Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Video on Mirasol display from Engadget

Engadget posted a video of Mirasol display in high-res.

I cannot find a way to embed high-res youtube video here, so you may click the video to visit youtube for high-res video.

The article also mentions the following.
Quote:
The first display to the market will indeed be this very 5.7-inch, XGA version, which is 240ppi pixel density and a 6x power advantage over E-ink in a typical usage scenario (despite the fact that it's doing full color video).
I am not sure whether it means that Mirasol consumes 1/6th of power than e-ink of the same display size, but it sure sounds like a promising option.

[Source]
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/09/q...lorious-1080p/
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
Engadget posted a video of Mirasol display in high-res.

I cannot find a way to embed high-res youtube video here, so you may click the video to visit youtube for high-res video.

The article also mentions the following.

I am not sure whether it means that Mirasol consumes 1/6th of power than e-ink of the same display size, but it sure sounds like a promising option.

[Source]
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/09/q...lorious-1080p/
They mean it is more efficient than e-ink when both are pushed to running video framerates. It seems to be a creative and optimistic extrapolation of estimates that put EPDs at a strong disadvantage. At normal reading usage, I'm sure it'll be competitive with E-Ink (they don't seem to be telling what the hold state power consumption is, just saying it's "low". It is bistable, but it requires a very tiny bias voltage to maintain a base state, probably comparable to EPD).

I wonder if they're telling people the expected power draw during video compared to, say, backlit LCD, rather than compared to EPD.

Gotta say 240ppi is getting mighty close to what a good reader should have...I hope they can maintain a reasonably dense black state.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 01-09-2010 at 05:06 PM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
Jesus christ thats impressive.
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I don't like the page turns on this or the liquavista screens. They're just too slow. I don't want to give up speed for color (or not much). I just want the pages to pop up the way they do with readers now.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I don't like the page turns on this or the liquavista screens. They're just too slow. I don't want to give up speed for color (or not much). I just want the pages to pop up the way they do with readers now.
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
And this amuses you why?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
And this amuses you why?
You were serious? You actually think demo playback software, probably made in Flash, used to do nothing but display the framerate and color capability of a screen is some kind of final reader software that is going to be adopted by device manufacturers?

That's almost as odd as another poster thinking that the demo chassis used in Liquavista's screen demonstration was a real proposed device casing.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
devant
devant began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Maybe I can take a guess.............because Mirasol refresh rate is 100x faster than eink?

The fact that they can animate a page turn doesn't mean it has to be animated. It means it's able to play smooth video.
devant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Size is perfect. Once they get the color corrected, (too much yellow?) how neat for reading magazines. Or picture books. QUILT BOOKS!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
You were serious?
Yes, I was.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Size is perfect. Once they get the color corrected, (too much yellow?) how neat for reading magazines. Or picture books. QUILT BOOKS!
Or the same books people read today on their e-ink devices.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_A_Crook View Post
Jesus christ thats impressive.
Yes it is indeed. Though i guess the battery was flat after the demo.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #13
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, I was.
Sorry, don't mean to demean you then.

This company makes displays. They're not making UI, they're not making the viewing software, they're not making the device at all. Just the screen and the development kit for it. Nothing except the fundamental display hardware is to be considered a "product" in these demonstrations.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Yes it is indeed. Though i guess the battery was flat after the demo.
Why do you say that?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Sorry, don't mean to demean you then.

This company makes displays. They're not making UI, they're not making the viewing software, they're not making the device at all. Just the screen and the development kit for it. Nothing except the fundamental display hardware is to be considered a "product" in these demonstrations.
Then I thank you for the clarification.