Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #1126
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehdivinci View Post
Hi Every One!
I want to buy a reader for my studies!
and because almost all my files are PDFs (of course scanned book and..) I want a large ereader!
I research a lot , and I came to Onyx Boox m92!
I found this device as the best ebook reader right now!
but I want your idea about that!
what do you think is the best?
buy M92?
waite for more new devise , like jetbook color?
enyone have eny news about that??
OR
I completely forgot large ebook reader and get an Ipad2??
Please help me!
thanks

If you need it for mostly reading and some not so usable annotations, you are probably well served with the M92 - and if you are not bothered by products of a small company.
Otherwise, for serious work there is no alternative to a tablet - or waiting...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #1127
mehdivinci
mehdivinci began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
What's your budget?
Do you want to spend $200 or $600?
large screen ereaders are also expensive.
for example , kindle Dx=379$ , Onyx M92=430$ &...
so I want it under 500 $ , and I want to be perfect for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't know... but that new JetBook color reader looks pretty nice.

Although for $500 I would probably get an iPad. But, I expect the prices to come down on this size/tech reader in the next few years. The original Kindle was $399... now you can buy one (4 years later) for $80.

BOb
I think the same way , but new jetbook isn't be tested enough to be sure from it performance and it is a new device.
I must buy the devise for 1-2 month , and I want that it will perfect for reading (and of course annotations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
If you need it for mostly reading and some not so usable annotations, you are probably well served with the M92 - and if you are not bothered by products of a small company.
Otherwise, for serious work there is no alternative to a tablet - or waiting...
what do you mean by "not so usable annotations"??
I just want a devise that it will perfect for reading (and of course annotations). Is that really so much????????????????????
mehdivinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #1128
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehdivinci View Post
what do you mean by "not so usable annotations"??
I just want a devise that it will perfect for reading (and of course annotations). Is that really so much????????????????????
It is ok for reading, but you can use the annotations only on the reader(comparing the options to what is possible on other OSses it is plain lousy) - you cannot export them(storing on the PDF file seems to be possible though).
Old 02-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #1129
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Does 4.0 support Cisco AnyConnect VPN access with group passwords yet?

BOb
Doesn't seem so.
All I find:
L2TP/IPSec PSK
L2TP/IPSec RSA
IPSec Xauth PSK
IPSec Xauth RSA
IPSec Hybrid RSA
At first glimpse, I don't see any changes to Honeycomb.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #1130
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Doesn't seem so.
All I find:
L2TP/IPSec PSK
L2TP/IPSec RSA
IPSec Xauth PSK
IPSec Xauth RSA
IPSec Hybrid RSA
At first glimpse, I don't see any changes to Honeycomb.
Amazing. iPad/iPod/Mac support Cisco VPN's out of the box.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #1131
IbnSaeed
IbnSaeed began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello mgmueller

Thanks for this thread.

I have a question.

Which reader would display Arabic Text with any font distortions at font size change ?
IbnSaeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #1132
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbnSaeed View Post
Hello mgmueller

Thanks for this thread.

I have a question.

Which reader would display Arabic Text with any font distortions at font size change ?
Hello,
sorry, I don't have any personal experience here.
I've read, PocketBook is said to be great in handling fonts/languages.
And I'd imagine, Kindle (being international and such) should be able to handle your demands as well.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-08-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #1133
mgmueller
Member Retired

Kobo touch

I've bought Kobo touch yesterday in German "Saturn" market.
I've used tablets for quite some tome now, mainly my favorite: BlackBerry PlayBook.
But for reading only, I still find tablets kind of "overkill": Too heavy, battery life too limited.
So I've gone back to one of my favorite dedicated readers: Kindle DX Graphite.
I still love it, especially the Kindle bookstore. But I'm not too fond of the page turning buttons.
So, when seeing Kobo touch, I spontaneously went for it.
Because of BlackBerry PlayBook (only "professional" reading app in the BlackBerry market is Kobo), I already had bought some 200 eBooks from Kobo.

I had to install the Kobo software to activate it and download my original Kobo books. I really hate this. Much more conveniently solved on Kindle for example.
But now, after having transferred my initial library, it's actually a nice reading experience. I wouldn't use Kobo touch as my sole reader. But it's a great addition to Kindle DX Graphite.

I'd be interested in the Kindle touch as well, but they (for whatever reason) don't deliver to Germany. For now, Kindle touch isn't interesting enough for me, to go through the hassle of ordering from 3rd party.

Basically: I guess I'm kind of switching back to dedicated readers. Still love my tablets, though, of course.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-27-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:54 AM   #1134
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
I'd be interested in the Kindle touch as well, but they (for whatever reason) don't deliver to Germany. For now, Kindle touch isn't interesting enough for me, to go through the hassle of ordering from 3rd party.

Basically: I guess I'm kind of switching back to dedicated readers. Still love my tablets, though, of course.

As far as I know Mexxbooks(German Bookclub) can get the Kindle Touch for you.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:25 AM   #1135
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
ll, but they (for whatever reason) don't deliver to Germany. For now, Kindle touch isn't interesting enough for me, to go through the hassle of ordering from 3rd party.
Hmm, they do say they are now shipping internationally... Probably because Amazon.de has its own Kindle store, they won't ship there... (as they won't ship it to France and Luxembourg either, but do ship to the Netherlands and Belgium)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #1136
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hmm, they do say they are now shipping internationally... Probably because Amazon.de has its own Kindle store, they won't ship there... (as they won't ship it to France and Luxembourg either, but do ship to the Netherlands and Belgium)
It's a bit strange.
I've tried Nigeria and some other countries just to compare.
All of those countries would be possible, but for Germany I can't go on in the ordering process.
So the reason seems to be Amazon Germany. Still strange: Why not sell internationally and switch to Amazon Germany, as soon as they're ready? Else they simply risk loosing some business.

Anyway...
I can't order from Amazon.com to a German shipping address.
I could use the usual shipping services, but I'm not that interested.
If I find a source for Germany, I'll probably go for it...

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-28-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:44 AM   #1137
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Just checked their website.
They really seem to deliver Kindle touch and Kindle touch 3G.

Thanks a lot for the tip!

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-28-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #1138
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I've just ordered the Kindle touch 3G from them.
€ 149 = as usual, the original price in $ 1:1 converted to €.
It's the "special offer". Meaning: They send a newsletter onto the kindle once per week. I'm not a fan of such programs, but I hope it's not too annoying...

Thanks again for the tip!
Old 02-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #1139
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Sorry mgmueller,
I think that Kindle DXG sports the most outdated firmware between the 9,7" devices on the market at present.
I don't get how can you be so happy with it: it has no reflow! It means no pdf with complex layout, because you just can't really use that kind of zoom.
And it's so slow when you load files of 400-500 pages, even if not bigger than 50 MB. Takes up to 5-6 seconds to turn a page.

I find it incredible that it's still full-priced!

Did you ever try Pocketbooks (902, 3, 12), Boox m91/92, enTourage edge (rip)?

Last edited by lorenzoens; 02-29-2012 at 04:56 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #1140
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
No one would reasonably suggest that the DXG is a good reader for complex, multi-column PDF files. However, it is my favorite for books. When my Irex's screen developed problems I saw no way to go back to a 6" screen, so I got a DXG for $259.-. Well worth the price for me. I do think they won't find many takers at 379.-.

Anyway, there is no "good reader" for PDFs on the market right now (unless you are ok with LCD screens).
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test