Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #1171
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I should have the nook and Kindle in about 1 week from the US, then I'll compare.
So ... you bought them both? ...

By the way, I have not checked your sign or profile, but did you buy the Kindle Touch too?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #1172
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
So ... you bought them both? ...

By the way, I have not checked your sign or profile, but did you buy the Kindle Touch too?
I've bought the Kobo touch about a week ago from German "Saturn" market.
Today I've bought the Sony touch there as well.
Today I've bought a second Kobo touch as well for all the side loaded content.
I've ordered nook touch and Kindle touch from the US, both will arrive the same time in about one week.

I clearly prefer the Kobo touch to the Sony touch.
But I finally decided for the Sony touch as well because of the 300 Sony books I have.

On the 2nd Kobo I'll load the rest of my books, not already covered by the other touch readers.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #1173
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I clearly prefer the Kobo touch to the Sony touch.
Why? what do you like so much of the Kobo's .... can't remember, does it have landscape mode?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #1174
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Why? what do you like so much of the Kobo's .... can't remember, does it have landscape mode?
First of all, I don't need any ADE DRM Activation on Kobo.
I don't like the ADE scheme, on and on again I have to request new activations. Sometimes 3 or even 5 of them on a single tablet...

Then I like the integrated Kobo bookstore. Very much reminds of the Kindle bookstore.
Sony basically directs you to their website, no "special" frontend on the reader.

The Sony reader has buttons for turning pages or "home" below the screen. We know this all to well from Sony 600 and others. It only adds about 1.5cm to the height, but still: Totally useless on a touchscreen unit. And it looks somewhat "cheap".

The bezel of the Sony is very shiny. I find it a bit distracting. And again: Looks a bit "cheap".

It's very hard to compare. But I think, the Kobo reader over all is a bit more responsive.

I'd wish for a Sony 900 with this new touchscreen technology. Really did love its form factor.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #1175
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I'd wish for a Sony 900 with this new touchscreen technology. Really did love its form factor.
Doesn't that already exist in the form of the PRS-950?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #1176
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Doesn't that already exist in the form of the PRS-950?
Partially. And I've considered it back then (18 months ago?), when it came out.
But, as far as I know, it's a different touch technology. I find the IR on Kobo or Sony (probably same on nook and Kindle) highly responsive.
Someone, in another thread, even mentioned, the touchscreen responding to a snowflake (which he didn't like, since he couldn't read on the train station while it was snowing).
And I really loved the cover of the Sony 900. It was using the back of the unit, similar to the cover of Samsung Galaxy Note. Meaning: There only was a front flap, no back needed. Whereas the Sony 950 did have the standard Sony cover.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #1177
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But, as far as I know, it's a different touch technology. I find the IR on Kobo or Sony (probably same on nook and Kindle) highly responsive.
The PRS-600 uses a different touch technology which adds a translucent layer over the e-ink screen.

As far as I'm aware, the PRS-x50 series (that includes the PRS-950) all use IR-based touchscreen technology same as the one used in current model e-ink readers. I have a PRS-350 and it's highly responsive. It's even more responsive compared to my LCD devices (iPhone, Android smartphones, TouchPad, etc) with capacitive display.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #1178
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
The PRS-600 uses a different touch technology which adds a translucent layer over the e-ink screen.

As far as I'm aware, the PRS-x50 series (that includes the PRS-950) all use IR-based touchscreen technology same as the one used in current model e-ink readers. I have a PRS-350 and it's highly responsive. It's even more responsive compared to my LCD devices (iPhone, Android smartphones, TouchPad, etc) with capacitive display.
The Wiki http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Reader only mentions IR for Sony 650 and 350, not for the 950.
Back then, I guess I was misled by the stylus. I had expected something in the line of WACOM.
If it's really IR, it would have been highly interesting.
Question to me: Where's the improvement in the new T1 then? Is it just the price? About half the price of the former units...
The Wiki calls the display of T1 "Dual Touch IR", whereas the other Sony readers only are called "IR"?!

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-05-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #1179
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
If it's really IR, it would have been highly interesting.
Yes, it is IR. Whoever edited that Wiki page probably just missed it.

Quote:
“Sony was actually the first to license and include Neonode’s infrared touch-screen technology in last year’s PRS-350, PRS-650, and PRS-950 Readers. Since then, both Barnes & Noble and Kobo have incorporated the technology into their latest touch-screen e-readers. Because that technology uses infrared sensors to register touch gestures on screen, it’s allowed e-reader manufacturers to make touch-screen interfaces without adding an extra screen layer that reduces contrast”
- Cnet News, August 31, 2011, “Sony Reader Wi-Fi Puts Kindle in It’s sights”
Quote:
Question to me: Where's the improvement in the new T1 then? Is it just the price? About half the price of the former units...
The Wiki calls the display of T1 "Dual Touch IR", whereas the other Sony readers only are called "IR"?!
Frankly, I see the PRS-T1 as more of a downgrade. Supposedly, it's an upgrade over the 6" PRS-650 (faster CPU, inclusion of Wi-Fi, etc) but the earlier PRS-x50 models just look and feel better. I reckon the Dual Touch IR means it has the ability to support two-finger gestures such as pinch, etc (if the firmware allows for it).
Old 03-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #1180
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
...I reckon the Dual Touch IR means it has the ability to support two-finger gestures such as pinch, etc (if the firmware allows for it).
Seems to make sense. The manual (just checked it) describes the usual pinch/zoom gesture = 2 fingers.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-06-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #1181
mgmueller
Member Retired

touch: Kobo vs. Sony vs. Kindle vs. nook

For now, starting with Kobo and Sony.
I'll add nook and Kindle in about 1 week, as soon as I've got them from the US.

Speed for turning pages:
Sony: My gut feeling at first was differently. The OS isn't that responsive, this probably clouds the entire feel about speed. But for turning pages, speed on Sony is spectacular.
Kobo: I have to do some further testing. But so far, for the 5 or so books I've tested in direct comparison, speed for turning pages on Kobo is about 1 second slower than on Sony. It's still okay and you only see it in direct comparison. Then it's pretty obvious.

Layout options (fonts, margins, ...):
Sony: Options on Sony are extremely limited. Font sizes and some fonts.
Kobo: You can define more or less "everything": Margins, line spacings, fonts, ...

Gestures for turning pages:
Sony: So far, I've only found a single option: You can define, whether you want to swipe from left to right or vice versa for turning pages.
Kobo: You've got various options. For example, you can define the width of the area, where you want to tip for turning pages.

Responsiveness of the UI:
Sony: Scrolling through your library and such isn't very fast, close to annoying.
Kobo: Way faster than Sony. My gut feeling says, it's one of my fastest readers.

Display quality:
The display itself (the old discussion) of course should have the same quality.
But choice and boldness of fonts and such of course has its impact.
Sony: Even with Kindle 3, I would say. Probably about the best you can expect from Pearl displays.
Kobo: The text is a bit less dark. I have to play with the fonts. But in the standard settings, Sony display appears a bit more contrast-rich.

Managing the library:
Sony: You can use the famous collections, directly on the reader.
Kobo: You've got the typical sorting options, but that's it.

Book stores:
Sony: It's more or less the original website. Some links have been dead and I actually got the usual browser interface.
I haven't bought a new book yet. In the past I had to use gift cards outside of the US. The German bookstore isn't available at all (yet).
Kobo: It very much reminds of the Kindle bookstore. There's a vast German section and I can use my German credit card without any problems at all.

Scribble function:
Personally, I don't need it. But some of my friends love to scribble notes into their (e)Books.
Sony: So far, I only have ePUBS (originally bought from Sony) on mine. You can scribble easy enough. I guess this can be done for all the other file formats as well.
Kobo: I haven't found any scribble function.

Over all impression:
I've had 5 Sony readers before. In direct comparison, Sony T1 by far looks the "cheapest". Very plasticky, whereas Sony 505 and Sony 900 for example (back then) had been designed on a top quality level. Of course this shifting from metal to plastic means, Sony T1 is extremely light. But it seems way less "valuable".
Kobo isn't much more "exclusive", but still somehow seems a bit more elegant.
The interface of Kobo seems a bit "cleaner" and more consistent within the various menus.
Sony and Kobo both have their own bookstore, which is a huge plus for me. I don't want to buy books via browser and such, I conveniently want to use a well designed store.
I clearly prefer the Kobo over Sony. Sony I mainly bought because of the books I had bought before.

More later on...

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-07-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #1182
mgmueller
Member Retired

iPad 3 shipping confirmation

Just received the email from Apple:
My iPad 3 is on its way!
I guess, there's no way I'll get it before Friday - but there's always hope.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #1183
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
So far: I really like the Kobo touch. Very basic reader, plain and simple. None obtrusive, entirely goes out of your way and you simply can focus on reading.
I've been reading some complaints in the Kobo forum about book recommendations taking up too much of the screen, people being fed up with social integration tools, what amounts to ad-ware on their Kobo etc (and also issues with unresponsive taps & double page-turns). Are you using the latest firmware (1.9.16 I think), and is none of this an issue as far as you are concerned?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #1184
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Just received the email from Apple:
My iPad 3 is on its way!
I guess, there's no way I'll get it before Friday - but there's always hope.
Are you keeping the previous iPads?
Old 03-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #1185
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I've been reading some complaints in the Kobo forum about book recommendations taking up too much of the screen, people being fed up with social integration tools, what amounts to ad-ware on their Kobo etc (and also issues with unresponsive taps & double page-turns). Are you using the latest firmware (1.9.16 I think), and is none of this an issue as far as you are concerned?
I'm using the latest firmware 1.9.16.
I don't have any of these issues on Kobo touch.

The only issue I have for now: About half of my Mobipocket files (DRM-stripped original .prc files) won't open. Even with the Mobipocket files that are working, the first opening of a book takes quite some time, maybe 15 seconds.
No biggy to me. Originally I hadn't even thought about Mobipocket files. But then I decided to buy 2 Kobo readers. One (white) for the original Kobo files from the Kobo store. The other one (black) only for side loaded content. I've tried some of my DRM-stripped PDFs, all working perfectly. Then I've tried DRM-stripped EPUBs, flawless as well.

Over all, Kobo is highly responsive. But I don't have any problems with responsiveness on Sony touch either. I'll compare to nook and Kindle tomorrow, when I get them.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-11-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test