and some files aren't considered worth the effort (that is, after a while the defrag will stop when it becomes more effort to defrag further than it's worth).
2. At least 15% of your drive space must be empty - as you found out. But even if you have that much, it won't be a perfect defrag. The more free space you have, the better it works.
3. Defragment isn't super important any more due to changes in hard drive tech. As long as you run it once a month (or even every other) it's not a big deal if it does an imperfect job.
4. The more often you defrag, the easier each defrag stays. If you haven't defragged in months (or years) then it will be many times harder to defrag it.

If you really want to get a better defrag job done, it might be worth checking some third party software -- there is better stuff out there than the built-in windows one, though I fear I don't remember exactly which ones are worth downloading; I'll have to leave that advice to others. Don't pay for a defragmenter though, it's not worth it.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
there are some defrag software programs available for free - even the paid ones allow for a few days 'trial' ...

that said, perhaps best thing to do would be to defrag once daily (say), with the in-built windows, and see if it 'gets any easier'.

(btw, what windows are you using?)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post

that said, perhaps best thing to do would be to defrag once daily (say), with the in-built windows, and see if it 'gets any easier'.

(btw, what windows are you using?)

Tablet XP.

ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Here's the link to Microsoft instructions for XP safe mode:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Give it another try - if the XP defrag utility isn't working for you - try Catire's link.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Hi ziegl028!
You might try one of the following programs:
Simple to use.
Sounds good too. Probably better performance. Possible complicated usage.
Innovative techology. Good reviews. Not sure if the trial license gives full functionality.

P.S.: Couldn't get all of the words small, but at least there are no complicated sentences!
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote