Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Barracuda
Barracuda began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-Er
need easy Ereader

ok so I have had Cool-Er sins 2009 and i like it allot but its getting worse every day, maybe because nephew tried to eat it.

So I need some cheap and easy to use ereader.
Problem is I live in Iceland...

there is a webshop here with a few ereaders on and one of them is Aluratek 5" Libre eBook Reader PRO

now i dont need some fancy wifi or whatsimacallit. just cheap and easy ereader that i can use.

Would you here recommend that Aluratek one or should I look at others?

regards, one confused.
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Define cheap? Kobo and Kindle have versions that are in the $110 range. Sony Touch is $149.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
Barracuda

well cheap is preferably under 100$ but may cost up to 120$

and availability is important sins it is expensive to ship to my country, toll and taxes are sky high.
living on disability pension don't give much opportunity for luxury

I might be able to ask a friend of mine that works in UK right now to bring me a e-reader when she comes back home, but I don't know anyone going to or coming from usa
Old 10-31-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
watch out:
According to this test the Aluratec is using LCD screen technology, instead of eInk (like most ereaders, also your dying coolER).
This makes a big difference in appearence of the text and the battery won't last long.

Unless you know, that you want exactly this (and have good reasons), I would try to get something else. This thing is really outdated.

Which are the other ereaders being offered in this webshop?

Last edited by vishcompany; 10-31-2011 at 05:59 PM.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
How much can you get the Aluratek Libre for? Less than £50/$70? If not, then it's probably not worth it, as you don't have to spend an awful lot more to get far better quality.

The Libre doesn't seem as poor as some cheaper ereaders, and apparently the LCD screen technology isn't that much of an issue (as it's not backlit so no eye strain), but it's not as good as eInk, and as vishcompany has said, it makes the battery life very poor in comparison to other ereaders.

Is the new Kindle from Amazon (£89) or a refurbished Kindle Keyboard from Amazon Warehouse for £79.99 too expensive? If not, your friend in the UK could get one for you.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
Barracuda

sorry for taking so long to resbond but my friend in scotland is ready to buy one for me, now only need to know where and what is best?

the site i was looking on here in iceland is http://buy.is/category.php?id_category=324

ok so i have around 100 - 135 GBP for it
just need easy one.
im so confused over this whole thing. lol
I was told you cant do the drag and drop thing with kindle, see i use ereader also for knitting patters. and my Cool-er is easy to use and easy to transfer files.
I was told in kindle it was not so, but that was some time ago maybe it has changed?
thank you all for your help

Edit: yeh my patterns are mostly PDF... so....

Last edited by Barracuda; 11-22-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have always been able to drag and drop on the Kindle. I did it on my K1.

PDFs do not translate well on most 6 inch e-readers.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
Barracuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
You have always been able to drag and drop on the Kindle. I did it on my K1.

PDFs do not translate well on most 6 inch e-readers.
ok thank you i was told you could not, oh well

and what do you mean with pdf does not translate well?

I read it fine on my Cool-Er

its not graphics of patterns it is written, and totally worth it when i go yarn shopping to be able to show the shop persons the patterns im interested in and finding the right yarn that way instead of guessing or having 20 printed patterns with me to get the right yarn for only 2 of them....

anyways I have 5 weeks until my friend comes home

so is the newest kindle the thing to have? it is within my budget
Old 11-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I don't know about patterns, I just know that most academic articles and the like the font is too small to read easily on a 6 inch ereader and they are hard to read.

There is a $79 version that uses buttons and WiFi. There is $99 version that is touch screen with Wifi. And there is $139 version with 3G and WiFi. All of those come with special offers that you won't be able to use living outside the US. The ads appear on the screen saver and the menu page only, never in a book.

For $30-$40 more you can get the same e-reader without the ads.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS505, Ipod touch, iPhone
I drag on drop on my Kindle without any problems whatsoever.
I have the non keyboard version that's £89 to buy in the UK. I love it.
Traye is offline   Reply With Quote