Notices

Old 09-04-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
Ryder35
Ryder35 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Guide to Getting Ebooks

Hi all,

1st post so hello!

Just got my reader in the UK and am a little dissapointed in the content available via Waterstones.

I read a lot about other stores that you can buy from but is there a guide that can help me get my head around the choices of shops, the formats, how to get them onto my reader etc?

As you can tell I am a complete newb at this and was hoping to just go to waterstones online and buy my fave books at a reasonable price. I am mainly into fantasy books if that makes a difference wrt stores that are best.

Thanks for any help!

Regards
John
Ryder35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
See Sony Reader book sources beyond CONNECT
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
Ryder35

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Great thanks for that, I had a look at Fictionwise but am unsure about formats. I was looking at a Steven King book that stated the following formats

eReader (recommended)/Mobipocket/Microsoft Reader]

I assume getting this onto the reader is not a trivial process. Will I have to strip the DRM then convert it?

Regards
John
Old 09-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Basically, yes, the easiest way is to buy the Microsoft Reader format, remove the drm then convert it to LRF using calibre. It's how I get most of my books for my (now ex) prs-500.

Anyway, I just sold my 500 so I could justify getting a 505, just waiting for it now
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Ryder35

Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
Basically, yes, the easiest way is to buy the Microsoft Reader format, remove the drm then convert it to LRF using calibre. It's how I get most of my books for my (now ex) prs-500.

Anyway, I just sold my 500 so I could justify getting a 505, just waiting for it now
OK, looking further I notice a number of books in Adobe 7 format, is this usable on the sony and is it the same as the adobede format?

Thanks!
Advert
Old 09-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
Unless your on a Mac and can't buy/download LIT files. In that case Mobipocket and mobidedrm works just as well. I wonder why it wasn't called ConvertMOBI?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder35 View Post
eReader (recommended)/Mobipocket/Microsoft Reader]

I assume getting this onto the reader is not a trivial process.
It actually is fairly trivial given the right software.

Quote:
Will I have to strip the DRM then convert it?
Exactly, if you are on a Windows machine google for ConvertLIT and then search this forum for it. You will find lots of info to get you going.

BOb
Old 09-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
Ryder35

Right, just to get this straight then, I need to use the Explosion option in CenvertLit? and then convert the lit to lrf in Calibre?
Old 09-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Right, just to get this straight then, I need to use the Explosion option in CenvertLit? and then convert the lit to lrf in Calibre?
Search Google for the ConvertLIT GUI and it will help!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I use the downconvert option. Then load it into calibre and convert to lorf.

BOb
Old 09-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #11
Ryder35

Thanks for the help everyone. Got a couple of books on the 505 now, converted from lit format and using convertlit and calibre!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
andyj
UK Outlander
andyj began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs500
At last Sony arrives in UK.
Any one know if I will be able to download ebooks from Waterstones for use on US Sony e-reader prs 500. Do I have to file convert. Tried linking up prs500 to computer and Adode digital editions software but do the two do not talk?
Help anyone.
andyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj View Post
At last Sony arrives in UK.
Any one know if I will be able to download ebooks from Waterstones for use on US Sony e-reader prs 500. Do I have to file convert. Tried linking up prs500 to computer and Adode digital editions software but do the two do not talk?
Help anyone.
You won't be able to use ePub files on your PRS-500 and since they're DRM protected, you can't convert them to LRF either.

LIT is probably the best solution for your case.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj View Post
Any one know if I will be able to download ebooks from Waterstones for use on US Sony e-reader prs 500.
Adobe DE is required for Waterstones ebooks and is not available for the PRS-500. It probably won't help from the UK, but see No ePub for PRS-500, but Sony offers $100 trade-in credit to upgraders.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
OK, looking further I notice a number of books in Adobe 7 format, is this usable on the sony and is it the same as the adobede format?

Thanks!
Adobe 7 format is DRM laden PDF. Do yourself a favor and stay far away from it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote