Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #16
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
None of that excuses them going on a fanart posting spree. That was just insulting, and suggests that they don't really care about anyone who's waiting to sign up.
What they are doing is showing the fans that are signed up that it's business as usual. I know it's no fun to be on the outside of the fence looking in but they can't stop the running of the site for those that are in already.

All that they're doing is keeping it good for those in it doing the testing to perfect it for the rest of us waiting to get in. There's nothing wrong with it or insulting about it. They can't stop the functioning of the site just because it's not open to the rest of us and the wizard duels isn't working right.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Oh and they never said the store was post-poned indefinitely either. They said it would open sometime in the first half of 2012.
the first half of 2012. Might as well be indefinitely. Because by June, they'll announce, it'll be the second half of 2012.

And here I thought I could replace my less-legal versions with the real thing soon...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #18
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
the first half of 2012. Might as well be indefinitely. Because by June, they'll announce, it'll be the second half of 2012.
Ya I know. That's what I thought too when I heard them say that. Technically though it's not indefinite and I am hoping it'll be sooner rather than later. I'm not fool enough to hold my breath though given the inconsistencies and poor product they've put out so far.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #19
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
None of that excuses them going on a fanart posting spree. That was just insulting, and suggests that they don't really care about anyone who's waiting to sign up.
Oh, I completely agree, but then I've thought the whole "you will get the books from OUR website and not your preferred store of choice because otherwise we can't embed our special social DRM and track all you crooks out there" mentality has been insulting from the get-go.

I recognize this is a YMMV thing.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #20
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Somehow I ended up with all Harry Potter books in my Kindle

And now I can't be bothered to buy the official ebooks, since she didn't care enough about her readers in the first place.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #21
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I fail to see the point in the survey. I took it to make sure my voice was heard but it is silly. Either release the e-books or don't. Right now it doesn't matter to me, the only one I feel like I would buy is book 7 because the version I have has formatting issues.

She has been screwing around with this for far too long. It is her right to do so. She owns the rights to the books but she has shown little to no concern for me as a consumer so I am struggling to see why I should care for her rights. All she has really succeeded in doing is honking off a large group of folks who have been waiting patiently for the books to come out as e-books.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #22
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I understood this survey differently. We're all speculating about what's going on so I'd like to explain why I think it is an attempt to provide better service to JKR's readers.

Let's not forget that although JKR owns the copyright she does not have exclusive rights to the work. The publishers invested in editorial services, book design, art work and marketing. We don't know what sort of lawyering JKR confronted trying to go digital. The publishers are aware that their future lies in digital and I'm sure they had something to say about any attempt to publish these books in eBook form.

The DRM scheme proposed was the least obnoxious form. It allows you to move eBooks you buy to a new device without having to depend on the DRM servers of a particular bookseller or having to remember what credit card number you used back when you bought the books. It simply puts your name on the books you buy.

The survey asked where I buy my eBooks. Why would they ask that unless they are trying to decide whether to offer them for sale through normal book dealers. JKR is not a publishing house, she doesn't have a distribution system already set up, so if she wants to sell through a variety of book shops she had to approach them.

The truth is we don't know what's happening with the eBook sales plans or what business problems they are running into. I trust JKR's intentions. That's me of course, but I see no reason to distrust her. If taking a few minutes to provide some answers will help move the process then it's something I want to help with because I'd love to read the whole series again.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #23
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Kind of silly how long I've been waiting around to give these goofs some more money. Eventually, I'm going to get tired of waiting and just forget about replacing my <also> slightly less than legal set with the real deal.

I really don't care about playing at Pottermore. I wouldn't mind buying an eBook set of the books. But if they continue to not want to sell them, then I guess I'll continue to not buy them.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #24
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
The DRM scheme proposed was the least obnoxious form. It allows you to move eBooks you buy to a new device without having to depend on the DRM servers of a particular bookseller or having to remember what credit card number you used back when you bought the books. It simply puts your name on the books you buy.
The least obnoxious form to you. Not to me.

Watermarking books because you think your customers are crooks waiting to happen and forcing them to go through yet another store rather than one that delivers automatically to their reader are hoops that I'm not personally willing to go through.

Again, YMMV.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #25
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
And all this DRM concern is particularly silly, since illegal digital copies of all HP books are ridiculously easy to find. What is it that they're trying to protect here? This kind of intrusive DRM is only going to hurt their sales.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #26
leaker
leaker is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I think they really dropped the ball here by not having books available for sale by Christmas. As more time goes by too, Harry Potter will gradually fade as new fads and characters from other series pop into the limelight.
leaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #27
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't trust JKR's intentions. She has been screwing around with this for ages. She knows that there is a demand for the e-books, otherwise there would not have been all the leaks regarding e-books that were bogus and then the excitement when she said they were coming in October. She knows that it is probably one of the most pirated series on the planet and still continues to drag her feet.

I am sorry, but it would have been very easy to sell the e-books at the existing bookstores as soon as she decided to sell the e-books. I don't know why she choose this path all I know is that her continued delays are annoying to many folks, myself included.

All she has done in increase the number of folks who gave up and downloaded the pirated copies and probably increased the number of folks who are not going to be willing to exchange their pirated copies for legitimate copies.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #28
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I don't know why she choose this path all I know is that her continued delays are annoying to many folks, myself included.
Ego, perhaps?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #29
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
The least obnoxious form to you. Not to me.

Watermarking books because you think your customers are crooks waiting to happen and forcing them to go through yet another store rather than one that delivers automatically to their reader are hoops that I'm not personally willing to go through.

Again, YMMV.
I gotta disagree; all of my PDFs from DriveThruRPG are watermarked and I have no problems with it. Watermarking is the least intrusive and least damaging form of DRM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
What they are doing is showing the fans that are signed up that it's business as usual. I know it's no fun to be on the outside of the fence looking in but they can't stop the running of the site for those that are in already.

All that they're doing is keeping it good for those in it doing the testing to perfect it for the rest of us waiting to get in. There's nothing wrong with it or insulting about it. They can't stop the functioning of the site just because it's not open to the rest of us and the wizard duels isn't working right.
Its not that its "business as usual," or "running of the site." This is the Insider blog. The only window that people on the outside have to what Pottermore might be, IF they get off their butts and open it to the public.

So instead of saying how long it might be or how things are going with getting the servers running, or bugs they've stomped, or talking about the stuff the artists are doing; they go and post some horrible fanarts the beta testers posted, with absolutely no freaking context.

The least they could've done is used it in a demo of the fanart gallery, instead of just randomly posting it.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #30
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
It only hurts THEM. Legal or not, I am sure plenty of people have the ebooks on their readers...

And the whole debacle with the HP SONY T1.... that's just sad.

Way to insult your customers...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote