Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #526
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How does one make a full overdrive site into a mobile site via the URL?
From a user perspective:
By entering a diffent URL (see on some of the previous pages what the URLs are).

Fom the developers' perspective:
By having a sniffer figure out what kind of device is being used and redirecting the browser(*) without the user's input, though these days, most web developers have the decency to ask you if you'd like to see the mobile site or the full site. Overdrive never gave you a choice.

(*) They redirect you to either different pages or, these days, more often to the same pages but using a different CSS.

A more modern approach is reflowable or fluid design, where you don't have different versions but, instead, just take for granted that the same site will have a different layout on different screens. I think that's what the new Overdrive site is built like, which, while nice in theory, is attrocious looking on smaller screens the way they built it.

Last edited by xendula; 02-13-2013 at 08:11 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #527
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Really? It was obvious to me when I first looked at the new interface that it was specifically designed to handle tablets and mobile devices.
Interesting, since the new site is less functional on touch screen devices, and much less usable on small screen devices.
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #528
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Changing the numbers is what works for me. Here are the full paths for BPL's sites and you can spot the numbers that need to be changed in order to switch:

http://digitalbooks.brooklynpublicli...-DEA86D0A9816/40/20/en/Default.htm Mobile

http://digitalbooks.brooklynpublicli...-DEA86D0A9816/10/50/en/default.htm Classic
JSWolf - I think the above info is what you are looking for. This is copied from DianNC's post #95 on 12/11/2012.

I tried this a while back when my Sony reader was mistakenly trying to pull up the full site and I needed the mobile site. I use the NC library, so the first part of the URL was different, but the numbers near the end were the same for the NC site as for the Brooklyn site.

The numbers to change are the ones near the end, bolded in DianNC's post - 40/20 vs 10/50

Last edited by 4691mls; 02-13-2013 at 08:59 PM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #529
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just found a major bug in the advanced search of the mobile overdrive site.

The only eBook format available is Open ePub. You cannot search for DRMed ePub or Kindle eBooks.

I checked both the Boston Public Library (not yet running the new non-mobile site) and Philly Free Library. Both came up with the same bug.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #530
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I just found a major bug in the advanced search of the mobile overdrive site.

The only eBook format available is Open ePub. You cannot search for DRMed ePub or Kindle eBooks.

I checked both the Boston Public Library (not yet running the new non-mobile site) and Philly Free Library. Both came up with the same bug.
It's not a bug. It's how it always worked. You have to have Overdrive Media app installed to see DRM epub.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #531
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Interesting, since the new site is less functional on touch screen devices, and much less usable on small screen devices.
I don't mind the new site on my iPad when in landscape mode. I prefer cover views of items although it could be improved. I do mind it on my computer where I would like to have an optional list mode.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #532
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's not a bug. It's how it always worked. You have to have Overdrive Media app installed to see DRM epub.
So how does it work from a T1? I've never browsed an Overdrive library with a T1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #533
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So how does it work from a T1? I've never browsed an Overdrive library with a T1.
Not sure I don't own one but somewhere here does but from Android you have to use Overdrive app to see DRM epub.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #534
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are you asking what formats do you see from the drop-down menu in advanced search? On my T2 the options are "All eBooks, EPUB eBook, PDF eBook, Open PDF eBook". No, I did not type that last item incorrectly before you think it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
The new mobile site looks horrid on my e-ink reader! The book covers take up most of the screen. I'm too depressed to even look at it on my iPhone! Basically you have to know what you are searching for and don't plan to do any browsing for random selections on the go.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #535
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post

The new mobile site looks horrid on my e-ink reader! The book covers take up most of the screen. I'm too depressed to even look at it on my iPhone! Basically you have to know what you are searching for and don't plan to do any browsing for random selections on the go.
It looks pretty good on my Android phone and 5" tablet. For once I can scroll without needing to zoom.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #536
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Are you asking what formats do you see from the drop-down menu in advanced search? On my T2 the options are "All eBooks, EPUB eBook, PDF eBook, Open PDF eBook". No, I did not type that last item incorrectly before you think it...

So far the NC library mobile site has not changed. I sure wish it wouldn't.

RE book types I can see on the T1:

If I click "Browse", it offers the following choices:

Browse all EPUB eBook Titles
Browse all PDF eBook Titles
Browse all Open PDF eBook Titles
Browse all Public Domain eBook Titles

If I go to "Advanced Search", it offers a choice of the following formats:
EPUB eBook
PDF eBook
Open PDF eBook
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #537
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It looks pretty good on my Android phone and 5" tablet. For once I can scroll without needing to zoom.
Scrolling & refreshing images on an eink browser is not much fun!

Well, you gave me the courage to look, but I'm disappointed now. On my iPhone4, you can only see 1 full row of images on the screen (2 book covers per row) and a portion of the second row. Maybe if you had an iPhone5 with the larger screen you could see 2 full rows. I suppose you could only see a limited amount of information in the old format, but at least the title and author were more legible and you could get all the detailed info too in the same space.

Interesting that if I go through the browser on my phone, then I see the new mobile site at my library. However, if I go through "Get Books" within the Overdrive app, then it goes to the old site format.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 AM   #538
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
I don't mind the new site on my iPad when in landscape mode. I prefer cover views of items although it could be improved. I do mind it on my computer where I would like to have an optional list mode.
Maybe that's the difference: I only ever use my iPad in portrait mode.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #539
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

The book covers are crammed together and there's barely any text shown in portrait mode. They are all spaced out in landscape mode (even though you see fewer items). The display is more effective and it looks like that's the main target the designers had in mind when they redid the website format.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #540
Mike@OverDrive
Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.Mike@OverDrive did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Kindle
Hi-

Here's an update on many of the issues you've raised here on Mobile Read. For all the issues that I've marked "evaluating," what this means is that our development team is aware of the request, and they're deciding whether to move forward with the update. The dev team will be making decisions regarding many of these issues during Q2 of this year, if not before. So while I can't make any guarantees as to which changes we'll be making, I can say that we're aware of these issues, and we're taking them into consideration.

Best,

Mike

Status Updates on Previous Requests:

1. Request: Return to old Cart system. JD Gumby, DianNC, silverraven, FizzyWater

Evaluating

2. Request: Bring back list view, both when browsing and in the Wish List. 4691mls, silverraven, Joykins

Evaluating

3. Request: Include more info on initial displays. 4691mls, Blossom, silverraven, Joykins, FizzyWater, sparklemotion, DianNC

Evaluating

4. Request: On Book Detail page, prioritize publisher, pub date, etc. above excerpt, below description. Blossom, FizzyWater

Evaluating

5. Request: Provide option to switch to classic view. xendula, silverraven, others

We have no plans to provide "Classic View" option. Sorry.

6. Request: Reduce size of cover images on Bookshelf. xendula, Blossom, DianNC

Evaluating

New Requests:

7. Request: Enable users to see all available formats, regardless of the device they're using to browse. xendula

Evaluating

8. Request: Share the ratio of Kindle vs. EPUB checkouts. xendula

We will share this data on the OverDrive library blog sometime soon.

9. Request: Fix inconsistencies accessing Next Gen on mobile devices.

We are rolling out updates to the OMC apps that will enable mobile users to access Next Gen sites from the in-app browser (assuming their library has switched to Next Gen).

10. Request: Add "Available Now" to Wishlist filter. FizzyWater, copyrite, Joykins

Evaluating

11. Request: Display pop-up confirmation when user borrows a book from holds page (as with book details page). Blossom

Evaluating

12. Request: Restore ability to see all titles in a series. Joykins, xendula

Evaluating

13. Request: Expand ability to filter Wish List beyond 80 titles

Evaluating

14. Request: By default, do not "remember me on this computer." 4691mls, silverraven, John F

Evaluating

15. Request: After adding title to holds list, don't send user to bookshelf. Blossom, Joykins

Evaluating

16. Request: Flag books that a user has previously checked out. 4691mls

Evaluating

17. Request: On book detail page, include date added to the library (in addition to release date). John F

Evaluating

18. Request: On the holds page, include number of copies available. John F., Asawi

Evaluating

19. Request: When a user transfers book from Wishlist to Hold, title should be removed from Wish List. Chilady1

Evaluating

20. Request: Show lending period limit on details page. davem2bits

Evaluating

21. Request: Add ability to sort by adult books only. PurpleStar

Evaluating

22. Request: Add ability to set "preferred file type" in settings so user doesn't have to select format each time. elemenoP

Evaluating

23. Request: Add all fiction categories to drop-down menu at top. xendula

Evaluating

24. Bug: When user checks out a title, checkout count does not update in pop-up . Blossom

Is this still an issue?

25: Bug: On Brooklyn PL, must click "Borrow" twice before download. Gunnerp245

Is this still an issue?

26. Bug: On Tennessee READS, audiobook sort by date is broken. Blossom

Is this still an issue?

27. Bug: User gets logged off after checking out a book or adding hold. Blossom, FizzyWater

Fixed

28. Bug: Remove from Wish List is not working. Blossom

Is this still an issue?
Mike@OverDrive is offline   Reply With Quote