Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
New Jointech JE-100 - hints and tips please

I ordered the JE-100 last week and can't wait to get my hands on it. I've never dealt with a WINCE device and could use your advise and suggestions about what to do to get everything updated, loaded and ready to go.

Sorry if my questions are stupid but I really don't know about WinCE!

Do I need to update the firmware? What is the latest version the JE-100 supports?

What programs or apps should I consider adding and are there are special instructions I need to follow? I do have the links for the following:
Comic Book Reader for WinCE
Alreader Backgrounds
Mobipocket eBook Reader - v5.3.582
AlReader eBook Reader - v2.0

Active sync - is it now working and do I need to do anything?

SD card - which ones work and where can I buy one? I was confused by the discussion in another thread and am not sure what works and what doesn't.

Any tweaks or customizing I should consider?

Any other advise you can give would be great.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Wow, I ordered my reader on January 25 and it arrived today (January 29) via DHL. That was quick!

I'm feeling my way around the device but it's a bit foreign to me since I've only used e-ink and old style readers in the past. Seems whenever I post I can hear crickets chirping shortly thereafter. Sorry if I always ask silly questions.
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
Wow, I ordered my reader on January 25 and it arrived today (January 29) via DHL. That was quick!

I'm feeling my way around the device but it's a bit foreign to me since I've only used e-ink and old style readers in the past. Seems whenever I post I can hear crickets chirping shortly thereafter. Sorry if I always ask silly questions.
You don't ask silly questions.
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
Do I need to update the firmware? What is the latest version the JE-100 supports?

What programs or apps should I consider adding and are there are special instructions I need to follow? I do have the links for the following:
Comic Book Reader for WinCE
Alreader Backgrounds
Mobipocket eBook Reader - v5.3.582
AlReader eBook Reader - v2.0

Active sync - is it now working and do I need to do anything?

SD card - which ones work and where can I buy one? I was confused by the discussion in another thread and am not sure what works and what doesn't.

Any tweaks or customizing I should consider?

Any other advise you can give would be great.
There are no firmware updates as far I know.

To install programs just put the .cab files on the memory card and double click to install. If possible i install all mine to the memory card.

Active sync works. I don't use it if I have the cab file other than that I haven't found Active Sync useful.

As far as memory cards the JE100 only accepts up to the 2gb micro SD cards.

For tweaks the the only thing I have added is different backgrounds.

I hope this helps and if I think of anything else I will post again.

Ellen

Last edited by imaredr; 01-30-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
babo
babo began at the beginning.

Device: je100
sdhc for je100

I posted today how to Give to your JE100 sdhc capability!!! and use it with even 16gb sd card!

Look at my post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...567#post764567
babo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Katelyn
Addict

Thanks, the info helped a lot.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
Katelyn
Addict

Text in blue was added today

First, my experience with Jointech then some questions...

I got my reader just over a week ago and decided it wasn't what I wanted. I've spent the last week emailing daily trying to get someone at Sales4online (owned by Jointech) to approve the return. Seven days seems like a long time to go without any kind of response. Per the sales person, someone has been sending me emails but I haven't gotten anything - yes checked spam, junk, etc. I don't have anything from anyone.

From their Website: You may return or exchange items purchased However, no returns will be accepted without a prior return authorization, which may be given to you via email. There is also a restocking fee of 15% or 25%, depending on the condition of the device. It's brand, spanking new but I speculate they would sock me for the larger fee. That would be $62.50 plus the cost of shipping to Hong Kong. They don't charge 15% or 25% - they charge 15% AND 25% for a total of 40% to return the device. And they say the reader is really $200, not $250. So the refund would be 60% of $200 or $120.

I finally got a one sentence reply this morning. The reply read, "I hope you have got the reply and have already sent the unit back. That once we get we refund you. " Of course I haven't sent it back! No one has given authorization - or acknowledged my emails! Funny, this reply came 12 hours after my last email advising them that on Monday I would start posting at various Websites about their lack of response.

Lesson learned - I don't feel comfortable buying from a company I can't contact in a more direct way. I guess I'll keep my device because I it's better than losing the money AND the reader. I don't think that one sentence email was an official authorization and it takes too much work to get them to reply! I have no confidence that I would ever get a refund if I sent back the reader. Hopefully, this is a fluke and others don't have this experience. So now I know (or they say) they replied to emails. I still think their restocking fee is crazy but they can charge whatever they want. I just wish it was spelled out on their site - that they charge BOTH fees mentioned not either/or.

Now, on to my questions.

Still looking for answers to the questions in bold, and as always, thanks for your help.

1) Is there a way to Windows in landscape mode or do I have to manually rotate it every time I reboot? I haven't found a way to set this.

2) I keep deleting most of the default shortcuts on the desktop but when I reboot, they are all back. How do I remove them permanently?

3) I have tried several versions of Alreader2 but everything is half Russian or full of odd characters. Yes, I tried the file in Coldsun's review thread. What am I missing?

4) When I test Alreader while I have the USB connected to the reader, it puts my laptop in sleep mode. Is this normal?

5) Is there a way to use folder with Mobireader? If not, are their any other programs that support folders? I use Calibre so can convert to any format but most file I currently have are ePub or Mobi.

6) My battery only charge to 90%. I'm guessing it should go to 100% so does anyone else have this issue?

7) Larger capacity micro card - I added the files to allow for higher capacity micro cards but with all te back and forth, I'm confused. If I want to pick up a 4 or 8 GB micro card, I can use a micro SDHC as long as I format it as FAT and not FAT32? Does the class matter - as in class 4?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited by Katelyn; 02-07-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
This is a direct link to the newest all english build of Alreader2. I'm not sure about your shortcut issue offhand. As for the rotation, put a shortcut to your rotation utility in the startup folder - there's no way to permanently rotate it but that will automate the process.

4 - I don't even know how that would be possible.
5 - dunno
6 - If it tops out at 90% then that's the new 100%. Your battery meter is probably miscalibrated, dunno how to fix that.
7 - In that thread he says up to 16gb cards work so I suspect FAT32 would be required. FAT16's max partition size is something like 2gb
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
Katelyn
Addict

Anyone else have suggestions for the questions in bold 2 posts up?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Mobipocket doesn't support folders. You can put the books in folders all you want, it will show them all in one big list. It doesn't matter what version you use, desktop, or mobile, none will support folders.

ureader (I believe the name was), does support folders. but I don't like the application as you must pay for it, and I never got the highlighting to work. I've not tried any other reader application, as I like the ease of use of the highlighting of Mobipocket and I've not found any reader which does that (easily).

The other question, if you know the answer, I'd love to know it as well (though, I almost never reset my device, so it's not that urgent).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #11
StevenK
Enthusiast
StevenK began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
My battery indicator also only goes up to 90%. I guess 90% means it's fully charged.

Sorry that you are not happy with the JE100, Katelyn. I really love mine. You have to fiddle with it to get it to function the way that you want. What about it don't you like?

I'm looking into a solution to the default desktop shortcuts.

The Haali Reader supports folders in the library. It only reads books in the FB2 format or text. It's a pretty good reader, though.
StevenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
Katelyn
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenK View Post
My battery indicator also only goes up to 90%. I guess 90% means it's fully charged.

Sorry that you are not happy with the JE100, Katelyn. I really love mine. You have to fiddle with it to get it to function the way that you want. What about it don't you like?

I'm looking into a solution to the default desktop shortcuts.

The Haali Reader supports folders in the library. It only reads books in the FB2 format or text. It's a pretty good reader, though.
1) Double-click settings don't seem to stick. I have calibrated and recalibrate the device on the Jointech side and and it doesn't help. I have also gone into the control panel on the Windows side and gone into the Stylus settings and reset the settings there as well. The settings seems to hold for a short time and then I'm back to trying fast, slow, in-between to get anything to open. When I watch the little movie clap board (Stylus settings) it works as I'm tapping then it stops and I have to change my speed - then it works and then stops. It's very, very frustrating.

2) I can't delete the desktop shortcuts much to my consternation.

3) Restore throws a fatal error. This has been an issue from the day I got it. I wanted to try the restore to see if I could correct the shortcut issue.

Otherwise, I do like the device for reading which is all I want it for. I just shouldn't have these issues on a brand new device.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
imaredr
Collector

Here's an answer for #2 Deleting Desktop icons.
Open My Computer
Open Windows Folder
Open Desktop Folder
Find the Shortcut that you want to delete and select it
you can right click and select delete or after selecting go to File and selete delete.

It will probably ask if you are sure so then click okay.

When you restart the icon should be gone. I have never tried it. I that doesn't work then I am thinking that you would have to edit the registry. I am curious though. Why do you want to delete the desktop icons? I didn't think there were that many.

Ellen

Last edited by imaredr; 02-08-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 02-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
Katelyn
Addict

Ellen, I tried your suggestion and it didn't work. After reboot the icons are back. I actually tried that last week but I wanted to make sure I didn't have my tongue out or hold my mouth wrong.

I have the following shortcuts on the desktop that I'd like to remove. I like a nice, clean desktop with only the shortcuts to apps I use all the time and if I need any of these apps, I would open them manually. It's more the principle - I should be able to remove these!

Word Viewer
Word
Excel Viewer
Image Viewer
Media Player
PDF Viewer
Powerpoint Viewer
Old 02-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your feedback about the JE-100 and the company. I was seriously considering the JE-200, but if they really charge 40% restocking fee, that is a no-go. You potentially saved me a lot of trouble, thanks!
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote