Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Kindlets - some questions of newbie

Hi!

I want to write a kindlet for better Qt integration to Kindle 3/4/Touch/PW

I have some questions:

1. It it possible and how to make a full-screen kindlet?
2. How and where I can see some kind of log if kindlet throws exceptions?
3 ...

Thanks!
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
Hi!

I want to write a kindlet for better Qt integration to Kindle 3/4/Touch/PW

I have some questions:

1. It it possible and how to make a full-screen kindlet?
2. How and where I can see some kind of log if kindlet throws exceptions?
3 ...

Thanks!
Must it be QT?
We can fix you up with a cross-Kindle models GTK+
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
There is Qt support for earlier kindles. I think Jesse Vincent ported Calibre to run on Qt inside the K3, back in the day. Search his "parallel procrastination" website/blog for details. Or find the old threads here.

That Qt port writes to the framebuffer, as a native mode app.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
"Kindlet" and "QT" are mutually exclusive: Kindlets are pure Java apps, and you won't be able to access QT from within a Kindlet. Conversely, to start a native-mode app, you don't need a Kindlet.

1. No, no full-screen Kindlets.
2. developer/<Kindlet name>/work/crash.log on the usb storage.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Must it be QT?
We can fix you up with a cross-Kindle models GTK+
Thanks! But I'm a Qt-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
"Kindlet" and "QT" are mutually exclusive: Kindlets are pure Java apps, and you won't be able to access QT from within a Kindlet. Conversely, to start a native-mode app, you don't need a Kindlet.

1. No, no full-screen Kindlets.
2. developer/<Kindlet name>/work/crash.log on the usb storage.
ixtab,

Recently we use Qt over framebuffer in K3,K4,KT,KPW. Besides I use Qt over X11 for KT.

But ...

Qt programs are not interact with Kindle shell at all !

1. Qt programs - screen server is not working
2. Qt programs - we need to stop CVM and grab it's input - dirty hack
3. Kindle status bar with time and battery level is not visible
4. We use different Qt builds and different Qt plugins for each Kindle.

I want to write Qt plugins "Qt over kindlet" as I've made for Android.

The idea is:

1. Qt application is started from Kindlet.
2. Kindlet acts as server, Qt application - client
3. Kindlet -> Mouse and keyboard events -> Qt application
4. Qt application -> Bitmaps to draw -> Kindlet

Kindlet and Qt application uses socket for data exchange. For Android I'm going to change socket to shared memory (ashmem) for graphics output because socket is a bit slow. But it is not actual for eink.

It's simple for me to implement plugins for Qt for that but I need also to implement a Kindlet. I need to create the "BufferedImage" but the following code fails due to unknown reason:

BufferedImage img = new BufferedImage(20,20,BufferedImage.TYPE_USHORT_GRAY );

ixtab,

Thanks! Just I've opened crash.log and see error:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown image type 11

Now I need to find legal image type instead of TYPE_USHORT_GRAY.

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 01-08-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Kindle Qt

Do you have any plans to share this work with the community under an Open Source license?

Or are we just helping you to complete a closed source application?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Do you have any plans to share this work with the community under an Open Source license?

Or are we just helping you to complete a closed source application?
Of cause, I plan to share this work.

-------

Thanks, ixtab, knc1, geekmaster!

At last I managed to construct and display image on my KT:

public MyPanel()
{
super();

img = new BufferedImage(100,100,BufferedImage.TYPE_INT_ARGB_ PRE);

Random rnd = new Random();

for ( int x=0; x<100; ++x )
for ( int y=0; y<100; ++y )
//img.setRGB(x, y, rnd.nextInt());
img.setRGB(x, y, (0xFF<<24)|(0x40<<16)|(0x40<<8)|(0x40));
}

public void paint(Graphics g)
{
g.drawRect(10, 10, 100, 100);
g.drawImage(img, 10, 10, null);
}

The next steps are clear... I hope that this java implementation allow me to create threads...

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 01-08-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Cool stuff, looking forward to see your progress on that!
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote