Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #106
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post
If you look at the OP's previous posts it seems like he is one of the few folks in this forum who honestly does not see why people prefer ebooks over pbooks. That combined with the content of his other threads seems to add credence to the idea that the OP is gathering information rather than sincerely engaging the folks on this forum in dialogue.

That does not mean that my initial hunch that he may be an author engaging in market research is correct, but look at the facts. Why would someone become a member of a forum dedicated to ebooks and ebook readers and then state, unflinchingly, that they do not now nor will they ever own an ebook reader or ebook? Furthermore, why would anyone post threads almost exclusively about book promotion, what people like to read, and why people buy ebooks unless they plan on using that information?

My hunch seems like a logical conclusion to me, but then again who ever said reality had to make sense?
Well, your logic is sound. But if an author is promoting a book..well, even if that book was not in ebook form, why ask a question and then disappear? I agree that it might Make Sense for someone to gather information, but if you aren't publishing an ebook why would you care or potentially market to people who are reading them?

It's very odd. It does feel much more like trollish behavior (just to get a rise or reaction) than anything useful. Shrug.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #107
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Well, your logic is sound. But if an author is promoting a book..well, even if that book was not in ebook form, why ask a question and then disappear? I agree that it might Make Sense for someone to gather information, but if you aren't publishing an ebook why would you care or potentially market to people who are reading them?

It's very odd. It does feel much more like trollish behavior (just to get a rise or reaction) than anything useful. Shrug.
Truer words were never spoken.. he probably has a e-reader and reads it every day and nite..
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #108
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I felt that the OP was NOT dissing ebooks and ereaders, but expressing his preference to shop in physical stores and touch physical books in his quest for new reading material, rather than browsing on-line a la Google. And wondering if other folks miss that experience and regret switching to ebooks.

Did I miss something?
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #109
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyGrumpy View Post
And wondering if other folks miss that experience and regret switching to ebooks.
... and wondering how/why ebook purchasers have tricked themselves into browsing for books in a manner that is clearly inferior to the way book-browsing was ordained to be.

Not to mention making the assumption that buying ebooks somehow automatically excludes a reader from possibly sharing their preference for selecting books.

That's what I got out of it anyway. The title of the thread says it all really. The OP purposely threw a long-tailed cat into a room full of rocking chairs. The only thing we're in the dark about was whether it was out of malice or mischief.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #110
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
... and wondering how/why ebook purchasers have tricked themselves into browsing for books in a manner that is clearly inferior to the way book-browsing was ordained to be.

Not to mention making the assumption that buying ebooks somehow automatically excludes a reader from possibly sharing their preference for selecting books.

That's what I got out of it anyway. The title of the thread says it all really. The OP purposely threw a long-tailed cat into a room full of rocking chairs. The only thing we're in the dark about was whether it was out of malice or mischief.
You should re-read the item since I do not find what you describe. It was a personal opinion about browsing and nothing was said about other people opinions. Instead they were asked for:
Quote:
Why am I still saying this NOW? Precisely because there're so many converts now, I'm wondering: why did you switch to ebooks? Have you forgotten the pleasure of books browsing, or is the e-book experience comparable to that of the old-school experience? Or has convenience displaced experience?
And for me for example convenience have displaced experience. I do not find netbased browsing especially enjoyable.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #111
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You should re-read the item since I do not find what you describe. It was a personal opinion about browsing and nothing was said about other people opinions. Instead they were asked for:
I have re-read it. Several times. And I get the same "when did you stop beating your wife?" vibe from it each and every time I do.

But since neither of us IS the OP (and the OP doesn't think a return visit is necessary), we'll just have to agree to disagree about the tenor of the post, won't we?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-12-2012 at 01:11 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #112
jmorton
Connoisseur
jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
None of the above

Quote:
Originally Posted by uebyn View Post
I'm wondering: why did you switch to ebooks? Have you forgotten the pleasure of books browsing, or is the e-book experience comparable to that of the old-school experience? Or has convenience displaced experience?
I'll think you'll find that nearly everyone here loves books in every form and have (as I do) a home stuffed to the rafters with them. At the same time, I've also owned a Sony Reader and a Kindle (I switched to the Kindle because I was already an Amazon Prime member and that comes with ebook benefits, not because I didn't like my Reader). In other words, I didn't switch to ebooks I added them to my list of sources. I don't see them as mutually exclusive and I don't think anyone else here does either, except, perhaps, you. Here, then, is my answer to your question:

Eyesight
As others have mentioned, when your eyesight gets worse, it's nice to have a way to increase the font size. I have a physical copy of The Once and Future King, but I've never read it because the type is too small for my poor eyes. If I ever do read it, it will most likely be as an ebook. I imagine as I get older, this feature will become more and more important.

Weight
This is actually a big one for me. I commute to work, and part of that commute involves about an hour-and-a-half of walking every day. When I was carrying around the latest hardback, I usually arrived at home with a bad backache that only got worse as the week progressed. I got my first ereader because I wanted to read a particular 1,200 page book that I knew I couldn't read on my commute without severe pain. For this same reason, I often choose paperbacks, which, you might recall were equally scorned at one time. This is also the reason I don't read with an iPad. Every ounce matters.

Discovery
The truth is, I'm actually reading more classic literature than I ever did back when I was buying my own books. In the old days, I'd see some classic I'd always wanted to read in a bookstore, and think "I've got to read that someday," and then I'd go purchase the latest novel. With ebooks,—and especially thanks to mobileread's great selection—I have now read many of the books that I told myself for many years that I would someday read; books by Orwell, Wells, and Eliot. I also find myself reading books that are available on Amazon Prime that I almost definitely would not have ever purchased in a bookstore, and some of these have been excellent.

Language Studies
I doubt that this reason pertains to many people here, but I study German, and the mobileread forums have lots of German-language books for me to choose from. Plus, many of these are also available in English, which lets me compare texts. Aside from the occasional dual-language book, this can be very difficult to accomplish in a bookstore. I've actually translated a book by Frank Wedekind, which I plan to upload here at some point.

I still love perusing bookstore shelves (I plan to do a bit of that later today), and I still buy books. But I do love my ebook reader, and I am glad to see yet another way for people to read. In the end, that is more important than the delivery mechanism.
jmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #113
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton View Post
Language Studies
I doubt that this reason pertains to many people here, but I study German, and the mobileread forums have lots of German-language books for me to choose from. Plus, many of these are also available in English, which lets me compare texts. Aside from the occasional dual-language book, this can be very difficult to accomplish in a bookstore. I've actually translated a book by Frank Wedekind, which I plan to upload here at some point.

I still love perusing bookstore shelves (I plan to do a bit of that later today), and I still buy books. But I do love my ebook reader, and I am glad to see yet another way for people to read. In the end, that is more important than the delivery mechanism.
Always love to see a reference to translations because I think it's highly underutilized in ebooks (and probably not even well-known about when it is available.) Do get it uploaded and consider selling it various places--with the original and translation in one ebook (I have two translations and really wish I had included the English with the one that is in Greek. The second time I did it, I made sure both the English and Spanish were in one volume.) I think it's a valuable resource that can only grow as people FIND that kind of thing. I wish when I was growing up there had been MORE books that included both. It's a great way to learn and now that there isn't a "page count" issue, I think some neat things can be done with it.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #114
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton View Post

The Once and Future King ...If I ever do read it, it will most likely be as an ebook.
Go for it! It's a wonderful book!
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #115
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
To be fair to the OP, if they were trolling, then I wish we had more trolls like them. It's generated a fair bit of discussion and opinions on the topic and their stance is perfectly valid even though it's odd to sign up to a forum about mobile reading and not want to have anything to do with mobile reading

Still, if it generates some discussion outside the usual drm/patent/piracy topics we get, bring on the trolls I say Plus you can't beat a conspiracy theory whether true or not, it's fun :P

edit: Quoted an unrelated post instead of just replying

Last edited by JoeD; 10-12-2012 at 06:12 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:57 AM   #116
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Visited a "real" bookstore again today, it has been quite a while. I felt like I was in a time machine, going back 50 years or so. All those useless paper thingies, all that wasted space! Just imagine having to carry a bunch of those heavy things home? Well I just couldn't wait to get back to my Kindle.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #117
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I'm currently reading Homicide by David Simon (inspiration for the TV show The Wire) and man what a brick that pbook is! Totally uncomfortable to read in bed. Makes me wish I had the ebook version.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #118
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Visited a "real" bookstore again today, it has been quite a while. I felt like I was in a time machine, going back 50 years or so. All those useless paper thingies, all that wasted space! Just imagine having to carry a bunch of those heavy things home? Well I just couldn't wait to get back to my Kindle.
Yes, ebooks are not books. But they are highly efficient at transferring information between minds

The funny thing is, I doubt anyone was saying these things about the differences between papyrus and hardened clay.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #119
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I have several ereaders. I still like to look in bookstores, although I buy very few paper books. I take note of what books are interesting and then I buy them from my ereader. Best of both worlds.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #120
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I re-read the original poster's message. Why would you ignore recommendations from others? Some of the BEST books I have ever read were recommended by other people, some outside of my usual genres as well. I would NEVER have read a western if someone didn't insist that I read this Zane Grey novel he had just finished.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote