Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
gatotoo
gatotoo began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Orizon Very Disappointing

Just received my new Orizon and have been playing with it for 3 days.

Incredibly disappointing e-reader.

The Sipix display background is almost grey next to my Cybook gen3 e-ink display. Literally, putting the gen3 and the Orizon side-by side using the same font and other settings, the Orizon letters look grey, not black and are difficult to read by comparison.

Numerous other quirks, incorrect customs forms, an unexpected bill from Fedex for "customs duties" and a no return if you don’t like it policy means a quick listing on Ebay for this e-reader.

My trusted faithful gen3 is back on the charger.
gatotoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
So you come here only for posting such a thing?

That strange for me.

Better, you joined in May 2008 and never post before today?
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
So you come here only for posting such a thing?

That strange for me.

Better, you joined in May 2008 and never post before today?
It must have really ticked him off then.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
gatotoo

Yes it is true, I am not happy with this Bookeen product and their poor customer service response, or as luqmaninbmore puts it, I'm "really ticked off".

The final insult was receiving a $12.70 "customs duty" invoice in the mail yesterday from Fedex.

I'd be curious as to other users experience with the Orizon's Sipix screen readability.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Flinx
Connoisseur
Flinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Cybook Muse Frontlight, Cybook Odyssey
The look at an Oyo (a reader of the German bookstores Thalia with Sipix) was disappointing too. If I have to replace my Cybooks in the future Bookeen is out of the question with that inferior display.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Doesn't anyone read reviews before they buy? The background color issue of SiPix displays has been published pretty wildly, particularly as a couple of other readers have been out for a while.

I still haven't seen one personally, but I bet I could live with a darker background if the text color was darker and with all the cool features that bookeen has added to the Orizon.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
if the text color was darker
It is.

I've looked to both orizon and opus. The orizon screen is quitte ok.
Some have no problem with sPix, while others are disturbed by it.

Quote:
The final insult was receiving a $12.70 "customs duty" invoice in the mail yesterday from Fedex.
Oh dear, fedex followed the law. How insulting.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
gatotoo

Orizon for sale. Only used three days. If you like it that much, make an offer.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:38 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where are you living anyway ?
And what's the prise for you orizon ?
Old 12-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatotoo View Post
Orizon for sale. Only used three days. If you like it that much, make an offer.
Umm, ok, maybe, if the price was right, and you were local. I make it a policy of not buying products from someone who wants to sell things after only a few posts.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard

Well, got my own yesterday, I rather like it so far. My father, used to the gen 3, said "yuck" at the screen though.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Please can some put up a video of the no flashing refresh feature? I'd like to see that in action before committing to an Orizon purchase. The "grey" eink screen doesn't bother me as much as a the flashing refresh.
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard

I'm not sure I have a camera good enough for a useful video. I'll try tomorrow, when i have some light but...
But I went testing the no flash mode. It's actually pretty cool There is no trace on the screen.

Do you have an e-ink reader already ?

Edit : efter a bit of reading, it seams to be slower to turn page. But it's actually hard to tell if true, or if it's just an impression.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 12-25-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #14
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I'm not sure I have a camera good enough for a useful video. I'll try tomorrow, when i have some light but...
But I went testing the no flash mode. It's actually pretty cool There is no trace on the screen.

Do you have an e-ink reader already ?

Edit : efter a bit of reading, it seams to be slower to turn page. But it's actually hard to tell if true, or if it's just an impression.
Thanks so much! I don't have an eink reader but have bought (and returned) a Kobo Wifi, Nook and Kindle 3. I'm hoping that an Orizon will be the one I've been waiting for. Could you also comment on the performance with pdfs and comics?
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:32 AM   #15
scotsy
New to eReading
scotsy began at the beginning.

Device: BooKeen Orizon
Got my wife an Orizon for Christmas as she does lots of book reading nowadays. Screen is clear to read unless in a dimly lit room where it is impossible to see as there is no backlight. The 'pinch' and 'swipe' actions on the touchscreen are very good for quick and simple re-sizing of the text and turning the pages etc and changing fonts is also easy to do. I am not very well up on these devices (our first one) but apart from the lack of brightness from the screen it seems to be a very good product. I do realise that i should have researched the screen's attributes more and that is no fault of the Bookeen Orizon but i did expect it to be readable in a darkened room, it is not :-(

Ian
scotsy is offline   Reply With Quote