Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
dcmarquardt
dcmarquardt doesn't litterdcmarquardt doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Calibre-Server - Ubuntu 10.10 - Running but not serving

Hey, hoping that someone can help me out with this. I've tried quite a few times to get this working and nothing seems to work.

I installed calibre using the normal command-line installer, nothing fancy. Everything is installed correctly to /opt/calibre/...

A few things to keep in mind:
This is a Ubuntu 10.10 server.
I do not have any kind of X running on here, I'm trying to create strictly a calibre-server daemon. I've used a few of the scripts posted around to get it running as a daemon, and I can get it started up just fine, but no matter how I start it, I cannot reach it via a web browser.

I've disabled all firewalls on the machine.
I've set the port to port 8787, because I do have a tomcat server running using port 8080. (Just for fun I shut tomcat down, and tried it with the default port also, and no luck).
I am using a library created on my Windows machine that is on my NAS drive. The path to the library is an NFS share (hope that doesn't matter), and I am able to cd /.../.. to the directory with the books and .db file just fine.

When I start up the server (either using the script, or simply by running the command manually) I always get a message about a segfault, but it appears to start anyway. In the /var/log/messages file I see this:

Apr 1 14:24:01 sv03 kernel: [ 5064.271392] calibre-server[6850]: segfault at 4 ip 0017ba7d sp bfafd670 error 4 in libpython2.7.so.1.0[110000+134000]
Apr 1 14:24:01 sv03 kernel: [ 5064.293318] calibre-server[6855]: segfault at 4 ip 0017ba7d sp bfafd670 error 4 in libpython2.7.so.1.0[110000+134000]

Any help would be appreciated, I'm using the latest version of calibre (0.7.53).

Also, anytime I start up the server and do a sudo netstat -plntu, I see my normal running web server, and I see the tomcat server (and some other stuff) but never this server on any of the ports I've tried to start it on.
dcmarquardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
It's not running. The segfault is the issue.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
dcmarquardt

Any suggestions on how to fix it? I've gone through and verified all of the dependencies, I'm just trying to run it on a headless server, and I've found a few startup scripts for the server online and no matter how I try to run it, I always get the Segmentation fault message when starting the service... it shows up as running when I do a ps -ef, but it's not listening on any port.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
First start it in the foreground with

calibre-server

and see if that works
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
dcmarquardt

Tried just calibre-server & sudo calibre-server and both return this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 58, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/library/server/main.py", line 114, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/library/database2.py", line 161, in __init__
File "genericpath.py", line 18, in exists
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found
Old 04-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You haven't created a library for your calibre install as yet, do this

Either run calibre once or copy an existing library folder from another machine and use the --with-library switch to point to it.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
dcmarquardt

Based upon that error I don't know if it's finding my library from the ~/.config/calibre/... so I tried:

calibre-server --with-library=/path/to/my/library

Then it doesn't throw the error, it just sits there like it's doing something, but I still cannot access the server on any port... opening another session to my server, I don't see anything listening for calibre on any ports (default should be 8080 I assume?) and I made sure to stop my tomcat server that is normally on 8080.

Just to be sure it wasn't the library I was using, I created a new library and just added a couple of books to it, since my normal library has around 5000 entries I wanted to make sure it wasn't related to the library.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
dcmarquardt

Interesting, I moved the library to the local drive and now it's running fine. It just didn't like the library via the nfs mount.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
dcmarquardt

Another Update... I managed to get it to start with my full library, when I run the script it still gives a segmentation fault.

I tried running just standalone and adding each option until it broke, and it looks like when I put the --daemonize option is when it throws the segmentation fault. Before adding that, it works fine.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You dont really need --daemonize you can just stick an & after the invocation to run it in the background.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
dcmarquardt

Yep, I took it off in the auto-start script I was using, and added --background to the start-stop-daemon command and now it's working like a charm.