Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 05:01 AM   #1
Coleccionista
Connoisseur
Coleccionista began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Question Sync changes made in iTunes

I am new to epub and I have been adding some books to iTunes. I noticed that adding a proper cover creates a iTunesArtWork file inside the .epub but when you open the file in Calibre it doesn't detect the cover.
Is there any option so Calibre can set this file as the default cover so it works in general .epub software?
The file appears to be a normal image without extension and iTunes appears to accept cover.jpg so I guess it could be just a renaming issue or setting the relevant tags to point to the iTunesArtWork file.

A different (.plist) file appears to save the author display name (corrected from lastname, firstname to firstname lastname), the album info (which I used for Series) the track info (n of nnn which I used to indicate series order) that also are not reflected when opening the .epub with Calibre and general .epub software.

Can all the changes I have been making in iTunes be reflected in a more "epub-standard" way without me having to setting author / book info and cover in different applications?

Thanks
Coleccionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleccionista View Post
Can all the changes I have been making in iTunes be reflected in a more "epub-standard" way without me having to setting author / book info and cover in different applications?
I have zero experience with iTunes or iPad, but if you want to minimize the applications you use to manage your books then just use calibre to add books and edit the information and stop editing / adding books via iTunes. Check this thread for info on the Connect to iTunes feature of calibre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Coleccionista
Connoisseur

Yes indeed, but since I have already did a lot of polishing in iTunes I'd prefer not to lose it and mass-correct with a dedicated tool.
Also iTunes syncs everything else to the devices so my original ideas was to keep everything in there and maybe fix things with specific tools (like mp3tag for audio files or Calibre for ebooks) in a sort of regular(automatic) maintenance.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleccionista View Post
Yes indeed, but since I have already did a lot of polishing in iTunes I'd prefer not to lose it and mass-correct with a dedicated tool.
Also iTunes syncs everything else to the devices so my original ideas was to keep everything in there and maybe fix things with specific tools (like mp3tag for audio files or Calibre for ebooks) in a sort of regular(automatic) maintenance.
I understand and I'm not sure if there is a way to get the work you did in iTunes transferred to calibre. You might want to post on the previous thread I referred to, I'm sure the person who developed the connect to iTunes calibre option might have some ideas.

All I'm saying is in the future it seems like for books you should do the polishing in calibre then connect to iTunes and upload the polished books.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
Coleccionista
Connoisseur

On that issue I found the way to set the iTunesArtwork as a proper cover.

Edit the content OPF file and set
Code:
<meta name="cover" content="iTunesArtwork"/>

<manifest>

<item href="iTunesArtwork" id="iTunesArtwork" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
Obviously I am not going to do all my library by hand but if Calibre does not add any friendly option in this regard I think I might try to write some script to unpack, modify and repack the EPUBs.

I don't give up easily on my modifications

Even better would be rename the iTunesArtwork to cover.jpg|png and add the semantics as needed.
Advert