Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2016, 05:54 PM   #16
touring
Connoisseur
touring began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Good advice again David, your utilities located 5,000 extra covers and freed 430Mb
The database compress completed satisfactorily. It only freed 1Mb though.

I hadn't loaded any books on my Kobo for years, so had no idea I was reaching capacity. Also thought I had an SD card which I don't.
But you have another happy customer, merci beaucoup guys!
touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:54 PM   #17
touring
Connoisseur

Hmm, perhaps I spoke too soon. After a reboot I am again unable to find some/all of the newly added books, although all appear in a Calibre with a tick. Perhaps another dud book? I left it processing and now it's discharged so will do some more investigating later.

At least the Kobo should be much healthier with ~400Mb free space now
Advert
Old 01-25-2016, 11:56 PM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring View Post
Hmm, perhaps I spoke too soon. After a reboot I am again unable to find some/all of the newly added books, although all appear in a Calibre with a tick. Perhaps another dud book? I left it processing and now it's discharged so will do some more investigating later.
If calibre shows a book with the "on device" tick when you reconnect, then it means that the book was found on the device by whatever search is used. In the case of the Kobo devices, this is searching the database. And if the book is in the database, it will be displayed in the library on the device.

The complication to the above is books from Kobo. There are options to show Previews and Recommendations in the device list. If these are set, they can be match with books in the calibre library.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:12 AM   #19
touring
Connoisseur

Sorry but it didn't show up in Kobo search for the author name, even though it showed in the Calibre library. I removed about 60% of the recently added books, the remainder seem to be there. But searching for "P510" shows me two copies of the same book now.

The On Device columns of Calibre shows a tick and "Main 2 books", as it does for most of the others.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:36 AM   #20
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Sorry but it didn't show up in Kobo search for the author name, even though it showed in the Calibre library.
One thing to check - did you make sure the dropdown menu to the right of the search box said "Library", not "Current Read" or "Bookstore"? The default is contextual, depending on where you were when you activated the search.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #21
touring
Connoisseur

Cheers Meeera, will check.

Daviffor - is it possible that your image cleanup utility is not compatible with my old firmware version? I was previously reading a particular book with a cover. Searching on the Kobo for that book now shows two copies. One has a cover shows unread, and the other without the cover retains my page mark.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:04 AM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Daviffor - is it possible that your image cleanup utility is not compatible with my old firmware version? I was previously reading a particular book with a cover. Searching on the Kobo for that book now shows two copies. One has a cover shows unread, and the other without the cover retains my page mark.
My first reaction is: Bugs, in my code! Never!

My second reaction is: Probably.

When I wrote the cleanup code, it was for the early 2.x versions. These had the same cover image storage method as 1.9.17 does. And I definitely tested it with 1.9.17. I haven't tested it recently with older firmware, but I also haven't made any changes to it for a long time.

Did the two copies of the book get put on at different times? Does the title have a apostrophe or something else a little non-standard? Letters, number, dash, commas and dots should all be OK, but there is a problem with a quote and some other characters. The quote as an apostrophe is the most likely one to turn up in a title. And hence the file name. And the quote breaks at least one part of the cover image handling.

A way to get the cover back is to use the cover upload in the utilities plugin. Assuming calibre matches the book to one in the library, it can send the current cover to the device. It should replace the cover for both copies of the book. Unfortunately, due to the way the device caches cover images, you might have to restart the device to see the change.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:51 PM   #23
touring
Connoisseur

Before i did the image cleanup, I thought that I had only 1 copy of the book - with a cover. I've attached an image of how it looks now in a search.

I have done a database backup when I have made changes recently, so if I restore the version before the image cleanup, will that fix the problem?

In Calibre, under "on device" most of my books show a green tick and "Main (2 books)" while the Kobo is connected

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...010.10.46e.jpg
Old 01-27-2016, 09:10 PM   #24
touring
Connoisseur

Where Calibre reports 2 copies of a book, looking at the books in Windows explorer shows that one copy has "date modified" on the date when I added a batch of books recently. this isn't the date that I did the image cleanup, so your utility is not to blame David.

I just don't know how I got the second copy on that day, as I only added books from 3 authors - NOT this author.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:02 PM   #25
touring
Connoisseur

I saved a copy of the Kobo database with Kobo Utilities in December before I added new books and this problem developed. Will copying the old database over the current version solve this mess?
Old 01-29-2016, 05:21 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing I suggest is going to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660, downloading the latest firmware for your Touch and updating the firmware. It will be a lot easier to get support. Plus, there are the patches if you want to install.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:03 PM   #27
touring
Connoisseur

I didn't want to upgrade because in 2012 every time I went to a new firmware version or even added books it was a nightmare. I spent days trying to connect to Calibre, and long hours waiting for books to process before I had to repeat the process due to a failure. When I eventually got a stable library, I decided to stay that way.

After doing a factory reset I loaded the latest firmware on to the Touch. I was pleasantly shocked to discover that Calibre successfully loaded the selected books (~800) first time, and Kobo even processed them within about ten minutes.

Well done to the Calibre team for producing such a useful product, and thanks to Davidfor for the brilliant utility which allowed me to preserve my bookmarks and read settings.

Last edited by touring; 01-30-2016 at 04:39 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:37 AM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I'm glad you like the utilities plugin and calibre, but, all this works better with recent firmware than 1.9.17. Mid-2012 was when FW2.0.0 was released and the driver in calibre wasn't updated to handle it until October. Which is when I took over maintenance of the driver. I try not to break anything for the older firmware, but I don't do much testing. But, if you are happy with 1.9.17, stay on it.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:41 AM   #29
touring
Connoisseur

Quote:
After doing a factory reset I loaded the latest firmware on to the Touch. I was pleasantly shocked to discover that Calibre successfully loaded the selected books (~800) first time, and Kobo even processed them within about ten minutes.

Well done to the Calibre team for producing such a useful product, and thanks to Davidfor for the brilliant utility which allowed me to preserve my bookmarks and read settings.
I think you must have speed read my post David. I loaded firmware version 3.19.5761.

Last edited by touring; 01-30-2016 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:01 AM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think you must have speed read my post David. I loaded firmware version 3.19.5761.
Hmm, I think I missed the second paragraph. I have no idea how.