Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 07:52 AM   #106
luc
luc began at the beginning.

Device: Prestigio PER3072B
Reset behavior on a Prestigio PER3072B

Hello everybody & thanks for this very useful thread.

I have bought a Prestigio PER3072B few days ago. It is not so amazing, but is good for the price (approx. 95 EUR in Romania). I didn't managed to play MOV (H.264 or SorensonVideo3) and FLV files yet - i get a pop-up saying "Format error" - but i hope i'll change its firmware thanks to informations i've found here.

An issue that bothers me is when i Reset it, the device simply closes - i expected a restart ... Apparently there is no difference between ShutDown and Reset buttons (except the appearance).
I have to make sure it has no "hardware damage" as i still have few days to change my mind and sent it back.

Can you tell me what is the Next1's (or other PER3072B) behavior on Reset?

Thanks
luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #107
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by luc View Post
Hello everybody & thanks for this very useful thread.

I have bought a Prestigio PER3072B few days ago. It is not so amazing, but is good for the price (approx. 95 EUR in Romania). I didn't managed to play MOV (H.264 or SorensonVideo3) and FLV files yet - i get a pop-up saying "Format error" - but i hope i'll change its firmware thanks to informations i've found here.
The Prestigio 3072B ships with firmware v2.2.2, but a pre-release firmware v2.1.3 has wider video support using the same ebook system software. Just get a copy of the RK2729_v2.1.3.rar available here and flash it as explained here.

Quote:
An issue that bothers me is when i Reset it, the device simply closes - i expected a restart ... Apparently there is no difference between ShutDown and Reset buttons (except the appearance).
Yes, I see that behaviour too! The device just turns off when the usb cable is removed and requires you to manually restart it. You only need to do this once, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Quote:
I have to make sure it has no "hardware damage" as i still have few days to change my mind and sent it back.
I have abused my unit flashing incompatible firmwares and there has never been a hardware problem. Once in a while a frozen screen after a wrong firmware needs me to use the reset pin, but otherwise the device works flawlessly after changing firmwares.

Quote:
Can you tell me what is the Next1's (or other PER3072B) behavior on Reset?

Thanks
The Next1 has two separate images for startup and shutdown whereas the Prestigio 3072B uses only one image, the same one for startup and shutdown. This post shows you what those startup images look like, but otherwise there is no difference on the Next1.

I'm sure you will be happier with firmware v2.1.3. It even will play .mkv files if renamed to just .avi ending filenames.

Enjoy!

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-02-2011 at 08:32 AM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #108
luc

Thank you nrapallo for your prompt and detailed answer.

Reading it, i decided to keep the device.
I will change the firmware to v2.1.3, hoping to play my tons of video-training files in MOV format
Old 02-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #109
lexluthorxx
lexluthorxx began at the beginning.

Device: nextbook
you may still have to modify your mov files to get it to sync audio properly.
lexluthorxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:13 AM   #110
luc

I changed the firmware to 2.1.3 - no improvement, even worse, the movie icon inline with MOV files became a page-with-"?"-sign-under as for non-recognized types. I also changed the extension from MOV to AVI, because AVI (DivX codec inside) are played well also with V2.2.2, but didn't worked.

Finally i switched back to 2.2.2

I noticed inside firmware image some files with codec names and RKL extension - it seems to have the codec i need, but probably is not able to detect it inside played file ...

Any ideea?

Last edited by luc; 02-03-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #111
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luc View Post
I noticed inside firmware image some files with codec names and RKL extension - it seems to have the codec i need, but probably is not able to detect it inside played file ...

Any ideea?
Those two firmwares have EXACTLY the same codes; just that Prestigio's programming of BASE.RKW in the v2.2.2 is newer!

The only thing that will change your video support, unfortunately, is for Prestigio to release a firmware update that makes it work better.

Perhaps, you can contact Prestigio customer support and request those changes and/or ask about any planned firmware updates.

The Next1's firmware development ceased August 2010, before the unit went on sale!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #112
luc

How about a SDK like they say here or here ?

But i guess i also need the firmware source-files ...
Old 02-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #113
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMan View Post
Here is the (hidden) website URL for it. You cannot access it anywhere from thier homepage, I came across this link in one of the many eReader product announcement blogs somewhere.

http://nextbookusa.com/nextbook1.asp
Yep, no specs, nothing, listed, just blank text boxes.
Well, Nextbook has now deleted this webpage. It seems they want to erase ALL association with the Next1. First, liquidation of the unit prior to launch and now removal any trace of it....

Perhaps they didn't want to do any Next1 firmware updates for things that didn't works as expected. However, it seems there are no firmware updates for any of their other products now on sale i.e. Next2 and Next3. Must be firmware-adverse, if there is such a word!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #114
duuri
duuri has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.duuri has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.duuri has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Prestigio 3072b
gallery still there
duuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #115
nrapallo

Thumbs up Good things to come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
There's talk of a planned firmware release for the Prestigio PER3072B in the Russian forum per user EOL.
User EOL posted in that Russian thread above that they have a (unreleased) working firmware update that addresses some new features, namely (as translated from Russian using Google Translate):
Quote:
From what has already been implemented (v.2.3.2)
1. Added at REFLOW "prosmore" PDF.
2. for viewing text files have been added night mode.
3. For text files in PDB format is added automatically select the correct character set.
4. Reflow after resizing "shriftavo" all supported formats other than PDF and EPUB.
5. when viewing images in a slide show and rotation by 180 degrees ustrostva (monitored by G-Sensor) "pereklyuchayustya" upper and lower buttons.
Any more specific information would be welcomed...
Old 02-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #116
duuri
duuri has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.duuri has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.duuri has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

great! 3. solves all my problems hopefully
Old 02-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #117
duuri

hi,
on prestigio ftp pop-up something new
http://marketing.prestigio.com/$Customer_Support/Drivers/eBook-Reader/PER3072B/

that are problem files so next indication that there is new firmware coming
Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #118
GeoCenturion
GeoCenturion began at the beginning.

Device: Next1
Hi! This thread helped me out with my Next1, wow, thanks all!

I have worked on the video/audio sync issue and here is my solution you may want to try.

Firmware: v2.1.3
Handbreak .9.5

Only these settings were changed:

Container: MKV File

Under the Video Tab:
Video Codec: MPEG-4
Frame rate: 15
QP: 9

Under the Audio Tab:
Bitrate: 64

Important Note: After the conversion change the file name to end in .avi in order for Next1 to accept the format.

GeoCenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #119
duuri

new firmware for prestigio is up http://marketing.prestigio.com/$Customer_Support/Drivers/eBook-Reader/PER3072B/

edit: ok flashed it under win 7 x64.. system info on device shows version 2.3.2
i noticed few differences:
- device powers up faster also i must hold power button for 1-2 second previously 5 sec..
- whole device works little bit faster

Last edited by duuri; 02-19-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #120
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by duuri View Post
new firmware for prestigio is up http://marketing.prestigio.com/$Customer_Support/Drivers/eBook-Reader/PER3072B/
WOW! WOW! WOW! You have to upgrade to this latest v2.3.2 firmware!!!!!!

This firmware v2.3.2 is awesome! It has NO audio sync issues and thus I no longer need to down-convert any videos....

It retains all the previous ebook reader functions and adds .pdf re-flow, which is implemented under the Menu item called "Re-alignment".

The changelog indicates the following improvements:
Click image for larger version

Name:	firmware_v232-changelog-translated.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	66952

I note that the new "night mode" only works with .txt files and not with .epub or .pdf ebooks! (I would appreciate it if anyone could provide a better English translation than Google Translate )

I wanted to see what files were changed within the firmware rom .img from v2.2.2 and this v.2.3.2 and note them here:
Click image for larger version

Name:	firmware_v232-diffs.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	66953

This now is the BEST 7" 600x800 LCD ebook reader/PMP I know of...

THANKS primarily goes to the people at Prestigio for continually wanting to sell (AND SUPPORT) a top-notch product. I think they have succeeded and only wish they would consider selling in North America! Value-added Vendors like Prestigio are scarce and I know I would buy from them if I could!

Tags
next1, nextbook, per3072b, prestigio