Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you be upgrading to the Paperwhite II proposed below?
Yes. Upgrading from Paperwhite. 17 22.67%
Yes. Upgrading from and old reader, or different brand. 7 9.33%
No. Have Paperwhite already. Not enough improvement. 44 58.67%
No. I haven't got a PW, but will wait until my reader breaks. 7 9.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #76
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Does lack of a USB port mean there is no way to upload books from your laptop to the Kindle? Or can you email them? I do that to get eBooks from my laptop to my iPad.
I think you've misunderstood the previous conversation. All Kindles have a USB port, and the file system mounts as a drive on the PC. You can simply copy books to the appropriate folder on that mounted drive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #77
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Thanks Harry.

I'm thinking of a Paperwhite but have always used a Sony and I have a ton of books on my laptop. Anyway, I saw this thread and thought this would be a good place to pose the question.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #78
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Just put your books into Calibre, and upload them to the Kindle from there. Calibre will noiselessly convert them to AZW3 before uploading (and will of course keep your EPUB too).

Make sure you set Calibre to use AZW3. IIRC, it defaults to MOBI, which restricts the possibilities to make the book look like the way it looked as an EPUB.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #79
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Thanks Katsunami. That should prove to be very useful advice.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #80
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
As is customary for me, I will upgrade to the new Paperwhite even if the only difference is that its called the Paperwhite 2. Then my original Paperwhite will go to my mom.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #81
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Does lack of a USB port mean there is no way to upload books from your laptop to the Kindle? Or can you email them? I do that to get eBooks from my laptop to my iPad.
What happened is, some fool thinks Amazon should get RID of the USB port on Kindles. He wants it to be waterproof, but neglected to realize that he's the only one who thinks so.

Of course, you could ALSO email them, but that is a whole nother story, and only useful for multiple devices, sync and cloud storage, so lets not go there. (Unless you really want to.)

By the way, a workaround to put books on your iPad with calibre: in calibre, click on Connect/Share and select on the dropdown "Connect to iTunes" which will allow you to send your books to device where device=iTunes. Once calibre puts them into iTunes, you should be able to use iTunes sync to save them to your iPad/iThingy.

Much faster than mail, although it would be better if Apple just let you save stuff through the file explorer...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #82
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
That explains it. Sometimes I need to reboot because the front-light gets stuck. It won't turn on when it's off, or won't turn off when it's on. It has something to do with the interaction between the sleep cover magnet and the on-off button. A reboot fixes this. It happened a few days ago, so I'll take a look at the clock.
I've had that same problem, but I have always solved it by accident. I go to the intensity screen and bump the light intensity up or down by a notch. That has always turned the light on, and then I just move it back to seven where it belongs (for me). It's much faster than rebooting. (actually, it's not by accident anymore. I might be a slow learner, but I do learn.)
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #83
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
Has anyone mentioned a solar powering cover? I know these things don't use much power but it would be nice if they could charge up by leaving them in the sun. The only problem here is I love a nice leather cover on my ereaders and that would interfere. It might also destroy what appear to be a huge revenue stream for Amazon...
It took me a while, but I found it again! I knew there was another question someplace. They made one for the Kindle 4, and one for the Kindle Touch but I don't think they ever made one for the Paperwhite. It seems to me that putting that much weight in the top of the case would just throw off the balance completely.

Back to the original question? I've had (and have) several earlier models and a Fire HD, but the Paperwhite is still the best fit for me. The problems I have aren't in the hardware, but in the software. I really miss being able to move forward a chapter at a time, and maintaining collections is still a nightmare. Still, just about everything else is great. No Paperwhite II for me thanks... unless I get one really really cheap. Then I'll get one and add it to the collection.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #84
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Things that would get me to buy a PW2 would be -- speaker or headphone jack for readback as with K2 and K3, bigger screen, more storage. Better lighting doesn't do it for me since my PW looks fine.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #85
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
deleting, duplicate post.

Last edited by susan_cassidy; 08-01-2013 at 02:32 PM.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #86
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
All I want is an option to sideload books
I assume you can do that on the current PW, right? The way you said it makes me wonder a little, so I just wanted to confirm.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #87
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I assume you can do that on the current PW, right? The way you said it makes me wonder a little, so I just wanted to confirm.
You can.

What I mean is that I don't need any other options beside sideloading books, and setting reading preferences such as font sizes and types (and lots of that), so I can read books.

I don't care for integrated Twitter, Facebook, GoodReads, LinkedIn (so your boss can see what you read in your spare time too). I also don't care for TTS, MP3 playback, or audiobooks on an e-reader. My phone is smaller, and can do these things (much) better if I want it to.

The only thing I can see being useful is the integrated store, if you are ready to (or want) to trust Amazon to provide every book you want to read. (And besides that, keep their cloud up, and provide it forever for every future e-reader they release.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 08-01-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #88
SampleAndy
Addict

Quote:
The only thing I can see being useful is the integrated store, if you are ready to (or want) to trust Amazon to provide every book you want to read. (And besides that, keep their cloud up, and provide it forever for every future e-reader they release.)
And don't forget their ability to "upgrade" the books after you've downloaded them. I'm SURE the new editions are much much better than the ones I originally had, but I didn't notice anything wrong with them the first time.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #89
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I love my Paperwhite but honestly I do not see a reason to upgrade to the next generation. This one does all I need it to do. Now the latest generation Kindle Fire, that is a whole different story...
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #90
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
nevermind.

Last edited by aceflor; 08-04-2013 at 08:06 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote