Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Gadgetguy
Connoisseur
Gadgetguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Sony PRS-650 - should I return it or ebay it?

Hello all,

I have told so many people that I wanted a PRS650, that I ended up with two...

I bought one about a month ago, and I got today as a gift another one, together with a Sony case (but with no receipt...)

So I could try to return the one I bought, or I could try to sell/ebay the brand new one with the Sony case (pouch style).

Are these units still so much in demand (i.e. difficult to find) than a month to two ago?

I would appreciate your advice.

Thank you all
Gadgetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Before you try to eBay it, I might suggest trying the Flea Market thread here on MR.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest getting the receipt from the person who gifted it and returning it. Less hassle.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Keep it as a spare in case you break one.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
They are fetching a great price on the Bay!! In many cases more that list price. Used 950's are going for just a little more than the 650.

Ebay the 650 and pick up a 950. Then you have both!!!
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
If you do ebay it make sure you send it with signature request if it goes over $250.

If you don't and they claim they didn't get it they get their money back no matter what. If you have the card signed and returned to you there will be no problems unless ebay has changed rules again.
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I would keep it as a spare one just in case it is the last model of ebook reader Sony made.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I would keep it as a back up. When I found my screen broken last week, i would have loved to have a back up. Hell, I considered picking up a Nook or Kobo when I saw them on sale for under $100 so I would have a back up. A 650 back up is even better.

Keep it.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Keep it as a spare in case you break one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I would keep it as a spare one just in case it is the last model of ebook reader Sony made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
I would keep it as a back up. When I found my screen broken last week, i would have loved to have a back up. Hell, I considered picking up a Nook or Kobo when I saw them on sale for under $100 so I would have a back up. A 650 back up is even better.

Keep it.
Or is it quatro?

I bought a spare. Just in case. One never knows...
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
<aol>Me Too!!!</aol>

I'd keep it as a spare. It's such a fantastic reader, and they've been so hard to find. If you break one you may find you can't get another.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
I bought a spare. Just in case. One never knows...
Semi-OT: My first ebook reader was a Handspring Visor PDA, bought around 2001. I used it for an unremembered length of time, then one day pulled it out of the case to find the screen broken. I lived without for years until in 2004, when I thought about looking for a replacement screen (I had kept the PDA) on Ebay, and ended up getting a whole replacement PDA for around a quarter of what I paid for the first one. Over the next several years, I'd sometimes watch Ebay for Handspring Visors and occasionally buy one or an auction of a few, sometimes for as low as $5.00 per PDA. I was able to swap parts between broken units to build working ones. I ended up with as many as around 10 working units plus spare parts at any one time. I think there was only one other time I broke a screen (minutes after switching a very nice, scratch-free screen onto the unit, when it slipped out of my shirt pocket when I bent down to pick up something that had fell on the floor) but I liked always having a few spares around, "just in case." Even had backup modules (the Visors had a Gameboy-like expansion slot in the back) so that I could in minutes configure a fresh PDA to match an old one.

I don't have a spare for my 350 (though I wish I did) but I still have that pile of old PDAs if worse comes to worst.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Since someone was so nice to give you a reader I suggest giving one away to someone else. As they say "pay it forward."
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #13
Gadgetguy
Connoisseur
Gadgetguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thank you all for the replies.

Keeping it as a backup is a good idea; however I have so many toys that if I were to keep a backup for all, my wife would probably divorce me...

Up on ebay it goes - if the person who contacted me here expressing interest does not get it first.
Gadgetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #14
alstein
Enthusiast
alstein began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Has Sony announced anything about not continuing to manufacture ebook readers?
alstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstein View Post
Has Sony announced anything about not continuing to manufacture ebook readers?
Nope. The readers are just so good, one tends to get a wee bit paranoid of not having one.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote