Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #16
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hey thanks everyone for those links. Any more? The Short Story is my favorite form of literature and it seems that ebooks (I'm relatively new to this) are focused (as is the world) more on novels than short story collections which I love such as the annual Years Best Science Fiction from Gardner Dozois -- which seems to be available for Kindle but not in epub wtf??

I also buy the annual general fiction - Best American Short Stories, O Henry Prize stories, Pushcart Prize Stories...but don't seem to find them available either. Guess it's just a market/marketing thing. I was thinking, and think I will start a separate thread on short fiction in general and see about what others have found.
Not Sci-Fi particularly (although I find that term restrictive and old-fashioned anyway)

Eating Grass by Small Stories at Feedbooks (the first Twitter novel "Twovel")

Password Incorrect by Nick Name at Feedbooks (Tech Absurd stories)

and my own work (shameless plug time)

Suggested Oddities and Small Victories at Feedbooks (approaching magical realism, but not quite)

I'm predominantly a short-story writer and short novella/novelist...I find most novels to be ridiculous in length.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:30 AM   #17
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Two short stories I enjoyed very much are "Dumb Martian" and "Pillar to Post" by John Wyndham. I beleive they are included in the book "The seeds of time".
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #18
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Hugo nominees and awards for best short story. Pretty much can't go wrong with these and again, with sci/fi very little is ever outdated.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #19
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
The Town Drunk has new stories out for the month and one of them is a sci/fi (the other is fantasy.) Both are good and they are free reads.

Maria
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #20
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
"The Girl Who Heard Dragons" is a collection of short stories by Anne McCaffrey.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #21
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't remember if I posted this link on this thread. I don't think so...

Check out www.AnthologyBuilder.com -- you can build your own set of short stories and have the book shipped to you. Sorry, DTB only. BUT many of the stories on the site were first published online; you may be able to tell where and access them that way. A bunch of the stories are from out-of-print magazines.

I know Eric Flint has at least one story out there. You can preview a certain amount too.

I highly recommend the work by Nancy Fulda. She does tend towards space opera, but her stuff is just excellent (she runs the site and also is a slush reader for Baen).

Full disclosure: A few of my stories are out there.

Maria
Old 09-17-2009, 12:20 AM   #22
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Fritz Leiber's short stories are good, Smoke Ghost,The Girl with the Hungry Eyes, The Dreams of Albert Moreland, and (esp. if you're a cat person) Space Time for Springers.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:40 AM   #23
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Long list of stuff you can get for free :-

http://freesflist.blogspot.com

My particular favorites :- http://www.scribd.com/doc/17478634/B...ar-and-45-star

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19605359/-...d-Books-4-star
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:41 AM   #24
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Oh, and award winners/nominations along those lines I've separated out here :-

Which also indicates Year's Best anthologies, etc.

http://freesfbest.blogspot.com

Last edited by Blue Tyson; 09-17-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:58 AM   #25
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Try Stanislaw Lem's stories (though I dont know, if they're out as ebooks yet.)
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #26
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Hal Clement.

_Small Changes_ &c.

Classic hard SF.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #27
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Smashwords has a bunch of free short stories. I've been working my way through some of them and posting reviews (I don't generally do the star rating though, so you can't see the reviews from the list page.) There's some pretty good ones out there (and some very weird ones).

Baen's Universe has the most sci-fi short stories that I know of (they are not free). Very high quality artwork and stories.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:31 AM   #28
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The Best of Jim Baen's Universe and four first volumes of the magazine. Free and legal.
http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/1...ensUniverseCD/
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #29
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Thanks Igorsk! I'm really going to miss that magazine when it goes away next year.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #30
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Thanks Igorsk! I'm really going to miss that magazine when it goes away next year.
Yes, thanks. I just snagged a couple of them to add to my 2BRead list.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote