Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
MaxwellBeckett
MaxwellBeckett began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505-Red
Newbie question: mobi convert to sony with Caliber

Hi everyone,

I just got my 505 yesterday. I purchased a book from mobipocket thinking I would use Caliber to convert it to sony’s format, but it tells me that it is DRMed and needs to be «stripped(?)» before converting. How do I do this? It sounds illeeeeeeeeeegal....but I did buy the book.....?....Am I not supposed to be able to do this?

Cheers,
Max

(apologies for my ebook etiquette ignorance )
MaxwellBeckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi max !
drm removal *may* be (technically) illegal depending on where you live, however i think we'd all agree that if it is only for your own personal use it falls under "fair use" rules (so you go right ahead and convert those books you legitimately purchased !).

for legal reasons, we're not allowed to give you explicit directions on drm removal here, but a little tip : google "mobidedrm".

in future, just for info, in descending order of desirability, i recommend getting the following formats : epub, LIT, mobipocket.

epub can be read natively on your sony and is the new industry standard format, and a much richer format than any others. lit format (microsoft reader) is stunningly easy to unlock / convert and usually gives good results because it's basically just html with a thin wrapper around it. mobipocket format is very flawed and can't support very advanced formatting, however for a novel you can usually get a decent conversion.

don't hesitate to ask for help if you get stuck ! let us know how you manage.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellBeckett View Post
I purchased a book from mobipocket
If you continue to buy MOBI (which probably does have the widest selection) then I suggest buying anywhere except mobipocket.com because they are always the most expensive source for MOBI ebooks. The most often recommended sites include FictionWise and Books on Board (both also sell LIT, and BoB has ePubs). It is also worth checking for UK releases, and I use WHSmith for this (MOBI and ePub).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
MaxwellBeckett
MaxwellBeckett began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505-Red
Thanks for the info. I’m looking forward to sitting down to read my first ebook.

Max
MaxwellBeckett is offline   Reply With Quote