Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-24-2014, 12:44 AM   #1
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Is anyone aware of another app that actually does what LibBooks promises?

Last week, I was excited to find James Hu's LibBooks app in the Google Play Store, self-described thusly:

Quote:
Description

With this handy application, you can track library book loans and reservations from your phone/pad. Due dates and availability status can be easily viewed. You can also renew loans and cancel reservations from this application.

Multiple library accounts are supported. And you can just scan your library membership cards rather than type in all the digits manually.

Thousands of libraries in America, Australia, UK and other countries are supported.
Complete list of currently supported libraries can be found from http://libbooks-app.appspot.com
(If your library is not listed, just send me an email to ask for support: libbooks.app@gmail.com and )

Since I belong to seven public library systems (five associated with where I live and work, and two others where I qualified for free memberships online), this kind of app is right up my alley. Only, the LibBooks app disappoints. As one of the app's one-star reviews documents:

Quote:
The lights are on, but no one's home! Nice idea, and the app shows books I checked out at 1 library I belong to, but: (1) many library systems are excluded, including some of the largest in the USA, (2) the developer has not responded to emails, (3) I'm unclear about the app's privacy policies. Great start, but a more serious app developer should take over this project.

Last edited by Froide; 11-24-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:50 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Android forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Last week, I was excited to find James Hu's LibBooks app in the Google Play Store, self-described thusly:

Since I belong to seven public library systems (five associated with where I live and work, and two others where I qualified for free memberships online), this kind of app is right up my alley. Only, the LibBooks app disappoints. As one of the app's one-star reviews documents:

If your library uses Overdrive, try the Overdrive app. You can borrow and read from there too.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.mediaconsole
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:28 AM   #4
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
If your library uses Overdrive, try the Overdrive app. You can borrow and read from there too.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.mediaconsole
Yes, that's true for library books borrowed via OverDrive. 3M Cloud and Axis360/AxisReader work the same way, for books borrowed via those platforms. In contrast, the app about which I'm posting consolidates in one place all of one's library activity - across multiple library accounts and means by which content is borrowed - including tangible items borrowed directly from all the B&M libraries one patronizes as well as items borrowed from those libraries' various e-lending platforms.

Last edited by Froide; 11-25-2014 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:36 AM   #5
Cindy001
Cindy001 began at the beginning.

Device: none
In fact I can not think of any real App and books the same, there are some differences on the content and feel.
Cindy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Yes, that's true for library books borrowed via OverDrive. 3M Cloud and Axis360/AxisReader work the same way, for books borrowed via those platforms. In contrast, the app about which I'm posting consolidates in one place all of one's library activity - across multiple library accounts and means by which content is borrowed - including tangible items borrowed directly from all the B&M libraries one patronizes as well as items borrowed from those libraries' various e-lending platforms.
My libraries are only Overdrive and you didn't mention Overdrive in your post so I didn't know if you knew about it.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
Froide
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
My libraries are only Overdrive and you didn't mention Overdrive in your post so I didn't know if you knew about it.
I should have been more specific from the outset and appreciate your post, as it forced me to better " 'splain everyone" what I was looking for.