Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #17056
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Carolyn Keene (Harriet Stratemeyer Adams) & Kim Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The Clue of the Black Keys was a fun read.

I really liked Cocaine Blues and decided by the end I was going to continue with the series. Calibre's 'get books' feature found a good deal on a bundle of the first 6 books in the series (it was a good deal even though I already had book one [free from Amazon]) at Diesel Books for $17.16.

So now on to Mystery at the Ski Jump (Nancy Drew #29) by Carolyn Keene and Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher #2) by Kerry Greenwood
I really liked Mystery at the Ski Jump as it was, as with all the Nancy Drew books, a fun and nostalgic read for me.

Flying Too High was a highly enjoyable read and I'll be going back after a short break to read the next of the Phryne Fisher mysteries.

The next one is The Clue of the Velvet Mask (Nancy Drew #30) by Carolyn Keene (Harriet Stratemeyer Adams) and I'm looking forward to it. It is written by a different ghost-writer.

Also, I'm reading a short story collection taking place in The Hollowsverse, Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond (The Hollows #10.1) by Kim Harrison.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #17057
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
it's great. go for it.
Just as soon as the library tells me it is available. I am the first on the list though, so shouldn't be too long.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #17058
SouthernSun
Connoisseur
SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I'm currently on page 445/1,376 of Stephen King's IT. It's my first King novel, and it's introduced me to a whole genre of reading that I didn't realise I loved until now. I'm sacrificing a quite bit of sleep because of this book... and not always by choice!

Quote:
They were seven teenagers when they first stumbled upon the horror. Now they were grown-up men and women who had gone out into the big world to gain success and happiness. But none of them could withstand the force that drew them back to Derry, Maine to face the nightmare without an end, and the evil without a name.
SouthernSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #17059
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSun View Post
I'm currently on page 445/1,376 of Stephen King's IT. It's my first King novel, and it's introduced me to a whole genre of reading that I didn't realise I loved until now. I'm sacrificing a quite bit of sleep because of this book... and not always by choice!
If you like It that much I highly recommend The Stand as your next King book but you better get some sleep before you start it!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #17060
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Black Diamond (Bruno, Chief of Police)

Just finished Black Diamond, by Martin Walker. This is book #3 of the Bruno, Chief of Police series that features a small town Chief of Police in the French Perigord. This novel centers around illegal immigration and fraud in the truffle business, but remains mostly about people and relationships and food. These really are delightful books, very much in the the "cozy" genre, but with a quite French style. Recommended.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #17061
SouthernSun
Connoisseur
SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
If you like It that much I highly recommend The Stand as your next King book but you better get some sleep before you start it!
I don't know how I'll cope with being on the edge of my seat for a couple of thousand pages, but I'm willing to give it a go - I might as well figure out whether I love having the pants scared off me by drowning myself in horror all at once. That is to say, I've added The Stand to my Amazon wishlist.

SouthernSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #17062
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Finished Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. Great book, but I didn't like the ending.Everything else was good, but that great buildup just deflated in a halfhearted ending :/

Few days ago I started The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie. This is going great. Glokta makes my day lol
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #17063
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Equal Rites was another excellent book from Terry Pratchett. I am ready to read Mort now.
The Witches and Death always rate highly with me, although Moist von Lipwig from later books is another favourite.

I'm looking to buy a few more Discworld titles to start on the home stretch of reading all of it.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #17064
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
The Witches and Death always rate highly with me, although Moist von Lipwig from later books is another favourite.

I'm looking to buy a few more Discworld titles to start on the home stretch of reading all of it.
I saw the Hogfather movie a couple years ago and enjoyed it, so I have been thinking about starting a Death book for a long time, just haven't gotten around to it. I really enjoyed the Moist von Lipwig books I have read too, and the City Watch books (which is the only sub-series that I think I have finished). Basically any that I have read. I just have never had the funds to keep going in the series, but now that my library seems to have them in e-books that may change.

This isn't going to help my sub-challenge of reducing the overall percentage of fantasy books that I have read. Oh well, I am willing to take that hit.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #17065
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
I finished Defending Jacob by William Landay a couple of days ago and am now reading Gulp by Mary Roach, very entertaining it is too!
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #17066
HoraceWimp
Enthusiast
HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PW2, Kobo Aura
I read primarily historical fiction and pure history.

I've just finished Holy War, the third book in the Saladin Trilogy by Jack Hight (hardback) and Dissolution by C J Sansom, (ebook) a Tudor period Lawyer called Matthew Shardlake who solves crime mysteries.

Other non-fiction books on the go are Empire and The Ascent of Money both by Niall Ferguson and Sir Francis Walsingham by Derek Wilson. First two paperback and last one hardback.

I'm currently reading Dark Fire by C J Sansom, (ebook) the second in the Matthew Shardlake mystery series and after that I have The Scarlet Thief (ebook) lined up by Paul Fraser Collard.
HoraceWimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #17067
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceWimp View Post
I'm currently reading Dark Fire by C J Sansom, (ebook) the second in the Matthew Shardlake mystery series and after that I have The Scarlet Thief (ebook) lined up by Paul Fraser Collard.
I've just read (listened to) his Dominion, which is the first of his I have read. Was very interesting in his interpretation of how things might have gone had Britain lost WWII in the early stages, before the US got involved, but I didn't find the narrative particularly gripping. How are you finding the Shardlake series? I could be persuaded to try something else of his if the recommendation was strong enough.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #17068
HoraceWimp
Enthusiast
HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PW2, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
How are you finding the Shardlake series? I could be persuaded to try something else of his if the recommendation was strong enough.
I really enjoyed it. It was read within two days and that's often a good sign. I wouldn't hold Sansom up as being a a master of mystery detective suspense but I found it easy to read, well paced with nicely drawn characters and plenty of twists and turns.

I was particularly interested in the sub narrative about the dissolution of the monastries by Henry the VIII as I'm particularly interested in Tudor times at the moment.

There's 5 books in the Matthew Shardlake series, it starts with Dissolution and Dark Fire is in the second in the series. I also have Sansom's Winter in Madrid lined up to read as well, but now you've mentioned it, I'll add Dominion to the list!

I read a lot of historical fiction and would thoroughly recommend Jack Hight's Saladin trilogy as well as Michael Arnold's Stryker series set during the English Civil War if those kind of things interest you.

I would certainly recommend Dissolution too if you like Sansom's writing style.
HoraceWimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #17069
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceWimp View Post
I really enjoyed it. It was read within two days and that's often a good sign. I wouldn't hold Sansom up as being a a master of mystery detective suspense but I found it easy to read, well paced with nicely drawn characters and plenty of twists and turns.

I was particularly interested in the sub narrative about the dissolution of the monastries by Henry the VIII as I'm particularly interested in Tudor times at the moment.

There's 5 books in the Matthew Shardlake series, it starts with Dissolution and Dark Fire is in the second in the series. I also have Sansom's Winter in Madrid lined up to read as well, but now you've mentioned it, I'll add Dominion to the list!

I read a lot of historical fiction and would thoroughly recommend Jack Hight's Saladin trilogy as well as Michael Arnold's Stryker series set during the English Civil War if those kind of things interest you.

I would certainly recommend Dissolution too if you like Sansom's writing style.
Thanks. My interest in the Tudors has stayed with me since school (I once visited Mells Manor, a purported gift from Henry VIII to Edward Horner as his reward for assisting in the dissolution - the "plum" Little Jack Horner pulled out of the pie - though the story may be apocryphal), so I'll definitely be adding Dissolution to my reading pile.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #17070
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
Currently reading The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway. About 40% through, and my favorite story by far (so far) is The Short and Happy Life of Francis Macomber. Excellent story, powerful ending.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote