Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
Summer School for Geeks: 11 New Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Article in Wired.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/06/sci-fi-fantasy-books-summer-2012/
Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've always thought of myself as quite the geek (as well as an avid SFF fan), but I may need to revise that opinion if that list was supposed to be targeted at me.

Oh, well... I never liked being easily pigeon-holed anyway.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Thanks for the heads up. I might be checking out a few of those.

Crucible of Gold for sure as the Temeraire series is great.
Blackout is book #3 in the series so I might check out the first one Feed.
Nightshifted and Shadow Ops both look interesting too.

Thanks!

Last edited by vsalvaggio; 07-02-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: spelling
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've always thought of myself as quite the geek (as well as an avid SFF fan), but I may need to revise that opinion if that list was supposed to be targeted at me.

Oh, well... I never liked being easily pigeon-holed anyway.
I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that list. I've read 2312 already (and thought it was fairly weak) and may read Red Shirts, but that's it.

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 06-29-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I don't know, I thought there were a few potentials in there. Red Shirts, the latest Temeraire (I've got the previous six, but haven't read any yet. A bit daft, but the full set will make a nice gift if I don't like them), Dreamblood and the one by Saladin Ahmed all sound like books I might like. The anthology too perhaps, although I'm not really a short story/novella kind of guy.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It's a subjective list and I'm fine with it. The focus is on relatively new releases (either this year or last year) by the co-host of Geek's Guide to the Galaxy. It's not a definitive list but it does list some of the popular new releases.
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I want to try Redshirts, but I truthfully haven't really been that impressed by anything Scalzi's done since Old Man's War. I've sort of become resigned to the fact that he might be a better blogger/SFWA president than an author. I'll still probably give it shot though.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Redshirts was OK. Not great. Not award winning. But a nice quick humorous read. The Temeraire books - I gave up on after book 3. None of the rest really interest me.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I wasn't a big fan of Old Man's War, so I haven't really bothered with anything else by Scalzi.

I really disliked Feed, and I'm just about to finish its equally bad sequel Deadline (although weirdly my expectations were low enough that it hasn't annoyed me so much.) the only way I'm going to read Blackout is if it, too, gets on the Hugo short list. And then I might decide not to sign up to vote next time.

The rest of them are mostly interesting to me. Saladin Ahmed and NK Jemisin are writers worth watching. The consensus is that the last couple of Temeraire books have gone off the boil, but I still enjoyed Tongues of Serpents.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #10
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Blackout + Killing Moon look interesting to me. Possibly Throne of the Crescent Moon too. I'd already decided that 2312 was a buy, for sometime in the future. Thanks for posting this.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I wasn't a big fan of Old Man's War, so I haven't really bothered with anything else by Scalzi.
I really like scifi, but I didn't particularly enjoy Old Man's War for some reason, even though it's considered a "must read" for scifi fans. I think it's Scalzi's humour that rubs me the wrong way.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario
I really disliked Feed, and I'm just about to finish its equally bad sequel Deadline (although weirdly my expectations were low enough that it hasn't annoyed me so much.)
I didn't dislike Feed, I just didn't have many feelings one way or the other about it. Pretty "meh" overall, really. So I've been rather puzzled by the series' frequent award nominations. I know my tastes aren't the only valid ones out there, but even when I don't like something, I can usually recognize the "I know some other people are going to love this" qualities. Those qualities evaded my notice in this case.

Throne of the Crescent Moon was a huge disappointment for me. Mainly because I anticipated it so much, and I'm a huge fan of that particular setting/culture/mythology. So it bummed me out that I was so underwhelmed by it. The dialogue was especially sketchy to me. And I so love dialogue.

Buckell, I'll keep trying, because I sense that someday he's going to write something that clicks with me. But he hasn't yet. He's another "might be a better blogger."

I don't do dragons. Especially dragons that have prominent roles. My loss I'm sure.

This summary for Far Coin by E. C. Meyers, frankly has me brimming with WTF??:
Quote:
Read if you like: young adult science fiction with relatable characters and a strong moral core, crack
Crack?!?