Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
A search question

Hi Kovid. I need some help setting up a search. I have several tags I use (among other tags for other purposes) for genre. For example, Genre: Mystery and Genre: Romance. What I want to do is add a 'general fiction' tag for novels that do not fit into another category. Is it possible to do a search for books which do not have any genre tag? They will have other tags such as source or format so I am not sure how to use the sort here. I want to get a list of every book which does not have one of the other genre tags applied, irrespective of what else it may be tagged about...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Hi Kovid. I need some help setting up a search. I have several tags I use (among other tags for other purposes) for genre. For example, Genre: Mystery and Genre: Romance. What I want to do is add a 'general fiction' tag for novels that do not fit into another category. Is it possible to do a search for books which do not have any genre tag? They will have other tags such as source or format so I am not sure how to use the sort here. I want to get a list of every book which does not have one of the other genre tags applied, irrespective of what else it may be tagged about...
If your tags are "Genre: Mystery" and "Genre: Romance" then try this:
"not tag:genre"

If your tags are "Mystery" and "Romance" then try this:

"not (tag:mystery or tag:romance ....)"
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, they are all Genre: Mystery etc. I do this so my tags will sort alphabetically in the list with all the genre tags together, all the format tags together etc.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Yes, they are all Genre: Mystery etc. I do this so my tags will sort alphabetically in the list with all the genre tags together, all the format tags together etc.
That makes it much easier. "not tag:genre" should find what you want. Then highlight all and add your 'general fiction' tag.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
ficbot
Wizard

Thank you!
Advert