Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Question Buying from WHSmith - compatibillity?

I was interested in making the most of the half price eBook offer WHSmith currently have, but was wondering which format was best to go for? It states on their help pages that "The Amazon Kindle does not currently support eBooks protected with Mobipocket DRM". I wasn't sure if therefore it made sense to go down the PDF route instead.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm new to this whole eBooks malarky.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
The majority of the PDF books sold on WH Smith are DRM protected and require Adobe Digital editions management. This type of DRM is not supported by the kindle. WH Smith do not sell books which are compatible with the kindle. The only way you would be able to read books bought from WH Smith on your kindle would be to remove, the DRM first, and then if it were a PDF you could put it directly onto your device. ePUB books would require conversion before you could put it onto your kindle.

It depends if you want to get into the business of DRM stripping.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Is DRM stripping legal?
Old 08-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinath View Post
Is DRM stripping legal?
Pretty sure it's not legal in the UK. Many folks have no issue in disinfecting books they've purchased for their own personal use (who's to know as long as you aren't passing the books around), but that's an individual decision.

If you were to strip DRM you'd be best off either buying Mobipocket format books or buying ePub books and converting them to Mobi for the Kindle. Personally I usually stay far away from PDF.

I'd assume the WH Smith sale is in response to the opening of the UK Kindle store. Are the sales prices better than Amazon's prices? The few books I checked were still cheaper on Amazon.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 08-16-2010 at 12:37 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Since you'll need to strip the DRM anyway, I wouldn't recommend you start with the PDF files unless you have no other choice. PDF files hardly ever look great on a 6" screen.

LIT and ePub files both convert easily and of course mobi can be read natively on the Kindle.

Also keep an eye on Amazon to price match whatever books you're looking at - even notify them of the cheaper prices. Amazon.com is pretty aggressive about price matching so I have to think Amazon.co.uk will be too.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Erinath
Shy Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Many folks have no issue in disinfecting books they've purchased for their own personal use (who's to know as long as you aren't passing the books around), but that's an individual decision.
If I decide to go down the DRM stripping route, which I'm not at all convinced I would, it would definitely only be for my own use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'd assume the WH Smith sale is in response to the opening of the UK Kindle store. Are the sales prices better than Amazon's prices? The few books I checked were still cheaper on Amazon.
Every eBook is at least half price, so some of the text books I need are available considerably cheaper than Amazon. They are books I'll have physical copies of too, would just like to not have to take a heavy pile of books into uni if I could be carrying just the weight of a Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Also keep an eye on Amazon to price match whatever books you're looking at - even notify them of the cheaper prices. Amazon.com is pretty aggressive about price matching so I have to think Amazon.co.uk will be too.
That's something I hadn't thought of. Thanks, I'd much rather have totally legit copies.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
not legal in uk
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:53 AM   #8
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
The few books I looked at were about 1 or 2p more expensive that Amazon so very nearly price matching. Good news for those who use EPUBS.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinath View Post
Is DRM stripping legal?
In the UK, copying ebooks from one device to another without permission is illegal. It does not increase the illegality to strip DRM in the process. This is because the UK's laws are out of date, and the situation is likely to change soon (probably not for the better in most circumstances). See Shakeup of 'absurd' copyright law demanded.

In practice, there is zero chance of anyone in the UK facing legal action for stripping DRM and/or format shifting for personal use ebooks that they bought from (say) WHSmith.

For the Kindle, I suggest buying the ePub version, stripping the DRM and then shifting to MOBI using Calibre. This will typically give you a better ebook than starting from a PDF.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:38 AM   #10
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter

Device: iPad
My take is:
1. Download mobipocket reader drom mobipocket.com and install it on your pc (i assume youre running pc). this will make life so much easy later on.
2. Understand how to strip ADE epub drm - and only epub - by googling, then find the appropriate utilities to do the process.
3. Start buying epub from whsmith.
4. Strip the drm off your purchased epub.
5. Run mobipocket reader, drop your stripped epub there. The reader will magically convert your epub into mobi format. See, easy. No need to calibre or whatever.
6. Right-click on your boom title in mobipocket reader and choose "show in explorer". You'll see your mobi version ebook, and ready to copy it to your kindle documents folder.

Cheers.
thianliongpatpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:41 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by thianliongpatpoh View Post
5. Run mobipocket reader, drop your stripped epub there. The reader will magically convert your epub into mobi format. See, easy. No need to calibre or whatever.
Except AFAIK Mobi Reader doesn't add the chapter marks (for the Kindle's progress bar) from the ePub's ncx like Calibre does, or does it? Not a huge deal, but I find I like having those marks.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote