Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Fixing the New Google Market

Borrowed from XDA user arda99: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1218974

If the recent update to Google Market has stopped some of your apps from updating and restricted your access to some market apps, changing your LCD density seems to correct the problem. If, when you go to the Market home, you see Apps, Games, and Books listed at the right, but not Movies (just a gap under Books), then your access is restricted.

These seem like the fewest number of steps to resolve the problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
1) Clear Market data in Application Info
2) Navigate to System folder in Root Explorer and "Mount R/W"
3) Long-press build.prop and "Open in Text Editor"
4) Find "qemu.sf.lcd_density=161" and change it to 160
5) Reboot
6) Run Market

If Market is still limited, repeat step 1 and open it again.
Density of 160 has been known to cause the Market to stop working in the past (that's why CM7 and Nooter default to 161), so you may have to repeat this process, changing the density back to 161, in the future, and then change it back to 160 again to get full access back :P So far, no one has had that issue after applying this fix.

If you were using a custom LCD density (I like 187), you can change it back after you get Market working--as long as you don't clear Market data again, and the app doesn't perform another check (which it doesn't appear to do often), it will still think your density is 160. You can make a back-up of Market data in Titanium Back-up to restore in case it does re-check your density, as a shortcut to the process above.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:10 AM   #2
MyDilemma
MyDilemma began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK COLOR, and Galaxy Tab
Wow, there is always a solution to this hackable Nook Color, I will do this when I get home from this long trip, meanwhile I'm carrying my Galaxy Tab7 and my Nook is sitting at home. I did that system folder build.prop for Netflix and it works. thanks...

NOOK COLOR 2.2 FROYO, EMMC, RC2
MyDilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
Hi,

I tried this but can't get the build.prop file to save. I've tried it on ES Explorer and I think the problem is that it won't "mount" (whatever that means). Is this because I'm running CM7 on an sd card? Just out of curiosity, I took out the sd card, booted up eclair on my rooted NOOK color, installed ES Explorer, tried it and it seemed to "mount" okay.

Am I missing something? Or is it not possible to change system files when using CM7 on an sd card?
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I remember finding it a hassle mounting system as r/w with ES File Explorer, too, when I was running from SD. Mounting system r/w to edit build.prop is pretty much the only job I still do with Root Explorer; it's simple, and seems to work every time. Otherwise I use File Expert, which is very similar to ES but a bit more polished.

However, you can also use the app LCD Density to temporarily change the density to 160. Use the restart setting "Killall" in the app and it will do a partial reboot to apply the change, after which you can wipe Market data, but the next time you reboot, dpi will revert to the value in build.prop (probably 161).

I already had to re-do the fix this morning, but that may be in part because I was rebooting repeatedly working on something else, and/or because I changed my dpi from 160 to 187 after the fix was applied. If you leave your dpi at 160 and the Market starts acting up again, just clearing Market data should take care of it.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Thank you!!! It worked. I have all my apps back (at least for now). Yippee!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
taosaur
intelligent posterior

I'll bet your issue with ES was the same issue I just solved in File Expert.

Troubleshooting 101: did you plug it in?

I hadn't gone into the app settings to enable root. I just assumed I had root enabled, but apparently not. You probably do have it enabled in ES on your stock install, but not in CM7.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
Eskarina
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I'll bet your issue with ES was the same issue I just solved in File Expert.

Troubleshooting 101: did you plug it in?

I hadn't gone into the app settings to enable root. I just assumed I had root enabled, but apparently not. You probably do have it enabled in ES on your stock install, but not in CM7.
I have ES Explorer enabled to root and it has superuser access. When I check for "mount" it flashes a message saying "failed to mount" I also tried File Expert and Astro but nothing worked.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
MyDilemma

My build is 2.2 froyo and not CM7 so its showing different density on build.prop., Anybody got an idea about this. I have no plan to update to CM7.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDilemma View Post
My build is 2.2 froyo and not CM7 so its showing different density on build.prop., Anybody got an idea about this. I have no plan to update to CM7.
Try the LCD Density app set for "Killall." If it says your density is already 160, just try going to the Market App Info, Clear Data, then run the Market again.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
redsilver2
redsilver2 began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook CM7 SD card
Netflix..??

Okay so I used the app LCD Density and now I have several new apps in the market and at the market home I have the Movies tab now!! BUT I don't have Netflix... it's not even an option. Any info?
Color Nook CM7 on SD card.
redsilver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #11
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsilver2 View Post
Okay so I used the app LCD Density and now I have several new apps in the market and at the market home I have the Movies tab now!! BUT I don't have Netflix... it's not even an option. Any info?
Color Nook CM7 on SD card.
I get the same thing--even longpressing my Netflix icon and going to the Market from there, it's "no results found," but the app's still working fine. If you don't have it, probably find the .apk elsewhere and sideload it. I don't know why it doesn't show in Market now.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Thanks.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #13
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
I can find the proper file in System, but how do I perform this?

1) Clear Market data in Application Info
Longpress your Market icon. One of the options that comes up is Application Info which will take you into the Market's App Manager page. On that page is a button labeled Clear Data.

ETA: Looks like you figured it out

Last edited by taosaur; 08-19-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:11 AM   #14
MyDilemma

You can use Root Explorer (don’t forget to mount it as RW first) or File Expert and edit build.prop right on your Nook Color. It is still a good idea to back up the file first. “Nexus S” and “samsung” for product.model and product.brand are also reported to work, and you can change only the two following lines: ro.product.model=NookColor ro.product.manufacturer=bn with these: ro.product.model=Nexus S ro.product.manufacturer=samsung Let us know your experience!!! Note: The change might break your market, so be sure to back-up the build.prop file just in case. I’ll keep you updated with any refinements are developed. The procedure worked well on my CyanogenMod 7 Nook Color and the market still works well. Warning: The Netflix guys will probably block this hack at the next opportunity. Do not update the Netflix app if you made it work! Note: If you still get the device not supported message, uninstall Netflix app and install it again from the Market. After that, restart your Nook Color. Many thanks to the folks at XDA Developers...

That will work on CM7
Mine is 2 2 FROYO
ro.product.model=HTC Vision
ro.product.manufactrer=HTC
My Netflix works flawlessly even wifi tethering on my Sprint HTC EVO 4g.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #15
riodeg242
riodeg242 began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Awesome info and thanks; works for me beautifully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskarina View Post
...on ES Explorer and I think the problem...
Regarding ES Explorer, like someone else mentioned, give ES Explorer root permissions. Also, you don't need to mount r/w, just change permissions to build.prop to other rw-, edit, change back. In ES Explorer, long press on file and goto "Properties".
riodeg242 is offline   Reply With Quote