Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #16
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Not sure what would cause the problem for OP but I convert my books to epub with Calibre and use the settings it was defaulted to and never have a single hyphenated word. The epubs I have downloaded and not converted also have no hyphenated words.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #17
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
Not sure what would cause the problem for OP but I convert my books to epub with Calibre and use the settings it was defaulted to and never have a single hyphenated word. The epubs I have downloaded and not converted also have no hyphenated words.
Have you upgraded to version 1.2?
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #18
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Have you upgraded to version 1.2?
Yep sure did.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #19
belden
Enthusiast
belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
Thank you for your experience. I mentioned in my original post that I run every single EPUB through conversion with Calibre before sending them to the NC. This is because I want to standardize font sizes, set full justification, and make sure they don't have inch wide margins that cram the text into a three-inch box in the middle of the screen so I am not using the default settings.

You mentioned that you did not have any hyphenated words on an EPUB you downloaded but did not convert, was this from the B&N store or an outside source? The screenshot I posted earlier was from a book I downloaded from B&N and had the publisher's defaults set on for, so it was a completely untouched book exactly the way it was meant to be seen and it had hyphenation. I ask because the "body" code that was posted earlier fixes the problem I had when added to an EPUB file, but manually inserting that line into all the books in my library will be a pain and if there is something that could make it easier I'd love to know.
belden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #20
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I would recommend that you stop using full justification (use left) when you do the initial conversion in Calibre. You probably won't get the hyphenation and you won't have to add any code, but just change the Calibre settings maybe just the one time (I think it retains settings between uses).
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #21
Ziflin
Ziflin began at the beginning.

Device: nook Color
Okay, I read this post thinking that there was a bit of exaggeration and then I started reading Dracula from BN just to see how bad it was. There are between 5-10 lines hyphenated on some pages. This is like 30-40% of the lines. Some pages have 4 hyphenated lines in a row which is pretty distracting.

The worst is the number of proper nouns (peoples names mostly) that it decides to stick hyphens in. "Ed-mund" for instance.. Obviously it's still possible to read the books, but this is a bit much. Does anyone have a way to turn this off without modification of the epub file (which for DRM'd books is an issue)?
Ziflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #22
ncguy68
Enthusiast
ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet, Asus TF300, Nexus 7
I agree, the number of hypens is very distracting. This update makes reading on the Nook Classic more enjoyable. Under the Reader options (where they have the ability to turn off the page turn animation) they need to add an option to turn off hypens. Having to edit the EPUB file is a royal pain in the ....
ncguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #23
ncguy68
Enthusiast
ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet, Asus TF300, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I would recommend that you stop using full justification (use left) when you do the initial conversion in Calibre. You probably won't get the hyphenation and you won't have to add any code, but just change the Calibre settings maybe just the one time (I think it retains settings between uses).

Left justification makes no difference at all. :-( I tired it on several books last night.
ncguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #24
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy68 View Post
Left justification makes no difference at all. :-( I tired it on several books last night.
That's too bad. Oh well, worth a try I guess.

I just compared Dracula on the color nook vs the same book on the classic nook. It was hard to get the fonts and size and margins to be even close to similar, but the classic has NO hyphenation - instead it seems to arrange the words on the line in a pretty spaced-out fashion. The color nook seems to try to pack as many words onto a line as it possibly can, which will definely cause more hyphens.

I don't find the hyphens all that bothersome, but it does seem they overdid it! We need an option.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #25
danrodney
All Around Nice Guy
danrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, Nook 1st Gen, Nook Color
Jim Lester, where did you find the documentation for adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed? I'd love to learn more about this and other adobe settings.

Also, I would like to disable hyphenation on the NookColor on selected elements, such as h1 tags, but keep the hyphenation on p tags. Any idea what code would work for that? The adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed doesn't work.
danrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrodney View Post
Jim Lester, where did you find the documentation for adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed? I'd love to learn more about this and other adobe settings.
He works for Adobe.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:51 AM   #27
danrodney
All Around Nice Guy
danrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, Nook 1st Gen, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
He works for Adobe.
Ah, well maybe he knows where this is all documented then! Or if it's not documented, then consider this a request
danrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #28
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
He works for Adobe.
He worked for Adobe. The tense matters
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
1.2 included an update to RMSDK 9.2 which improves the typography by including (among a lot of other things) a hyphenation engine. If for your epubs you don't want the hyphenation engine (and the better typography, etc...), you can force RMSDK 9.2 to use the 'old' 9.1 text engine by adding adding the css attribute 'adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;' to a body selector ie
Code:
body {
    ... other attributes ...
   adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;
}
Do you happen to know if Sony will update ADE to use RMSDK 9.2 so we can have hypens or are we stuck without?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #30
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
This property is better suited for hyphenation control:

adobe-hyphenate: none | explicit | auto

You should be able to set it on individual spans if you want to disable hyphenation. adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed works (only on paragraph), but it uses lower quality typography and it is not recommended.
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote