Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-01-2015, 01:43 AM   #31
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Re-enable LeanAndMean touch gestures

This firmware has a new LeanAndMean feature setting enabled by default, which provides some faster code or shortcuts for certain screen refresh, networking, and touch gesture functions.

But unfortunately the LeanAndMean screen refresh code causes ghosting problems on the older Pearl devices, noticable when using the menus, panning, and highlighting.

The LeanAndMean feature can be disabled by adding LeanAndMean=false to the [FeatureSettings] section of the configuration file, which fixes most of the ghosting problems. However this also disables the LeanAndMean touch gestures.

So for those who have disabled LeanAndMean for ghosting reasons, this patch attempts re-enable just the LeanAndMean touch gestures. (Paste into libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch):
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Re-enable LeanAndMean touch gestures`
patch_enable = `yes`
replace_bytes = 6ADBA4, 7C F5 E8 EF, 01 20 01 20
</Patch>
It is hard to say if this makes much of a difference, but then I didn't notice any problems with the touchscreen response before LeanAndMean, so maybe others will feel the effects more.

Last edited by GeoffR; 05-01-2015 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Paste into libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:34 AM   #32
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I have a question, I want a fixed top margin, but something like 10px, not 25px. How should I set this:

# Optional replacement value: Uncomment for a FIXED TOP MARGIN size in px,
# default 25px. Replacement value is margin size, two digits separated by \0
# (Leave commented out for an adjustable top margin.)
replace_string = B82BBE, `%\01`, `2\05`

1\00 ?
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #33
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
I have a question, I want a fixed top margin, but something like 10px, not 25px. How should I set this:

# Optional replacement value: Uncomment for a FIXED TOP MARGIN size in px,
# default 25px. Replacement value is margin size, two digits separated by \0
# (Leave commented out for an adjustable top margin.)
replace_string = B82BBE, `%\01`, `2\05`

1\00 ?
Yes, as in:
Code:
replace_string = B82BBE, `%\01`, `1\00`
The thing is that for epubs in normal reading mode there is a built-in 15px top margin, but no built-in margin in full-screen mode. So if you set a fixed top margin of 10px you will get 25px in normal mode and 10px in full-screen mode.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #34
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Thanks.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:06 PM   #35
eatthedishes
eatthedishes is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.eatthedishes is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.eatthedishes is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.eatthedishes is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.eatthedishes is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.eatthedishes is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.eatthedishes is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.eatthedishes is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.eatthedishes is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.eatthedishes is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.eatthedishes is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Thanks, GeoffR, for the help with the `ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins`. It works perfectly.
eatthedishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2015, 05:24 AM   #36
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The CSS for the footer changed significantly in version 3.13.1, and padding no longer works for some reason. I don't fully understand how the footer works, the existing patch was created mainly by trial and error. Margin-top and margin-bottom still work, but a too-large positive margin-bottom results in a cut-off footer, while a too-large negative margin-top dosn't seem to have that problem, and I think you can achieve any size and position of footer by changing just the min/max-height and margin-top.

You can change the font-family by adding the following two lines to the end of the patch. Don't edit the first line, but you can change the font name in the second line, and unlike other replacement strings in the patch it is okay to change the length of this one:
Code:
replace_string = 00D7, `#caption[qApp_localeName="ja_JP"] {`, `#caption                          {`
replace_string = 00F9, `{font-family: Sans-SerifJP;}`, `{font-family: Avenir;}`
However be warned there might be some funny results if you use any font other than Georgia or Avenir.
When I add these 2 lines to the patch, I get an error and the batch file stops at that point. I've tried adding it to the "Custom reading footer style" and to the "Custom footer" sections with the same result. I haven't changed anything in those 2 lines since I want the Avenir font. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong or placing it in the wrong spot maybe?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:28 AM   #37
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
When I add these 2 lines to the patch, I get an error and the batch file stops at that point. I've tried adding it to the "Custom reading footer style" and to the "Custom footer" sections with the same result. I haven't changed anything in those 2 lines since I want the Avenir font. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong or placing it in the wrong spot maybe?
I didn't tried it, but the first line ended with {` I think it must be }' ?
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:29 AM   #38
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've tried }` and ;}` in place of the {` and keep getting type mismatched for the first line.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:11 AM   #39
erikssenmar867
Connoisseur
erikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Dear GeoffR, although there is no chess, i'm able to play it as a shortcut is on my homescreen (if i create a tile before the upgrade).
Do you think it is possible to re-activate the game in beta features menu by a patch? Thanks
erikssenmar867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #40
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I haven't installed this patch but I don't get any errors when running the batch file with these 2 new lines added.

Just to be precise, I placed them in the section
Code:
patch_name = `Custom reading footer style`
immediately before the end line
Code:
</Patch>
The first of the 2 additional lines contains a lot of spaces. Did you make sure you copied all of it, to the
Code:
{`
characters at the end of line 1?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #41
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I moved the 2 lines back to the Custom reading footer style patch and placed it at the very end and that made it work. Yes, I was I copied the exact spaces but possibly the placement wasn't exactly where it wanted to be (I tried so many things I really can't remember where within the patch text I originally tried it).

But it's all working great now as originally posted and the font is changed for the page numbers. Thanks for the help.

Edit: The LeanAndMean=false addition to the config file didn't help the ghosting on my Glo though when making some menu changes. While you don't see those too often, I'll hold off updating the others. I was more trying to be ready for when my Glo HD arrives.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 05-02-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #42
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikssenmar867 View Post
Dear GeoffR, although there is no chess, i'm able to play it as a shortcut is on my homescreen (if i create a tile before the upgrade).
Do you think it is possible to re-activate the game in beta features menu by a patch? Thanks
Maybe this is easier to handle by the calibre plugin. You could ask DavidFor.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #43
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Notes:

The Glo homescreen layout has changed slightly, a bit of extra space at the bottom of the screen in this version, I had to squish up the `Compact homescreen layout` patch for Glo and Aura even more to compensate. I don't know how good it will look on the Aura now.
It's very squished on the Glo HD. There are 11 book tiles. (On my Glo there are 8)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #44
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Maybe this is easier to handle by the calibre plugin. You could ask DavidFor.
No, it would have to be a patch to get it back to the beta features list. The best I can think of otherwise it to add a trigger to the database that sets the date on the tile so that it is always on the home screen.

But, a quick look at libnickel, suggests that all the code is there. Hopefully it is just a matter finding the bit to toggle or otherwise change.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:44 AM   #45
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, it would have to be a patch to get it back to the beta features list. The best I can think of otherwise it to add a trigger to the database that sets the date on the tile so that it is always on the home screen.
Sure, I meant to say that assigning the chess tile constantly to the home screen might probably be an easier way to provide access to the chess application than to put it back to the beta feature list. And it could survive firmware updates.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote